• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2020 Around the Bend

Status
Not open for further replies.
River Road west can have some sandy patches that if you go too slow on will be a challenge. I rode it last March with my DR650 with fully inflated Shinko 700 tires without a problem. I've had more dirt oriented tires before, these are apparently 60 street / 40 off road tires. My bike is heavier than your DRZ so if you have decent tires it shouldn't be a problem. Rode Old Ore last week with a squared off and balding Shinko 700 rear and didn't have a problem except one section that was sandy and I was going too slow. I'm hopefully getting a new tire this or next week.

A few years back River Road got a good rider on a 1200GS a few times, at least that's how many times I helped him pick it up. Bike was fully loaded for camping too. The last time it went down he got trapped under it and I lifted it without help, was pretty tired at that point. I would suggest a lighter bike. After the sandy part he was fine the rest of the way.

If you don't want sand or very little stay on River Road east and Glen Springs roads. Old Ore is more challenging, Black Gap is the most challenging if you have little off road experience. I did BG once and am fine not doing it again. Old Ore is fun though and scenic. Mariscal Mine is a neat place to visit.

I need to make reservations, would also hope to be staying at Chisos Mining Co. I've stayed there 3 times before. Going out Wednesday if it works out, going home Sunday.

There was a very experienced hiker that died a few weeks back and another that made the local news a few months ago. Speaking last week to a fellow I know that is involved with the Terlingua EMS station (he's on the board of directors) said there's a lot more of that going on than makes the news. Hydration is key as you probably know, even in cooler months. Still lots of folks hike without issue. The nearest hospital is in Alpine, 90 minutes away. There is a Paramedic in Terlingua which is nice, they're more qualified than EMT's.
I’ll be on a KTM 1290 SAR to give River Road a go(minus Black Gap probably). I only have one bike so it has to do the trick. I just hope my *** isn’t too sore from the Houston to BBNP ride. Anybody else coming out on a large adventure bike?

Find a friend (or local Adv/TWTer) and hit the sandy roads up by Castell. Riding in sand is a skill, and once learned, it's fun. Until you learn it, it's a huge amount of work and potentially dangerous. I consider myself "learned" and still had a small off last time I did River Road.

Jeff - thanks for the advice. I am all for getting proper training for off pavement techniques; esp sand! I have recently researched for dual sport class or instructor within reasonable range with no luck. Considered taking the DRZ to Dragoo big adv bike classes but schedule has not worked.
Sent an email to Hidden Falls today to see if they know of anyone.

As for me knowing someone that has the goods and is willing to take a day to tutor me: I don’t know anyone and that is not something I am comfortable asking the forum.

But I will step up looking for You Tube videos for off pavement riding techniques; there are some good ones out there - just not my preferred way to try to learn!

If possible, send me details via DM on the location of sand you mentioned near Castell!

River Road west can have some sandy patches that if you go too slow on will be a challenge. I rode it last March with my DR650 with fully inflated Shinko 700 tires without a problem. I've had more dirt oriented tires before, these are apparently 60 street / 40 off road tires. My bike is heavier than your DRZ so if you have decent tires it shouldn't be a problem...

If you don't want sand or very little stay on River Road east and Glen Springs roads. Old Ore is more challenging, Black Gap is the most challenging if you have little off road experience. I did BG once and am fine not doing it again. Old Ore is fun though and scenic. Mariscal Mine is a neat place ....

Thanks “not dave”! Great advice - I will target RR East and Glen Springs for sure.
Would love to do Old Ore as “scenic and fun” is what I am looking for (depending on what “fun” means [emoji6])
Hope to see you there.

Jeff - thanks for the advice. I am all for getting proper training for off pavement techniques; esp sand! I have recently researched for dual sport class or instructor within reasonable range with no luck. Considered taking the DRZ to Dragoo big adv bike classes but schedule has not worked.

As for me knowing someone that has the goods and is willing to take a day to tutor me: I don’t know anyone and that is not something I am comfortable asking the forum.

But I will step up looking for You Tube videos for off pavement riding techniques; there are some good ones out there - just not my preferred way to try to learn!

If possible, send me details via DM on the location of sand you mentioned near Castell!
Just watch some YouTube videos, you'll be fine.

I used to ride a lot of sand, on a 3 wheeler then a 4 wheeler out at the Imperial Sand Dunes in SoCal (1990's). Never rode sand on a 2 wheeler until Big Bend. Much different. Didn't go down though.

EETTU if I can make this I will be on an R1150GS or Tiger 800XC. The GS has low CoG and the Tiger steering damper and Touratech spring kit. 6 of one half dozen of the other. And I will be camping out of my van.

You are in Austin - you've got a great offroad training area nearby - Hidden Falls Adventure Park - not much in the way of sand, but it is a great training ground for offroad riding on the rocky and hill terrain you can encounter in BB. You mention it above so I assume you are familiar with it - if not check it out. Most of BB roads are much tamer than what you will find at HF, but riding there will help give you skills and confidence for the relatively more difficult patches at BB. You can start to sticking to the boundry roads and then as you get more comfortable go get up close and personal with the single track. Post up when you are going to be there and you'll probably get a few folks to join you. Or - just go ride it by yourself- all good. Best way to learn is just to ride it. There are several good off road technique books on the market and YouTube video series. At the end of the day - seat time is what is going to do it. Have fun! Like any skill it is difficult in the beginning, you'll probably over think it, but it all starts to jell pretty soon- and then it is just twist and smile!

EETTU if I can make this I will be on an R1150GS or Tiger 800XC. The GS has low CoG and the Tiger steering damper and Touratech spring kit. 6 of one half dozen of the other. And I will be camping out of my van.
... down by the river.

An ADV bike can be ridden through the sand, no doubt. More weight is always an issue and lack of speed. Control those and you can control sand.

Thankfully the sandy parts aren't long, maybe 100 yards at a time, so you have time on hard pack to recover. Sand on a 2 wheeler is tiresome so short spurts are good.

Enough about sand. There's so little there compared to the rest of the roads. Pavement is a good option too. Presidio, Marfa, Alpine... ADV up Pinto Canyon Rd.

Reservation at CMC made. Comin' out Wednesday afternoon.

Seriously looking at a hitch hauler for my DR instead of loading the bike in the bed of the truck. Will probably have a shell/camper/cap on the bed of the truck.

EDIT: Received a Titan 52 gallon fuel tank today, will install whenever I can. It doubles my fuel capacity and theoretically can drive from my house to Terlingua on a single tank. It's 500 miles each way, might have to stop once or twice. Also ordered a Black Widow 600lb hitch carrier. New rear tire is on the DR.

Last edited:
Reservation at CMC made. Comin' out Wednesday afternoon.

Seriously looking at a hitch hauler for my DR instead of loading the bike in the bed of the truck. Will probably have a shell/camper/cap on the bed of the truck.

EDIT: Received a Titan 52 gallon fuel tank today, will install whenever I can. It doubles my fuel capacity and theoretically can drive from my house to Terlingua on a single tank. It's 500 miles each way, might have to stop once or twice. Also ordered a Black Widow 600lb hitch carrier. New rear tire is on the DR.

You are READY!

Anyone know if the Top of the World track is still accessible? Id be interested in doing that track but read on one of these forums that the residents may have closed the access to it? Hopefully that was a false alarm haha.

Anyone know if the Top of the World track is still accessible? Id be interested in doing that track but read on one of these forums that the residents may have closed the access to it? Hopefully that was a false alarm haha.

NO PROBLEM WITH IT AT THANKSGIVING. IT WAS JUST A FALSE ALARM. ABOUT 11 OF US WENT THERE.

NO PROBLEM WITH IT AT THANKSGIVING. IT WAS JUST A FALSE ALARM. ABOUT 11 OF US WENT THERE.

I spent the day with my wife otherwise I probably would have gone. We'll see if it works out in February (not bringing the wife).

Planning to be there. Bringing truck camper and looking for a place to park it with small trailer. KTM 1090R and DRZ400. Interested in Pinto Canyon on KTM and Old Ore or RR on DRZ. Rode down there on 1090 three weeks ago and did RR for the first time with full camp pack and tires full of air. Dropped it in the sand. If there is a free, semi-level parking spot still available somewhere, please pm me.

Mextrek Amigos and Friends, come and camp with me!!!

I have small half acre property with free camping spot about a 2 - 3 minute moto ride from ride headquarters. I am going to set up camp when I arrive on Wednesday with a 10 by 20 circus tent, clear some sleeping spots under it, set up a camp fire ring, crank up my little quiet generator, and have some tunes playing. This will be my first time to camp there in 3 years of ownership. So exciting!!! I plan to come 2 days early and leave 2 days after the rally.

If you've eaten at the Chili Pepper Cafe you were close. For anyone who is self sufficient (aka I have no potty, real electricity, or running water) , you can bring a tent or travel trailer and set up. If no burn ban is in effect, then campfires are fine. This is about as close as you can get to ride HQ. And its free.

View attachment 248354

View attachment 248355

Planning to be there. Bringing truck camper and looking for a place to park it with small trailer. KTM 1090R and DRZ400. Interested in Pinto Canyon on KTM and Old Ore or RR on DRZ. Rode down there on 1090 three weeks ago and did RR for the first time with full camp pack and tires full of air. Dropped it in the sand. If there is a free, semi-level parking spot still available somewhere, please pm me.

Always welcome at my little dirt spot in Study Butte.

plan on doing registration tonight or tomorrow! In...riding DRZ400...will camp out of my truck....unless I can find some space...looking forward to meeting more of the group

Registered tonight. Booked my room a while ago. Can’t wait!
I’ll be riding over from the Houston area. I may need to bring some baby powder.

Registered tonight. Booked my room a while ago. Can’t wait!
I’ll be riding over from the Houston area. I may need to bring some baby powder.

My buddy Mitja is looking to share a ride from Houston. He also has suv with 3 rail trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back