• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Boy have I gone over to the dark side.

Zonie

Reaction score
First Name
John
Last Name
Ebert
Over Labor Day a buddy and I went to the Chief Blackhawk motorcycle show and swap meet. Almost 1000 miles one way for me and over 1500 miles for my friend. It was great, not to hot and no rain.
I picked up a 1963 Mobylette moped, 49cc of raw power which might do 40mph down hill. I also found a parts bike. My buddy found a 53 Victoria Vicky, also a moped. He has around 10 mopeds of different makes and models all of them all save one running.
The one I got has 650 miles showing. Could be a fun project to run around at shows and swap meets.
Here are a few pictures.

Thank you. I have been busy servicing the old girl. New tires packing bearings and a new belt. Once I get her up and running well I might take her apart and give her a much needed paint job. I expect the biggest use will be at swap meets, much easier to get around on than walking. Had knee surgery last spring and forced marches are not on the table.

I had one in Colombia, my father importe de it from Spain and I used it to go to school.out house was on a steep hill and I had to zig-zag my way up. Loved it.

Uriois to know how much you paid for it...

Thank you. I have been busy servicing the old girl. New tires packing bearings and a new belt. Once I get her up and running well I might take her apart and give her a much needed paint job. I expect the biggest use will be at swap meets, much easier to get around on than walking. Had knee surgery last spring and forced marches are not on the table.
I think it would look cool with the faded paint that is on it myself. :deal:

Reactions: Vec
I'd like to have something just a bit more hp to do one of these small bore rally rides. maybe 100-150cc. Seems like fun if I remember my youth...

Yeah, that's a big thing in the survivor muscle car world these days; just shoot a couple coats of clear over the existing patina.
Now that is a good idea.
She is pretty complete with the tool kit and tire pump. Having an issue with the "variator" clutch, it keeps slipping. But after 56 years I can't complain.

...I picked up a 1963 Mobylette moped, 49cc of raw power....
I'd like to have something just a bit more hp to do one of these small bore rally rides. maybe 100-150cc. Seems like fun if I remember my youth...

Nice find Zonie. Yes, these small bore rally rides are enjoyable ... yes, they do help rekindle a little youtful spirt. I concur the 100-125-150-175-200cc bikes are generally more enjoyable, as the 50-70cc bikes take some extra patience and understanding to ride any distance.

By the way Zonie, please tell us a little more about the Royal Enfield Twin in the background. :pirate:

Picked up the RE at the dealer in Ft. Worth. Fun bike to ride, plenty of power. First new bike that I have purchased since 1976 when I bought my 850 Norton Commando.
The down side is getting it set up the way that I want. Luggage rack and seat had to come out of India, good quality just takes time to get it here. Got the dealer to down load the shop book onto a thumb drive, not that I have needed it just wanted it.

I think it would look cool with the faded paint that is on it myself. :deal:

+1. patina rocks.

reminds me of a Sears moped I was given. mom had a litter of kittens in the front yard when I actually got it running.
what she never knew was how scared I was, remembering it had no brakes.

These were sold by Wards, the parts bike even has a vin tag with Montgomery Wards on it. As for brakes I expect these will suck too such as they are.
Got the clutch sorted out, now I'm dealing with the ignition. Have new motor mounting bushings on order, got new grips, tires, petcock, fuel cap and condenser.
Did get the 64 G80 Matchless running today, so the day isn't a total loss.

I am thinking I might ride the Matchless to the January pie ride.
Why be normal?

These were sold by Wards, the parts bike even has a vin tag with Montgomery Wards on it. As for brakes I expect these will suck too such as they are.
Got the clutch sorted out, now I'm dealing with the ignition. Have new motor mounting bushings on order, got new grips, tires, petcock, fuel cap and condenser.
Did get the 64 G80 Matchless running today, so the day isn't a total loss.View attachment 245989
Nice. Cannot wait to see it in person.

I see no reason.
Boy, you do have a few nice toys. Hate to think what it costs to get the B-17 off the ground.
I will never be considered normal by most people, I enjoy old and different bikes. All save 1 shift on the right.

Hate to think what it costs to get the B-17 off the ground.

Obviously that's not mine, but I do serve on her. And wrench. Costs about 4 grand an hour to fly we figure.
Burns about 200+ gallons of LL100 AvGas an hour. The very antithesis of fuel efficient.

I put that in my list wondering if anyone actually reads those. Congrats! :lol2:

Just ran across a pic I took a couple years ago operating out of Stinson. Stuff of dreams.

It lives! Got way more money in it than it's worth. But I have been out running up and down the local streets. Slow but fun. Top speed is about 25mph. Might re-gear it with a smaller rear sprocket. It is amazing how much stuff there out there for these things.
I do love bringing old bikes back to life.
Hot on the hunt for my next project.

Attachments

• 20200427_160929.jpg
    20200427_160929.jpg
    721.2 KB · Views: 242
Back