• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2020 Around the Bend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't make this rally but interested in that BB guide however when I click on the link or even type the website directly it takes me to a Godaddy landing page.

Here are the basics. I downloaded into GPS Tracks. There are several more trails that go down to the river off River Road. Pich up an official map while out there. Very helpful.
Very helpful information, thanks! My link seems to have worked.

Does anyone have a gpx file available for "Top of the World" they could share?

Hi Bill, I'm new to this group but looking for a place to throw a small tent. Bringing down dirt bike in small truck, so won't take up much room.
Also was thinking about going down a day or two early to get lay of land, if you don't mind early company.

Larry Dykes
Flower Mound (N DFW)
2001 F650GS
2017 KTM500
1996 KLX300
Hey Larry. We will see you there. We are staying at the Chisos Mining Co in the motor lodge section.

Is anyone leaving from San Antonio Area on Thursday morning? I was going to trailer the bike all the way, but now my Co-driver can't make it so there's no need to take a car. I'd rather roll with at least one other rider.

I could also leave from Houston, as that is where I am starting. I can take another passenger or 2, if someone has a trailer, and can split gas, etc.

Last edited:
I’m looking for a fun route for my gf who is new to motorcycles. This will also be our first time in Big Bend.

I’m thinking one day spent in the park and another day maybe somewhere else but now that I think about it the 45 mph speed limit inside the park will be good for her.

So far I’ve heard Maverick Road and Old Ore road are newbie friendly.

People recommend I ride Old Maverick Road to Santa Elena canyon and then head to the restaurant (on a paved road?) and ride to Chisos Basin? I have no concept of how many miles that is.

Is there a GPS file with waypoints for all POIs? What roads are a no no for newbies?

Thanks!

A few posts up is a site with great maps. Park Service also has good ones, and everything is also on Google Maps.

I'm not sure Old Ore is total newbie friendly. Maverick certainly is. Your route (Study Butte -> Santa Elena -> Chisos Basin -> Study Butte) could easily be done before lunch. To Santa Elena is about an hour, I'd guess. Then probably another hour via Ross Maxwell up to the basin. Plus stops and photo time.

From there, go down to the hot springs - far southeast side of the park. Take a dip and enjoy.

There's a nice little hike at Santa Elena - just long enough to make it really uncomfortable in moto boots. Very worth doing at some point. Similar at the other side: Boquillas Canyon.

River Road is ususally the 2nd dirt road folks take - after Maverick. Its long (50-ish miles, I think) and can have deep sandy sections. Old Ore is nearly no sand, but can have big, loose rocks and some steep ups and downs - darn fun! Black Gap is the hardest (really only about 1/2 mile section of it). Glen Springs is easy, fast, and fun.

For day 2, I'd recommend heading to Presidio on 170. Then up to Marfa on any one of 67, Casa Piedra (mostly dirt & sand) or Pinto Canyon. I'm doing this loop on Saturday, but starting from the top.

Thursday 11 AM...Basic Intro Ride / Mextrek Amigos

For Big Bend first time riders, and folks considering a Mextrek adventure who want to meet the "gang", our little Amigos group usually do a very moderately paced up and back on South County / North County Road through the private Terlingua Ranch to visit my property. And I want to check out Vogl's 10 acres for sale at Top of the World as well, so we'll see a bunch of the nicer parts of the ranch west of 118. Total distance under 60 miles. Pace, group determined.

Probably a late morning departure from Posado Milagro after a long fun breakfast, 11 am or so, back at the welcome dinner at 3 or 4pm with plenty of time to enjoy hanging out for the afternoon and evening.

Important note: Terlingua Ranch is private property. Most residents are understanding, others have shotguns, many have pens and like to write letters.

DO NOT LEAVE THE IMPROVED ROADWAY

DO NOT MAKE EXCESSIVE NOISE

SLOW WAY DOWN FOR ANY STRUCTURES OR CIVILIZATION

YIELD RIGHT OF WAY TO CAR AND TRUCK TRAFFIC
Russell and I are leaving Glen Rose at 0800 tomorrow. Planning to spend one night on the road but should be there in time for this ride. Please stop by Coyote Crossing and gather us up Wed am if we haven't found you first. Look for white chevy with truck camper and white enclosed trailer. Thanks. I'm pretty stoked.

Can't make this rally but interested in that BB guide however when I click on the link or even type the website directly it takes me to a Godaddy landing page.
I'm having technical difficulties with the website. I sent you a PM with instructions on how to purchase the guide.

Zero hour for me is 4 am in the morning, locked loaded and ready to roll, look for the wee GS on the back of a white Nissan Frontier.

Russell and I are leaving Glen Rose at 0800 tomorrow. Planning to spend one night on the road but should be there in time for this ride. Please stop by Coyote Crossing and gather us up Wed am if we haven't found you first. Look for white chevy with truck camper and white enclosed trailer. Thanks. I'm pretty stoked.

Oh. Thursday, 1100. We'll definitely be around then.

Everyone bikes are so clean at the start of the event. We need before and after photos on Sunday to see the changes.

That Pinto Canyon, Casa Piedra loop looks fun - so I'm going to plan to do it Saturday. Trick is, I'll be starting up north in Alpine. My plan is to be in Marfa around 10:30 am or so. From there, I'll probably go down Pinto, then to Presidio for late lunch, then Casa Piedra to Paisano for a beverage. If that coincides with anyone doing the loop from the south, I'll tag along.

Is anyone else going to be staying up North: Alpine, Marfa, Ft Davis or Marathon?

On Sunday, I'll start early and will be going back to Austin the fun way for anyone not in a hurry to get home: Bracketville, Camp Wood, Vanderpool, ...
Well, Jeff, this sounds good. There's a few planning trips to Pinto Canyon at least. It'd be nice to join you for lunch at minimum. I'll have to figure out where I'm gonna go on Thu/Fri/Sat, with whom and when.

Something to consider. Might help prevent a flat repair in the field.
0b718d2910708c9361eb663caf39766d.jpg

Last edited:
What’s everybody using to carry water? 3 liter bottle might be my best option at this point.

Help! Should I bring my KTM 790 or KTM 500? The 790 is pretty off-road capable, and I am an experienced Dual Sporter and Off-Roader.

Help! Should I bring my KTM 790 or KTM 500? The 790 is pretty off-road capable, and I am an experienced Dual Sporter and Off-Roader.

I prefer my lighter and more dirt friendly bike in BB, but also typically plan on as much off road as possible when there.

I've been to BB on both my 500 and my 690 separately. I much prefer the 500 for that time riding so that's what I'm bringing this weekend.

Does anyone have a recommendation on where I can find a place to fill my fresh water tank on the travel trailer?

debating on bringing my light, modded XT... it's just so much fun...haven't been to big bend so don't know whether it would be worth bringing or just staying with the DRZ only...
plenty of dirt experience, just never been to big bend.

any advice from those who have?

debating on bringing my light, modded XT... it's just so much fun...haven't been to big bend so don't know whether it would be worth bringing or just staying with the DRZ only...
plenty of dirt experience, just never been to big bend.

any advice from those who have?
I've been to BBNP three times on my XT and loved it. It's the perfect bike for me in the national park. If you plan to do any highway riding, those long rolling hills will be disappointingly slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back