• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New to me KZ650

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
So I was just given a 78 KZ650 in disrepair but all in all a pretty much intact motorcycle. I love "free" motorcycles!
I need to go thru the carbs and see if it will run. Any advice or tips for these bikes would be appreciated.
Pics tomorrow.

Here she is....

Attachments

• 17F2D42F-153A-4D7A-A253-C158B5234D07.jpeg
    17F2D42F-153A-4D7A-A253-C158B5234D07.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 331
  • 7C49088C-0DE3-48A4-B474-DF69CAB67F10.jpeg
    7C49088C-0DE3-48A4-B474-DF69CAB67F10.jpeg
    527.8 KB · Views: 321
  • ADBE257E-4CD9-4BFD-9823-5186B5443E3F.jpeg
    ADBE257E-4CD9-4BFD-9823-5186B5443E3F.jpeg
    449 KB · Views: 322
Good stuff. I would be all about someone giving me a free motorcycle to fix up. I spend money on those lol!

I had a 1980 model. Loved it. Fix it up and ride it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My 78 KZ650 was red. Stock other than a rear backrest and a Vetter Windjammer clone. It was my first foray into LD riding. I had a lot of fun with it before the fairing went on, and it only tried to kill me three times. I was young, dumb, and very inexperienced. And lucky.

Woo-wee she's been ridden hard and put up wet. That tank has seen the Hard Knock Life

That's a pretty good price though.

Yeah the *** brother took a baseball bat to the tank due to a disagreement.
Bike has a full dyna coil ignition upgrade so no points which is kinda nice.

The big thing used to be to drop a 1000 engine in there. Only the real Kawboys could spot it. That made the 650 one heckuva sleeper.

Hey, I have pretty much that same bike in project mode. As in: sitting for a few years.
Mine's a single front disc, in way better shape than that, but it's been sitting for some time with the carbs off.
It ran and sounded ok when I got it, but the carbs are full of crap, and the tank needs lining.

Pics on a drive somewhere, will dig for them later.

BTW, I get to Conroe often to work on the old bomber. Comparing notes can be fun.
I haven't been to KZ650.info in a long time, but it's a great place for information and tips.

kindova barn find, except they forgot to put it IN the barn. as rescued from a ranch in Medina. no telling where the post-cleanup pics are.

^^^thats cool.
What bomber?

I had someone make me a heck of an offer so the KZ is gone.

^^^thats cool.
What bomber?

I had someone make me a heck of an offer so the KZ is gone.

B-17 over at General Aviation Services, Conroe airport. It's in winter MX right now.

If it's not too personal, what did "heck of an offer" come to? Looking for a benchmark for mine.

$400 bucks. Considering I got the bike for free, it had sat outside uncovered w/ the carbs off and has sand in places it shouldn’t, I thought that was a deal.

Thanks, that's about what I paid for mine, and it was running at the time. To the right person I might get 1200 out of mine, completed with clear title. It has new tires, chain, V&H 4-1 exhaust, and cleaned up real nice. Really gotta finish it!!

Hey did you ever get the old KZ running?

No but it's slowly climbing the ladder of things to get to. My last post was end of December '19 and then the wheels came off of everything.
It ran before I yanked the carbs and I do have a new can of Berryman's, just need to get to it.
Work is going in the toilet again, so time is coming soon.

Sure do miss that bike. Kinda like a first girlfriend.

It can be yours. ;-)

The backrest is hideous but it's a great grab handle for rolling it around.
I also have the correct seat and a Saddlemen cover for the one you see..
That's a '80 seat someone redid and I took the foam hump pad off. Just lightly glued on.
V&H 4 into 1 header, much newer tires. And no money. It's a buyers market right here!

Back