• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My first LD...

Holy Cow, Brian, retirement has allowed you more posting time. Good job. Anyway, I thought I’d throw in my 2 cents about personal contact info. I use Dynotags, I buy them on Amazon. They have QRcodes that when read take the viewer to a personal info page. If I remember correctly, you can have up to 5 pages of data. The first thing that comes up is my photo, first responders can make sure it’s me, even it we’re separated. I have I every medical condition, surgery, medicine, doctor, and contact loaded on my page. Because of this ****(so far) incurable cancer, I’ve also loaded a copy of my DNR. I also include my wife’s photo, and the fact she is non-verbal due to Alzheimer’s. Though she is unable to ride with me anymore, I thought, what about a car accident and I was unconscious. She wears a charm bracelet. I wear a water proof card on my moto jacket, a card in my wallet and dog tags.

I didn’t show the QRcode side because you can actually use the QRcode app on your phone and click a photo and my information pops up. I have no involvement with Dynotag. They run from about $15 to $ 25. One time cost, no monthly fees and no batteries. What I really like is that I can go on line to my page and edit my info as often as needed. New meds, change of meds, allergies, anything you want instantly available to responders in real time.

Ok I know, this is a dollar’s worth, lol.

My concern with this type medical info tag is if first responders will know how to access the info.

. Anyway, I thought I’d throw in my 2 cents about personal contact info. I use Dynotags, I buy them on Amazon. They have QRcodes that when read take the viewer to a personal info page. If I remember correctly, you can have up to 5 pages of data. charm bracelet. View attachment 253747
Im about $15 to $ 25. One time cost, no monthly fees and no batteries. What I really like is that I can go on line to my page and edit my info as often as needed. New meds, change of meds, allergies, anything you want instantly available to responders in real time.

Ok I know, this is a dollar’s worth, lol.

My concern with this type medical info tag is if first responders will know how to access the info.
It looks to be pretty self-explanatory. Now, if you're in the middle of nowhere, with no internet service it's not going to do you any good, but if you had nothing on your person about your history you'd be in the same position. But once they got you to a medical facility they are sure to have access at that point.

tag - Edited.png

I understand. I still carry paper info on me for just this reason. It has basics but no way can I put all my info on it.

It's been awhile, but I think it still stands true. The first responder is concerned that you air way is open, your breathing, and you got a pulse. From there it's stop bleeding, imobilze, package, transport. More likely the hospital will be the one accessing this kind of data. Hopefully the first responder has done a proper head-to-toe, found the device, and reported it on arrival.

Another update... My friend Bob and I have been communicating on and off since the conception of this LD plan. Many of the points made here are fleshing out very nicely.

Bob and I have reached a mutually agreeable route north to MI, layover locations, fuel stops, hotel types.

My personal pre-plans are coming together nicely. Created the budget, monies are being set aside, next Saturday I plan to install the new engine guards and handlebar risers.

Early in this conversation I mentioned a desire to switch over to road tires. I've been hem-hawing over this from the start. New means $300+. I'm a tightwad and was drifting towards not absorb this cost right now, leaving on my Shinko's. These tires have something just north of 3k. Purchased a tire thread gage, appears the rear would make it up, but not likely it make the return trip.

My riding partner suggested replacing tires in Michigan. That idea makes me a little nervous in that I would only have a few days after replacement before getting back on the road. I have visions of a blow-out on some stretch of interstate. Perhaps I'm being over caution. You LD riders must do this tire swap-out while on the road?

Uhmmmm! I wonder who I know just did a trip on a sorta good front tire? If memory serves it almost cost him an extra 2 or 3 hotel nights. Who could that be? Texas T, you want to chime in? LOL.

Karl, the advice that I have to give is... if you think the tire can make it, change it. If not for the wonderful folks at the Hico Pie Run, as well as several others that went above and beyond to help, yes, I would have been stuck in Texas for another couple of days waiting for a shop to get a tire. And all because I "thought" I could make it.

Save yourself the aggravation and do it now. This was my second tire change during a trip. The first one was when I rode to Aerostich in Duluth MN. I had plenty of tread left at that point, but not enough to make it back home so I found a local shop that had a tire and did the deal. It was far better to sacrifice some unused tread than to get stuck somewhere because I was too cheap to spend the money previously.

And all because I "thought" I could make it.
This phrase is the start and end of so many road stories.... lol
You asked for advice, so here it is, which would you rather waste, a little tire life or a lot of riding time?
Which would you rather gain, a bunch of peace of mind or a bunch of stress on the road in an unfamiliar place?
Swapping tires on the road is no big deal if you plan in advance and you know how your bike will perform under various conditions.
Place an order with a reputable bike tire shop in advance and call to confirm a couple of days early so they have their ducks in a row.
Doing it on the fly can often mean you wait a day or two for them to find and ship a tire for your bike, which can be a real bummer in a small town or dodging bad weather. DAMHIK
There are times to be cheap, but tires are not usually one of them, especially when planning on a trip.
Best of luck on the trip.

It's been three months since I reconnected with my old school friend. We have stayed in touch, speaking at least once a week. I feel good, had the trip worked out, we would have had a great time.

Two weeks ago, his dad passed. As you would expect, his time avaliable for a trip will now be spent at a memorial service. Also, his father was his only connection to MI. Any future opportunities are not likely to include old home sweet home.

I am giving consideration to a solo trip. The upside, I can select a route that fits my style of riding.

My wife listens dutifully to my ideas. But I see her concerns about exposure to others and proper social distancing. My mother, whose house I would stay at, also is the home of my niece and her 4 year old son. I can't help think it inconsiderate of me to just pop in without everyone's approval.

Regarding tires. I have decided to put new rubber on the bike by mid-June. But, I am about to toss my cookies with all the options, opinions, reviews, dual sport, street. The best choice is to have two bikes! One for dirt fun, one for road fun. Right? Wife didn't think so.

Seriously, this last year I spent more then 90% on the road. I've no reason to believe it will be any different this year. Good wet/dry tires road tires I think will be my best option.

Seriously, this last year I spent more then 90% on the road. I've no reason to believe it will be any different this year. Good wet/dry tires road tires I think will be my best option.
Not being a dual-sporter I can't help you with this, but I think you've answered your own question. ;-)

Are you planning on to get on the road anytime soon again?
Me?

No. I'm in the final months of a multi-month house purchase / remodel / move, and then once I move in I'll still have much to do. I haven't even hit a single Tour Of Honor site this year. We're over 30 days of 110+ temps so far this year and the coming ten days doesn't look any better so there hasn't even been any local rides because it's too darn hot.

phx.png

I'm hoping to get a few TOH sites under my belt by the end of October, but we'll see.

Back