• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 390 Adventure

Hmmmm.....I don't think we actually know a cost for the spoked wheels. Would be cool if they issued a credit and you could "trade" the unused cast ones for spokes before picking up your bike.

Why are people selling the 790 wheels?

I haven't actually figured that out yet.

As far as I can tell, some like to buy a bike then immediately replace every part on the bike with new parts.

I don't get it, but to each their own.
😂😂😂😂

You know that's true! I made a couple of small upgrades to my Scrambler that made it ride alot better. Tires and the Fox shocks. Right around 1k total. I've tried to make it my "gravel" bike, but two things limit it a bit...not much ground clearance (occasionally I've found a rock or two or ventured into a low spot where I bottomed out. Too expensive a bike to risk damaging that way. Those beautiful exhaust pipes running down the side limit the standing position. Pushes your leg/foot to very outside of peg. Can't grip tank/seat with right leg. Anyway, I need something a little more suited to the rides I wanna pursue. Good for up to 2 hrs of highway to get to SHNF or Beeville area. Competent or dirt/gravel/sand and not too hard to pick up if dropped or buried ala William Wolfen. Must be budget friendly, bought 3 bikes last year and didn't quite get it right. This bike seems to be fairly close to what I'm looking for. A KLR or Transalp, Husky Terra 650 or similar would fit the bill.

I get that. The 390 looks to have similar suspension as I had on my CRF250L Rally which felt like riding a marshmellow off road, even after adding heavier springs to the stock stuff. Like the reviewer in that latest review said, it didn't inspire confidence. It was fine up to a certain speed on rough terrain, but at say 45 mph it started feeling a bit sketchy.

The 790R is kind of the other way around. It really starts to shine the more you push it, engine, suspension, the whole package. Gives you something to grow into. It kind of urges you to go faster where my CRF250L Rally suggested that you slow down. I kind of get the feeling the 390 Adventure will be the same in stock form.

14,696.44 OTD. Guessing the same dealer will have the 390 Adventure at ~6,100 OTD or so.

Spoked wheels will be $2k? Upgraded suspension $2k? Crashbars $400? That would put the 390 Adventure around $10,500 minus labor for installs. Then you can try and sell the pull offs to recoup, I suppose. What KTM should do is an R model for the bike and save buyers the hassle.

In my mind, I see the 790R providing more use cases and that's what you pay extra for. I'd have no qualms about jumping on the 790R and riding it down to the Hill Country or Arkansas for a weekend of dirt and paved fun. I wouldn't do that on the 390 Adventure. And in the dirt, I can't really envision a place that the 790R couldn't go that the 390 could. Also, the 790R in Offroad mode gives one experience in the dirt, then kick it into Street mode and it is pretty powerful and fun in a set of paved twisties. Way more than I was expecting. Then there is the Rally mode, I'm not sure if that is an option on the 390 or not. And the ability to add a Rekluse clutch.

The 790R is really pricey and a lot to spend on a "dirt" bike, but KTM knew they had something with that model and knew folks would pay for it.

I have to admit, I like their model of identical platforms and escalating displacement. Someone rides a 390 Duke/Adventure for a while and then starts to lust after the 790 Duke/Adventure. Pretty smart.
Wheels shouldn't be 2 and probably get suspension under that number too unless you really want something special.I would think you could do both for close to 2000.

So far I like the 390 Adventure. Problem is I like my DR650. I'm 6'4" with a 35" inseam. The DR feels a little small but I've had it for 7 years. I don't want to downsize and get a physically smaller bike.

DR650 wheelbase 58.7" seat height 34.8 weight (dry) 324 lbs - granted I have an aftermarket taller seat that's about an inch taller than stock
390 ADV wheelbase 53.4 seat height 33.7 weight (dry) 326 lbs

It's so close. I know pretty much the smaller the engine the smaller overall the bike is.

As I move from wanting to ride off road stuff like Old Ore Rd in Big Bend to mostly pavement and county dirt or fire roads in the future the off road requirement becomes less. I am hoping to get a motorcycle to put in the toy hauler and take camping to put around in, adventure in the areas we're staying. I can do that with the Suzuki just as easily as the 390 ADV with no more expense out of my pocket by purchasing a bike that's selling price is about twice what my Suzuki is worth used.

The Honda 500X is also intriguing but again, small bike (56.9/32.7/430lbs wet). I don't want a BMW F800 GS (or whatever they are: 700, 750, 850, 900) but I do like the '15 and newer Tiger 800 XC because the size fits me better. Even a 650 V Strom maybe. Gadzooks, I'm a mess. The dilemma of compromise! This 390 looks sweet!! Darn my long legged curse!!! The KTM would feel like a supermoto on pavement.

I used to think the 790 Adv (59.4/33.4/460lbs wet) was what I wanted a couple of months ago. If I ever want to do a NMBDR maybe it should be but the Tiger 800 is very close to the same (60.8/33.1/487lbs wet). Both have cruise control and with the added weight make them sweet cruising on pavement.

Now if a 490 Adv that's slightly larger than the 390 comes out...

I don't know what I want but I can only have one.

If it’s any thing like the 790, all the optional equipment will be back ordered!

lol, no. In my limited 1,001 mile experience with them, they are all the are cracked up to be, especially on the dirt.

390 Adventure would be loads more fun, I suspect.
And half the weight! Well, not half but significantly less.

Man, it seems folks are pretty stoked for the arrival of this bike. Maybe KTM has hit a home run? I wonder how initial U.S. stock will be? Need a comparison of this with the CB500x. 2019 and up has 19" front wheel and more ground clearance. Rally Raid products are available for those who want to be a bit more rugged. It's heavier than the 390 and is a 471cc twin as oppose to a thumper, but I bet performance is similar in some aspects.

My 390 Duke had much better performance than my CB 500x, although the 500 was a better highway bike, but the 500 x ran out of power at about 8,000 feet. It still made a 2500 mile trip out west loaded down a lot of fun.

Are people stoked though? It seems like in the US if it is under 650cc, it's not worth consideration to the major of US consumers. I like listening to the Indian reviews where they talk about the 390 being this big, powerful machine :)

I think the CB500X is a cool, underrated bike. I considered buying one at one point. Went and test rode it and thought it was a bit of a sleeper. It felt similarly powerful as my DCT NC700X with a 671cc engine likely because the hp to weight ratio is pretty close on them. But that 17 inch wheel feels weird on a gravel road, granted my daughter's NC700X felt a lot better in the dirt with a 17" TKC80 on the front, but still bigger is better there. Also, the suspension felt like it was for the road only. Maybe the newer ones got better suspension with the bigger front wheel?
The 2019 CB500x comes with 19" front wheel and additional ground clearance.

Sat on the Strom today. Decided I should start it up since I hadn't touched it in a few months. Sucker fired right up and ran smoothly. Wish it wasn't so massive! After sitting on it and adjusting the mirrors, I didn't want to ride it. Scrambler had spoiled me. I know people ride heavier bikes all the time, Super Tenere and GS 1200 come to mind. It wasn't that bad if I'm honest. I just remember trying to pick it up in sand. I think I'm traumatized!😵

Reactions: my6
Sat on the Strom today. Decided I should start it up since I hadn't touched it in a few months. Sucker fired right up and ran smoothly. Wish it wasn't so massive! After sitting on it and adjusting the mirrors, I didn't want to ride it. Scrambler had spoiled me. I know people ride heavier bikes all the time, Super Tenere and GS 1200 come to mind. It wasn't that bad if I'm honest. I just remember trying to pick it up in sand. I think I'm traumatized![emoji43]
Bigger is generally better on pavement and especially on highways but the opposite off road. There's the compromise. The pendulum, where does it swing for you?

I s'pose you also have to consider balance. Top heavy is fine at speeds on the highway but not off road. It's all weight in the end. Do you prefer more or less? Power to weight ratio?

Bigger is generally better on pavement and especially on highways but the opposite off road. There's the compromise. The pendulum, where does it swing for you?

I s'pose you also have to consider balance. Top heavy is fine at speeds on the highway but not off road. It's all weight in the end. Do you prefer more or less? Power to weight ratio?
Yeah....been down this road and experimenting. Don't like the top heaviness of the Strom off road. Definitely a good riding bike on the highway. I prefer the Triumph Scrambler when riding with the fellas, but it's not exactly equipped for more than a flat dirt road. It's not light, but it's very low centered and inspires confidence. Also has an off-road mode that the Strom doesn't have. However, I was the only one about to run out of gas on the last trip as well. The right bike will come along eventually. This 390 might be a good compromise. I'm not a speed demon so I think the power will be more than adequate. It's mainly gonna come down to seating and standing position and overall comfort. I have no doubt that the bike will exceed my riding capabilities. If it inspires as much confidence as the Scrambler does, I'll be just fine with less power.

Are people stoked though? It seems like in the US if it is under 650cc, it's not worth consideration to the major of US consumers. I like listening to the Indian reviews where they talk about the 390 being this big, powerful machine :)

I think the CB500X is a cool, underrated bike. I considered buying one at one point. Went and test rode it and thought it was a bit of a sleeper. It felt similarly powerful as my DCT NC700X with a 671cc engine likely because the hp to weight ratio is pretty close on them. But that 17 inch wheel feels weird on a gravel road, granted my daughter's NC700X felt a lot better in the dirt with a 17" TKC80 on the front, but still bigger is better there. Also, the suspension felt like it was for the road only. Maybe the newer ones got better suspension with the bigger front wheel?
As far as stoked goes, to me the problem in America for small bikes, is how big the country is, and how far you have to go around here to get somewhere to actually enjoy the small bike. Droning down Hwy 59 going to Arkansas on the 390 would probably be miserable. When you get there , it would be good!

Back