• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What's your worst accident on a bike?

Reaction score
Sunday, yesterday, I was riding to go hang out with a friend. I realized the streets were slick, but I did not realize how slick until it was too late.

While going over the speed limit ( I admit that was all my fault), a driver in a car pulls into my lane and because of how I reacted (I think I grabbed the front brake too hard), the bike and I went down at about 75 MPH. I have a broken collar bone that will require some surgery to put a plate in. The worst part to me is actually the fractured ribs. There's 3-4 ribs messed up so everything hurts. The bike is mostly fine with just some road rash on the hard case and the engine guards did their job well. I'm very happy with the work from T-Rex Racing. They are the people who made it.

Here is the video from my gopro.

https://youtu.be/PHd9PQ8A13g

You’re one lucky dude. Could have been much worse, as you certainly know. Glad to see someone stopped to help. Speedy recovery!

Did the driver stop?

Glad you were geared up and no one else ran over you!

I might add that it appears you were in the cars blind spot. However the driver should have had awareness that you were approaching on the left, if they had been checking their mirrors prior.

Sucks for sure as I've done the broken rib gig. I note that the driver actually did use his turn signal. As an FYI I would have been in the right side of the lane to make sure I saw the persons face in their rearview - - - then again, hindsight is 20/20. Heal well.

Oh man, so glad your going to be ok! Those broke ribs are going to suck for a while!

my worst wreck was in 2012. We were in the process of moving and without thinking my wife had packed my riding gear and took it to the new house. My motorcycle was the last thing to go and I rode it just the couple miles to the new house. My buddy and my son were in my truck behind me and had pulled over to adjust the load on the trailer. So I turned around to help. As I started to turn in a car in the wrong lane hit me from behind. Luckily the impact sent me upward about 10’ in the air. My 11 year old son at the time saw the whole thing. I was wearing shorts and running shoes at the time of the wreck. I know very stupid on my part. I ended up with a blown out, busted open, fractured heel, fractured L3 and L4 vertebrae and very minor scrapes and bruises. I have completely recovered since then and I still love to ride. And overall the crash made me a better rider.
my xr650l was totaled even tho it fared pretty well I thought.
The guy that hit me said he never saw me and admitted to texting at the time.

Attachments

• FDDB0346-BF10-4874-8254-AA62408FF47E.jpeg
    FDDB0346-BF10-4874-8254-AA62408FF47E.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 187
  • E64672FA-1FAF-447B-BC80-84E25B18D76F.jpeg
    E64672FA-1FAF-447B-BC80-84E25B18D76F.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 203
Sorry to hear of your injury and glad it wasn't worse. You might have to use your insurance even though that car cut you off because you didn't actually touch each other.

I took a curve too fast on a 1980 Honda 750 with its 80 mph speedo locked against its stop. I ran wide, hit the grass, went down and commenced sliding along side the road. I came so close to making the curve that by the time I was sliding I was on the straight part of the road. I ended up with a pretty good road rash on my elbow, but no broken bones. I was pretty lucky.

I can't believe more people didn't stop. Good you slid off the road. Their fault but you were riding in the blind spot. I have done it we all have ridden there. So glad you made it and will heal to ride another day.
Just curious what tires were you running? If you don't mind sharing.

6 years ago was cut off on i 10 went down going 75 i got up and walked away bruised and sore.
Attgat

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 217
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 211
1975. Classic left turning car. T-boned it and few across the car into the street beyond. Luckily I missed the phone booth and just slid across the hood. 2 weeks traction in the hospital with a neck/back injury. OK today.
Good news part. I crashed on a Kawi 750 triple (I was only going 35 mph if you believe it) and the insurance $$ bought me a new Z-1!!!

SS

I love my T-rex crash bars and hope I won't have to use them. I keep rewinding your video just prior to where the bike falls over and it's so strange to watch it kind of tip over slowly while going down the highway at speed.

Worked a crash a couple days ago where a rider locked up his 636 panic stopping for a yellow light and it did something similar. He only had a cheap lid and very cheap gloves that busted open so he suffered some rash.

Man I know I’m going to sound like Captain Hindsight here but I’m going to say it anyways because others might learn.
I will preface it with the fact that I have to take I45 through Houston to get anywhere so I got a lot of experience with idiot drivers.
I’ve had cars do that to me dozens of times. They seemed like close call at first but now it’s just normal and doesn’t even kick my adrenaline in.
1.) The out is to slide to the left. Your much more agile than that car and can switch lanes faster. As you pass, you’ve got to understand the status of your “escape” route to make sure the left lane/shoulder is open.
2.) When you make a decision to pass, make the decision early and go fast. Limit the time in their target area.

My worst wreck was on the track in 2008 that actually slowed me down a lot. I started to highside, almost saved it. slammed my left side down on the curb on the left side, vividly remember the bike spinning in the air above me, then hitting my right side really hard. Couldn't stand up, couldn't catch my breath. Turns out I cracked 8 ribs (they were impressed because they said that hurts really bad and I didn't cry, LOL). Also tore a ligament on the right thumb. They thought my leg was broken. I tried the crutches they gave me and almost passed out from the pain, so I walked out because the leg hurt less.

Next to worst was in 1999, sat up to zip my jacket, bike got into a tank slapper at about 50 mph. I grabbed at the bars, came up with the clutch lever that I snapped off, and went down hard on my left shoulder. Jacket slid up on left arm, had serious road rash on the the left arm from forearm to mid tricep, plus I couldn't move my shoulder (dislocated a little they said...) and I had rash on all my corners. Stiches in my elbow. My then 11 yr old daughter said, "Oooh Daddy, I can see the bone!" Not a great day, but I got through it.

2010, I hit a deer on my way to work in Huntsville on FM 1374. I was going 65+ and it ran down from a bank to straight in front of me. There was only time for a mental O****, not a brake check. The next thing I knew was a question for a paramedic.
I broke some ribs and my shoulder blade. It still hurts little bit!

on the way to meet up with group for a ride down to pie run, light goes green and I start to go and out of no where 83 year old guy in F250 pick up blows right through red light like it isn't there and nails me.
I was on my SV1000N and all I see is a flash of pick up then next thing I know I am across the intersection laying on my side, I do quick run down of appendages, everything is accounted for and pointing in the right direction so I roll upright and get up and look back to see my bike back where I started about 30 feet away on its side. I look over and the guy who hit me is looking at damage to his truck before getting back in it and leaving. one of the witnesses gives chase.
at this point I feel odd but don't feel any pain. I was close enough to the meeting point that it had gotten attention of the guys I was supposed to be riding with and we get the bike up right and it is clear it isn't rid able and my pie run is over and beside I probably should be hurt so I should sit down and wait for the ambulance.
by the time it gets there I am starting to feel again and it is not fun, the ride to the hospital in a ambulance with no suspension is not fun when the adrenaline has worn off and broken bones are rattling around.

10 hours I spent in that so called emergency room with what turned out to be five broken ribs in a row (point of impact), nothing for pain, nothing to drink, nothing to eat.
I had broken the top five ribs on my right side including the ones under the shoulder, the doctor could not figure out how the ribs were broken but the shoulder was not.

after recovery of the bike home discovered a pretty solid impact damage to right temple of helmet, no clue how long I was out, I don't remember how I made it across intersection but it had to be through the air. also discovered the armor in the shoulder of my jacket, had completely split the hard outer part.

January 6, 2016 I was riding Hwy 6 outside of Bryan on my way to the IMS in Dallas when 2 pitbulls ran out in front of me at full speed. I was at about 75mph. I tried to swerve around them thought I would make it. Wrong call. I hit the first one with the front , the second went under the rear wheel. The impact broke my hands loose and caused the rear to (according to my friend following me) come off the ground about 3 feet. I rolled off the bike and went sliding down the hwy. I suffered a broken wrist , some damage to my fingers and some bruising. I was geared up so had no road rash! The bike settled down on the wheels, rolled down the road without me untill it ran out of momentum and parked itself on the crashbars with minimal damage! I still ride it today.

2008, hit ferrel hogs going well over the speed limit.

Broken tib/fib, shattered foot and broken wrist.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sunday, yesterday, I was riding to go hang out with a friend. I realized the streets were slick, but I did not realize how slick until it was too late.

While going over the speed limit ( I admit that was all my fault), a driver in a car pulls into my lane and because of how I reacted (I think I grabbed the front brake too hard), the bike and I went down at about 75 MPH. I have a broken collar bone that will require some surgery to put a plate in. The worst part to me is actually the fractured ribs. There's 3-4 ribs messed up so everything hurts. The bike is mostly fine with just some road rash on the hard case and the engine guards did their job well. I'm very happy with the work from T-Rex Racing. They are the people who made it.

Here is the video from my gopro.

https://youtu.be/PHd9PQ8A13g
Jared, I'm really sorry to hear/see that. I hope you recover well and fast.

If you feel like it, you could share your video with McRider or one of those YouTube channels so that it could be used to help others in the future.

After watching the video, I want to know why they moved over? Seemingly no reason besides to get in your way. Unless there is something I missed. I'd report the plate to txdot

I've gone down in dirt a bunch of times with bruising mostly. My most painful crash was this one:

It was on my girlfriend's birthday of all days. She hates me riding motorcycles to begin with. On her birthday, she wanted to sleep in, then go to lunch and a movie. So I snuck out for an early ride. It had been raining for a couple of weeks and there was a temp break in the rain, so I thought I could at least get out for a couple of hours in the early morning.

I was coming around a blind corner and forgot there was a wooden bridge around the bend. I came in hot and got on the bridge at an angle and it caused my back wheel to slip off the runner. It felt like my bike just disappeared underneath me as the bike got hooked on the wooden runner and kept going in the direction of the bridge, while my body continued going in the direction I started from.

If you look at the right runner, you can see a scrape mark pointing towards the bushes. That's where I went. I remember my chest hitting the bridge, then becoming Superman for a second or two as I flew through the air. Then just a rolling mass of green.

I messed up a few things. At the time, my left knee was jacked up. I couldn't bend it. I went to pick up the bike and it screamed at me. I was in the middle of the boonies so I mentally prepped myself to fight through the pain and get the bike up. Just as I started to do it, a truck came around the blind corner. Thankfully, he stopped and helped me get the bike up. I dragged my left leg onto the bike and rode home.

My girlfriend was SO happy about the news... I was being dumb and didn't go to the ER. I downplayed it, took a fistful of Advil and took her to lunch and a movie. The whole time the pain was getting worse. Over the next few days some bruises came up on me like I had never seen before. Then my shoulders really started to hurt. It took my left shoulder about a year and half to stop hurting. Something was popping and moving around in there for a while, but it eventually stopped on it's own. Today, it only hurts a little with specific range of motion movements. In retrospect, I should have gone to the ER. Just didn't want to mess up the GF's bday anymore than I had. I still tense up a little going over wooden bridges to this day.

After watching the video, I want to know why they moved over? Seemingly no reason besides to get in your way. Unless there is something I missed. I'd report the plate to txdot

Looked like they were coming up on another car in their lane and decided to move over, without the shoulder check.

Looked like they were coming up on another car in their lane and decided to move over, without the shoulder check.
Yep you are right.

Regardless I'd still file a report

The plate won't be crucial for law enforcement if a crash report was requested as it'll be considered a non contact vehicle and cause for the crash would be "faulty evasive action."

The insurance company on the other hand may attempt to assign blame to the Corolla driver and help that way.

The plate won't be crucial for law enforcement if a crash report was requested as it'll be considered a non contact vehicle and cause for the crash would be "faulty evasive action."

The insurance company on the other hand may attempt to assign blame to the Corolla driver and help that way.
Well that in my opinion is very stupid on the fault of the state

Back