• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Missed my chance?

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Lol.
During the quarantine, the Sam Houston Tollway suspended toll collection. The beltway is 88 miles around Houston. Only 12 laps needed to make a 1k. No fee access and much reduced traffic would have made a very easy ride.
(I know of at least one rider that got a waiver to do a lapping loop ride for an IBA SS1K cert.)
As of today, toll collection resumes.
:-P

LOL, never even thought of that. Still a long day for 12 laps (~15.5 hrs not counting stops for filling up every 1-3 laps (depending on tank range), and that is a constant 65 mph).
I know I rode the Beltway the last time they suspended tolls (Ike I think?). I actually did BW8 from I-10 west to 225 to go to my mother in laws, then on the way home took it north from 225 back around to 1-10 west just for the heck of it (I had never been on the completed section between 90 and 59).

Truth be told, I don't think I have ever been charged a toll on my motorcycle on the Beltway (I have TxTag, and it goes by my license plate).

(I know of at least one rider that got a waiver to do a lapping loop ride for an IBA SS1K cert.)
The "In-City" SS1000 has a couple of additional requirements necessary in order to be certified. IBA certified witnesses along the route and a pre-planned & approved route are the biggies, as I recall. The biggest (obviously) is the proof that the entire ride was within the official city limits.

Quite a conversation on another forum about that very issue with a potential ride - two lanes of the roadway for some short space actually was NOT in the city limits. Once you saw it on a map, it was easily understood why the route had to be re-done for that specific ride.

Never understood it. I ride for the ride, not the sticker. Kudos y'all...

Reactions: cdc
When the 130 tollway opened up I though about getting my ST1100 rally bike out of retirement and trying a 1000 or 1500 mile 24 hour ride. Life got in the way.

If we had to explain it...

:sun:
Exactly.
It is done for the challange of it.
While some may do it as a bragging right, some do it because it is a personal challange.

When I get the bike appropriate to do something like this with, I will be doing it because it does seem like a neat challange, and is a way to get out on the road and do some riding.
While the "Sam Houston Tollway 1000" would not be something I would care to do (very boring IMO) I can see the challange of it.
I do see some of the IBC rides as a nice way to do some fast exploring to areas you have never seen.

I mean which route. Someone said the loop was boring. What's a fun 1,000 route?

This one was good...

Day one of this ride was as well:

Back in 83 I sent off an application for the "1000 in 1" club. It was advertised in the back of the old "Rider" magazine. They sent me the rules, and a buddy of mine and I rode our unfaired V45 Magnas from Longview, Tx to Denver, CO. We were ATGATT courtesy of the local army navy store, I used a nylon flight jacket and my buddy looked like one of the Village People in his black and chrome pseudo leather jacket. Add to that the brushed suede hiking boots and the bright blue ski gloves and I was the real deal. Made it with a couple of hours to spare, collected the third party start and end times, gas receipts on the way, and mailed it in. Got a sticker and a pin in the mail a month or so later.

I don't know if this was an early version of the IBA or some rival deal, but the reward was the accomplishment, certainly not any recognition. We did over 1k in 24 on the way home as well but didn't bother to submit anything, we were just two young guns with limited vacation time and wanted to maximize our time in the mountains.

Now if you want to collect some different kinds of awards you can certainly compete in the Houston MotoGP around Loop 610 most nights ...!

I don't know if this was an early version of the IBA or some rival deal, but the reward was the accomplishment, certainly not any recognition. We did over 1k in 24 on the way home as well but didn't bother to submit anything, we were just two young guns with limited vacation time and wanted to maximize our time in the mountains.
If you read the first section of this, you'll read a (brief) history of the ride that turned into the Saddlesore 1000 ride

Most likely, if you learned about it in Rider magazine, it quite possibly was under the auspices of the California Motorcycle Touring Association - wow!

Apologies for the tangent to the original topic of this thread...

Back