• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Article on helmet testing

Zonie

Reaction score
First Name
John
Last Name
Ebert
I was sent this from a riding buddy and thought I would share.
From what I read 43% of helmets tested fail the DOT testing. There is a link to the results but it is a bit difficult to navigate.

Interesting. I picked a helmet brand (Nolan) and looked through their results. Of the two helmets that failed, the reason was "labeling." When I pulled up and skimmed through the full report, the problem seemed to be that the label inside the helmet included insufficient information about construction materials. The helmets passed the really important things, like impact and penetration testing. That makes me wonder if the report in webbikeworld isn't a bit alarmist.

Here's another take on Helmet Safety from the guy at FortNine. I like his videos. Summary, DOT sets the minimum requirements. Yet, manufacturers are on their own to self-certify that their helmets meet DOT requirements. That doesn't sound exactly right, does it?

Last edited:
I've read there's been ongoing controversy about the Snell rating - some claim that that, basically, Snell-rated helmets can be too stiff, thus risking head injuries in a different fashion than DOT-rated helmets. All I can say is my helmet came up with a "pass" in the article Zonie posted. I'll keep wearing it until more definitive info is found.

Here is a summary of all the different standards...Lots of information out there and it gets confusing sometimes. I tried my best to understand this a couple years ago when buying a helmet for my wife.

I have a long oval head and most helmets don't fit me well so I am forced to only a few helmets. All but one of my helmets are Snell rated the one that is not is DOT and ECE, not by choice just happened that way. My general rule of thumb is buy a helmet that fits properly from a reputable manufacture.

...some claim that that, basically, Snell-rated helmets can be too stiff...

I read something like that too, which contributed to the purchase of the Bell Adventure MX-9 with MIPS technology.

In anecdotal crash testing performed by yours truly, I find the Shoei Hornet X2 to be dramatically superior to the HJC IS-16. I got my bell rung in the HJC and woke up in a ditch to 3 of my group standing over me wondering if I was dead. In the Shoei I remember the whole tumble, no concussion, like the one I likely received in the HJC.

Yes, the Shoei cost 3x as much as the HJC. I don't care. I bought another one. My head is worth it!

In anecdotal crash testing performed by yours truly, I find the Shoei Hornet X2 to be dramatically superior to the HJC IS-16. I got my bell rung in the HJC and woke up in a ditch to 3 of my group standing over me wondering if I was dead. In the Shoei I remember the whole tumble, no concussion, like the one I likely received in the HJC.

Yes, the Shoei cost 3x as much as the HJC. I don't care. I bought another one. My head is worth it!
I too am a HJC SyMax II crash test dummy, twice. No issues with either helmet and no concussion either time but I moved up to the Shoei Neotec II. No more hot spots and it fits properly.

My only crash test was on an older Shoei full-face. I now wear flip-face helmets. Plus, Shoeis don't fit me well. They're too long for my block head, and tend to try to "corkscrew" around my head in high wind - rather disconcerting. Nolans fit me perfectly, which is actually pretty danged important in terms of helmet safety.

manufacturers are on their own to self-certify that their helmets meet DOT requirements. That doesn't sound exactly right, does it?
It's worked out well for the EPA with Volkswagen, and the FAA with the Boeing 737 MAX. What could go wrong? :suicide:

I'm a big believer that people should not be forced to wear something they don't want to, but that they should be informed of the possible consequences of their decision.

Here is an image of the helmet impact areas from Otte's 1981 study. Note that for those riders choosing to wear a brain bucket / nazi helmet / open face / half helmet they are probably not going to survive or will need to have major facial reconstructive surgery since approx 65% of impacts are to the chin/face/forehead areas.

Helmet impact locations - Edited.png

Hmmmmm.

Back