• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2 stroke revival

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
It seems several years ago 2 strokes were about gone, now fast forward to today. Went for a ride in the SHNF, 4 of us all on 2 strokes ( even all are 2020). More impressive, all 4 were different manufacturers. Had a 300 Beta, 250 Husqvarna, 250 KTM, and. 125X Yamaha. Thinking that is pretty cool. BTW, forest trails were perfect today. Got in 37 miles.

It seems several years ago 2 strokes were about gone, now fast forward to today. Went for a ride in the SHNF, 4 of us all on 2 strokes ( even all are 2020). More impressive, all 4 were different manufacturers. Had a 300 Beta, 250 Husqvarna, 250 KTM, and. 125X Yamaha. Thinking that is pretty cool. BTW, forest trails were perfect today. Got in 37 miles.
My buddy chuck moore you know him from cycle land just got a 300 xc tpi man is that thing sweet .we were riding last weak swapped bikes i got off his just raving how awsum it was.he got off my 19 350 xcf same thing this bike is awsum .

I really liked that beta 300rr I rode....
New local dealer is about to get a beta 390f race edition that I'll be demoing aswell...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

February 2020 cover, all @ strokes

I have a friend with a KX500 with an Eric Gorr Big Bore kit in it. Power is insane

Last MX bike I activley raced was a 86CR500 still the only bike I could scare myself on at any given time I twisted the throttle

The Cr 500's stuffed into an AF were to die for. I'm no suspension expert and did not ride the CRs fast enough to worry about frame flex issues. I crashed the first AF I rode in 60 seconds...

I have a friend with a KX500 with an Eric Gorr Big Bore kit in it. Power is insane

Last MX bike I activley raced was a 86CR500 still the only bike I could scare myself on at any given time I twisted the throttle
I Had 86 cr 500 your right beast Rode it for a year went back to a 250 . lived to tell about it LOL .me and my buddys raced cross country on those things what were we thinking .

makes me happy and sad at the same time. reminds me of the sheer fun the '82 CR480R was, and sad the bod won't tolerate that anymore.
I only rode my KTM a few times, and gawd it's a torque monster, but it's not what I loved in the past.
think I'll go order a Klotz candle off Amazon. :lol2:

Really like the 300RR. With bikes like the XTrainer, Beta has done as much to promote 2-stroke in recent years as KTM.

Riding with my son on his KLX250S though, the logistics of 2 fuel types just wasn't worth it.

Really like the 300RR. With bikes like the XTrainer, Beta has done as much to promote 2-stroke in recent years as KTM.

Riding with my son on his KLX250S though, the logistics of 2 fuel types just wasn't worth it.
Buy any Beta or KTM TPI and you wont have to. Oil injection has also made a come back. Like the Jap enduros in the 70's with CCI

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Don't remember the year(90's) but at the SHNF one time I was riding alone on my CR500 and entered the trailhead parking area, 2 guys were hilariously bowing to me. They heard the motor and kew it was a mighty 500, any nut to ride the forest on one needed respect, lol. But I was just a nut!

Buy any Beta or KTM TPI and you wont have to. Oil injection has also made a come back. Like the Jap enduros in the 70's with CCI

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, mine was one model year before Beta introduced oil injection. :-(

Dunno why mfrs moved away from oil injection. To me, it's a no brainer.

I really enjoyed my 1981 CR450R, my last 2-stroke. 4 speed with kick started on the wrong side. Great power delivery, was not radical but would fly, easy to wheelie. For its time had a great suspension just point and shoot and it would leap over anything.

Brings back some great memories with this bike.

2008-honda-crf450x-20_600x0w.jpg

Unfortunately, mine was one model year before Beta introduced oil injection. :-(

Dunno why mfrs moved away from oil injection. To me, it's a no brainer.
Weight and risk of failure.

I demoed a 2020 300RR. And loved it... way more nimble than the tpi ktm

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Weight and risk of failure.
I suppose. Then again... every bike already has an oil pump for generating engine oil pressure. If that fails, the engine is toast. Designing for reliability isn't that difficult... even for KTM engineers during Oktoberfest. ;)

No oil pump on 2 strokes (unless it has injection).

I had one of these with fox air shocks on it when I was 13-16 years old. I remember my fingers being sore after riding all day. I only had one picture of it and don't know what happened to it.
4e65b7fbc51b4e3e0ab9925badbaecc9.jpg

Back