• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Planning 8/2020 CDT ride

Reaction score
First Name
lane
Last Name
crampton
Good morning to all of us in quarantine. I’m in the process of planning my great escape from all this and wanted to touch base out here and see if there were anyone else interested in making the great ESCAPE.

Current escape plan: Around the end of Aug. this must be over by then, Location ride the CDT, planning about 3 weeks up, not looking to set any speed records just a nice relaxed fun ride, camping pretty much the whole way. Once completed not sure about coming home at this time. May ride freeway home, ship bike back, rent van and drive or possibly just turn around and ride north to south trail back home, I’ll be on my Africa Twin, plan on stopping in El Paso to swap street tires 90/10 with something and little more off road 50/50. I have multiple GPX routes

If you might be interested contact me and let’s talk and see what happens.

My wife, daughter, brother and I will be riding the CDR from Canada to Mexico in early August, we will drive all the bikes, gear and riders in a u-haul truck (1 way from Dallas to the Canadian border) drop of the truck and then ride down to the mexico border and then ride back to Dallas. We did this same ride a few years ago and loved it, we tried last year (going in the opposite direction, Mexico to Canada) but my daughter took a tumble in a Colorado and broke her arm, ending the holiday.. we should have finished before you start, so I can let you know of any issues that we run into.. assuming the corona virus won’t have shut down all state line crossings..

Sounds like a great plan, I've thought about doing North to South

My wife, daughter, brother and I will be riding the CDR from Canada to Mexico in early August, we will drive all the bikes, gear and riders in a u-haul truck (1 way from Dallas to the Canadian border) drop of the truck and then ride down to the mexico border and then ride back to Dallas. We did this same ride a few years ago and loved it, we tried last year (going in the opposite direction, Mexico to Canada) but my daughter took a tumble in a Colorado and broke her arm, ending the holiday.. we should have finished before you start, so I can let you know of any issues that we run into.. assuming the corona virus won’t have shut down all state line crossings..

Hey Gary,
How long are you giving yourselves to get from Canadian border to Mexico? Just curious...

We took 10 days of riding to do the trip last time, and we usually allow an additional 3 or 4 days to rest or sight see, so we plan on 14 days from starting at the Canadian border to arriving at home in Dallas. Takes 3 additional days to drive from Dallas to the Canadian border, return the u-haul and get everything ready for the ride.. we ride about 200 miles a day, we usually try to be riding by 8:00am (to avoid the afternoon heat) and stop around 3:00pm, with some rest breaks scattered in!!

We took 10 days of riding to do the trip last time, and we usually allow an additional 3 or 4 days to rest or sight see, so we plan on 14 days from starting at the Canadian border to arriving at home in Dallas. Takes 3 additional days to drive from Dallas to the Canadian border, return the u-haul and get everything ready for the ride.. we ride about 200 miles a day, we usually try to be riding by 8:00am (to avoid the afternoon heat) and stop around 3:00pm, with some rest breaks scattered in!!

Thanks. Sounds like a great plan born of experience.

Back