• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Building Maps with OpenStreetMap

Hmmm... I found the files, but they are over 1GB, so I can't upload them or email them.

I might be able to FTP them to my server later this evening and post a link here so you can download them direct to your computer.
If it isnt alot of trouble, I dont even know if my Lenovo laptop/tablet piece of junk will handle it(but I do have a exteral harddrive)

I'll get around to posting my technological woes in off topic eventually. Since lots of yall are tech savy

Like part of a map? Or roads on a map? Or other types of data, like restaurants, hotels etc?

Let's say you wanted your map data to have roads, and...:
  • Fuel Stops/Convienence stores
  • Rest Areas
  • Lodging (hotels, motels, camp locations)
  • Restaraunts
  • Hospitals, pharmacies, clinics
...and nothing else.

Basically, a subset of a map.

Let's say you wanted your map data to have roads, and...:
  • Fuel Stops/Convienence stores
  • Rest Areas
  • Lodging (hotels, motels, camp locations)
  • Restaraunts
  • Hospitals, pharmacies, clinics
...and nothing else.

Basically, a subset of a map.

It has been a while, but I believe it can be done. I think there's a site that this data can be deelected then down loaded. Then it probably will be necessary to convert to Garmin map with an app. It may also be necessary to lace together individual maps if more than one state is wanted as a single map. I will see if I can find that site.

The conversion process "necessary to lace together individual maps if more than one state is wanted as a single map." I've recently relearned this past week.

Thanks for the detective effort.

Last edited:
For those with older or no-longer-officially-supported GPS hardware (think 2006 - 2010 Honda Goldwing built-in GPS units, just for a single example...) it may be the only way to keep updated maps in them.
Ahh,. I see

Ah, I guess the need to remove the POI data was to gain the added memory for maps? I think the system I used years ago was mkgmap for converting to Garmin format. It requires a Java environment to run, but I have updated my system since and can't seem to find the right attributes. I would spend some time, but I would rather be riding. :)

Ah, I guess the need to remove the POI data was to gain the added memory for maps? I think the system I used years ago was mkgmap for converting to Garmin format. It requires a Java environment to run, but I have updated my system since and can't seem to find the right attributes. I would spend some time, but I would rather be riding. :)
Again, the last part of the process is understanding the method needed to 'prune' the data prior to running mkgmap.

That part (splitting files, running mkgmap) I got figured out.

Currently house painting prep work is superseding riding for me...

Back