• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I'm Going to Big Bend soon

Reaction score
First Name
lane
Last Name
crampton
I'm planning on riding out to Big Bend in 2-3 weeks and stay for 4-6 days. I have a place to tent camp free just outside the entrance in town. I'll be on my AT and am going to stop about half way coming and going and camp. Just seeing if anyone would be interested in coming along, always more fun with someone. Just looking for an easy relaxed week of off road riding and getting away from all this crap going on..

Last edited:
FYI for others interested: all hotels, motels, VRBO/AirBNB and other lodgings out west are closed. That includes Brewster County (Alpine, Terlingua and the Nat Park), Presidio County (Marfa & Presidio) and Jeff Davis (Ft Davis and Davis mountain area).

Don't plan on heading west unless you've got solid plans for accommodations. No one knows how long that'll be in place.

The parks themselves - Nat and State - are both still open for access and camping, but no visitor centers are open. I'm unsure if that included fuel in Panther Junction and Rio Grande Village..

FYI for others interested: all hotels, motels, VRBO/AirBNB and other lodgings out west are closed. That includes Brewster County (Alpine, Terlingua and the Nat Park), Presidio County (Marfa & Presidio) and Jeff Davis (Ft Davis and Davis mountain area).

Don't plan on heading west unless you've got solid plans for accommodations. No one knows how long that'll be in place.

The parks themselves - Nat and State - are both still open for access and camping, but no visitor centers are open. I'm unsure if that included fuel in Panther Junction and Rio Grande Village..
Thanks for posting. That's exactly what I was wondering.

Resources out there are scarce during good times. Right now, I wonder if visiting there is even feasible.

They announced today that camping in the park is closed, but the park is still open.

All motels, campgrounds, etc. are closed out here. Restaurants are take out only. Medical facilities are very limited out here. So this is really not a good time to come visit. You may want to check with the Brewster County Chamber of Commerce before you come out.

I'm planning on riding out to Big Bend in 2-3 weeks and stay for 4-6 days. I have a place to tent camp free just outside the entrance in town. I'll be on my AT and am going to stop about half way coming and going and camp. Just seeing if anyone would be interested in coming along, always more fun with someone. Just looking for an easy relaxed week of off road riding and getting away from all this crap going on..
How did the AT do at the Round the Bend last month?

Great, long ride from Spring and wish I'd had off road tires instead of what Honda put on but I love it

yes old ore rd, west river road and I can't remember the name of the other that goes to the canyon. Them the 25 mile street run don't remember what they called it and a lot of street riding going to see all the sites.

yes old ore rd, west river road and I can't remember the name of the other that goes to the canyon. Them the 25 mile street run don't remember what they called it and a lot of street riding going to see all the sites.
Nice, you must be a pretty good rider to do that on a big bike with street tires! :clap:

Nice, you must be a pretty good rider to do that on a big bike with street tires! :clap:

Nope no better then anyone else these were just very slow careful trips off road and besides those are not really tuff roads. 4 days riding and only drop once and it was my fault nothing to do with the bike. Can't wait to go back with some real tires.

If I wasn't learning to shoot automatic weapons to guard my TP and longhorn burger stash, I'd head somewhere. Sounds like BB ain't real happy to see tourists now, and I can't blame them. The national forest along 191 in AZ would love a vehicle though. You just don't know what kind of law enforcement issues may be presented due to the random and varied lockdowns in effect.

Yes, we are shut down here in Big Bend. It's not that we don't like visitors and I've certainly hosted quite a few at our place but it's our location and limited medical resources. We have a 25 bed hospital in Alpine. I believe it has 2 ICU beds. Otherwise we have to go to Midland/Odessa and they are having issues themselves. So this is not a good time to come out here. And there is no place to stay anyway.

Thinking of doing a small 3 nigh camping trip around here. Night #1 from Spring to Five Fingers Cemetery on San Rayburn, #2 Neches Bluff Overlook in Grapeland, #3 Alabama Creek in Apple Springs then back home. Any one interested all free camp sites.

Thinking of doing a small 3 nigh camping trip around here. Night #1 from Spring to Five Fingers Cemetery on San Rayburn, #2 Neches Bluff Overlook in Grapeland, #3 Alabama Creek in Apple Springs then back home. Any one interested all free camp sites.

I would be interested in that, mabie the first weekend of may?

Back