• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Scooters in the rain

SL350

Reaction score
I was watching a review of the Honda PCX 125 from a UK post on YT. He mentioned that there was little protection from the wind and rain. Later today, my buddy wrote that he got soaked today on his Yamaha Xmax. I've always thought scooters were mostly protected from the elements but I guess that is a false sense of security.

What are the scooter riders here say?

I don't know about scooters but I didn't believe in weather protection until I got my FJR. The key though, is you have to be moving in order to punch through the rain. Moderate rain at 60mph and I won't get very wet. However, Dallas traffic likes to come to a standstill and I usually get soaked. Also, nothing but a rain suit will help in a deluge. Most of the scooters have similar front ends as my FJR so I'd imagine the same rules apply there.

I thought it might have something to do with scooter design and the size of their "Wings". I've never cared for the Vespa look but the EU loves it. The Burgman lines are more like a Goldwing than a Vespa. I'm not too far away from a scooter since clutching hurts my left wrist and the only auto trans are 700cc+ motorcycles (DCT).

What I want now is some rain/wind cover, 400 lbs or less, auto, and no vibration in the handlebars. I'm thinking something like a Versys X300 but with a DCT. Doesn't exist.

Bike manus need to make a few changed for us aging riders.

If you're asking only about regular scooters like the PCX you referenced and not the bigger maxi's, my experience is you sit much higher on them thus outside of most of the air protection zone. Also the fairing/shield are much smaller and larger ones not often fitted.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I was watching a review of the Honda PCX 125 from a UK post on YT. He mentioned that there was little protection from the wind and rain. Later today, my buddy wrote that he got soaked today on his Yamaha Xmax. I've always thought scooters were mostly protected from the elements but I guess that is a false sense of security.

I can't speak for or against any other scooter brands but in 30K miles on my Burgman 650, it does a very good job of keeping me dry when I ride in the rain and keeping me protected from the cold and snow in the winter. I ride year round so a rainy day is not at all unheard of for me to be out riding. I use a Givi windshield to better protect my hands and it helps. I would suspect there are bikes that do even better for protection but the Burgman is better than most. I would not expect to get much protection from any of the smaller scooters.

I can't speak for or against any other scooter brands but in 30K miles on my Burgman 650, it does a very good job of keeping me dry when I ride in the rain and keeping me protected from the cold and snow in the winter. I ride year round so a rainy day is not at all unheard of for me to be out riding. I use a Givi windshield to better protect my hands and it helps. I would suspect there are bikes that do even better for protection but the Burgman is better than most. I would not expect to get much protection from any of the smaller scooters.
I like my 650 Burgman so much I bought a second one.

Rode the C650Sport Saturday and my R1200R Sunday. I would definitely say the scoot offers way better protection. Having owned a TMax and Burgman 650, I would say they offer pretty good protection. I never rode the above scooters so cant respond to that.

If you're asking only about regular scooters like the PCX you referenced and not the bigger maxi's, my experience is you sit much higher on them thus outside of most of the air protection zone. Also the fairing/shield are much smaller and larger ones not often fitted.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
We have a PCX 150, and ya, there isn't much protection. The stock wind screen barely covers the front of the gauges. I installed a much taller Givi mid-length which helps a little, but the wind still hits at my shoulders (I'm 6'1") They do offer a tall windscreen, but we take the scoot of trips on the back of a hitch carrier, and I'm concerned about the flexing if I go any taller with it.

Back