• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Wheel Weights

Tuco

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
The wheel weights on my bike are stamped "5". Would these be 5 grams? Or .5 oz? I don't see a decimal point on the weight.

Likely 0.5oz. Lead or tungsten 0.5oz weight is about the size of a Chiclet. 5gm would be close to the size of a tictac.

I wuz thinking .5 oz but hoping 5 gr. That means I have 12 oz of weights on rear tire. I don’t know what normal is but that seems high even for 50/50 tire. Oh well...

Anyways, thanks.

12 oz seems high . Can you take a pic of the weights and post it ?

I wuz thinking .5 oz but hoping 5 gr. That means I have 12 oz of weights on rear tire. I don’t know what normal is but that seems high even for 50/50 tire. Oh well...

Anyways, thanks.
Wait ..you have 24 of them on your rear rim?

5 gram

While we are at it. What are the best brand quality weights that remain stuck for non spoke wheels, I have had them come off in washing etc. Are there any lead ones?

I bought a big box of wheel weights I use for my cars and motorcycles from Napa. Was something like 35 dollars they're 1/4 oz sections come in strips. I may be dead before I use all of them haha. Or my kids will at least be in middle school.

The last time I had tire work performed at QZ Cycle in Phlugerville, John the owner/chief wrench said the beads were corroding and attacking the mag wheel from my Valkrie. After some time spent with a wire wheel on a grinder cleaned it somewhat, John advised to never put them little buggers in my wheels again. SNAKE OIL

I put on a new Shinko 705 on the rear of the GS last week. I has about 1 once of weights.

The previous 705, I rode with no weights and it was so out of balance it actually damaged the TPMS . Ended up with almost 4 oz to get it right.

13 years, 200k miles ridden on Dyna Beads for balancing tubeless tires, never an issue, never seen damage to my rims.
cheez maybe your rims are snake proof. Lol

Dyna Beads and RideOn balancers just plain work. Be a skeptic and don't use either is fine but no need to spread falsehoods to try and discourage others.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

cheez maybe your rims are snake proof. Lol

Dyna Beads and RideOn balancers just plain work. Be a skeptic and don't use either is fine but no need to spread falsehoods to try and discourage others.

I don't really "promote" them either, I just state my experiences and let others make their decisions.

TELL IT TO JOHN AT QZ CYCLE IN PLHUGERVILLE, PLEASE.

Your caps lock appears to be stuck on, brother. Everyone has different experiences with products. Share your experiences and inform us all, and we will do the same.

Reactions: JMZ
Send me a copy of his Physics degree and then I will. He wouldn't be the first mechanic in history speaking outside of his expertise.

To be fair, he said they were causing some kind of abrasion to the wheel. I'm not sure how that works, as centrifugal force ensures they are spread around the tire carcass evenly by weight while rolling, and collect at the bottom of the carcass while slowing.

Back