• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lake City-A Peak Experience

Hey, I've been there.
That looks to be the wrong tool for the job.. :)

Honesty....as you know after doing them, Engineer and Cinnamon passes are really just dirt roads at really high elevations with switchbacks and steep drops. Messing up would be costly but they aren't really that difficult in terms of technical riding or obstacles.

Even so, I'd definitely prefer a bit more upright seating and longer travel suspension than you had there.

But...you got a great story out of it...so there's that.

yes. It could have a little more, but it’s fine. I could also weigh a bit less too. If they made a WR350R or WR450R, that would be an improvement IMHO. But the 250 is ok.
Is the WR250 fuel injected? I rode a carburated YZ125 and a KX100 up there once....they definitely didn't have enough power.

My buddy had a CRF 250X and it seemed to do pretty well.

My guess is that a 250 is about the smallest you can go and be ok.

Is the WR250 fuel injected? I rode a carburated YZ125 and a KX100 up there once....they definitely didn't have enough power.

My buddy had a CRF 250X and it seemed to do pretty well.

My guess is that a 250 is about the smallest you can go and be ok.

Yes, the WR250R is fuel injected. That helps. Every motor suffers some power loss at the altitude unless you have a super charger to pack in more air. The WR is fine down here, but up there it's just ok. You need to ride it a little faster to keep your momentum while heading up some hills. It's a fine bike and it wasn't the reason I fell over on California Gulch. That was pure LOFT (lack of f***ing talent).

You would find it underpowered given the bikes in your lineup.

That looks to be the wrong tool for the job.. :)

Honesty....as you know after doing them, Engineer and Cinnamon passes are really just dirt roads at really high elevations with switchbacks and steep drops. Messing up would be costly but they aren't really that difficult in terms of technical riding or obstacles.

Even so, I'd definitely prefer a bit more upright seating and longer travel suspension than you had there.

But...you got a great story out of it...so there's that.

Yes, just thinking of that bike on those road hurts my back.

The key takeaway here is: Don't buy a used bike from Cliff. And be careful following him...

But, how is Ryan? What happened?

Ryan had surgery on his foot Aug 28. He saw his doctor last Friday and it was doing well. I have seen the X-rays on Jeff's phone and you can tell the Doctor used KTM screws and plates to put it back together, so Ryan will be "Ready to Race" pretty soon. My guess is he'll be wearing proper motorcycle boots when he does.

Ryan had surgery on his foot Aug 28. He saw his doctor last Friday and it was doing well. I have seen the X-rays on Jeff's phone and you can tell the Doctor used KTM screws and plates to put it back together, so Ryan will be "Ready to Race" pretty soon. My guess is he'll be wearing proper motorcycle boots when he does.
Did the doctor use Loctite?

1skelegro1.jpg

I like CR 50/27 from Slumgullion all the way back up to Powderhorn on Hwy 149. Super easy ride and very scenic. I came through there on my 1200 GS with my daughter back in 2016 and she loved it.

Did you guys do the lower portion of Engineers that drops out on US 550 just South of Ouray? I found that to be "interesting"...

I think I need to do a trip with Unclebuck :eat:

I like CR 50/27 from Slumgullion all the way back up to Powderhorn on Hwy 149. Super easy ride and very scenic. I came through there on my 1200 GS with my daughter back in 2016 and she loved it.

Did you guys do the lower portion of Engineers that drops out on US 550 just South of Ouray? I found that to be "interesting"...

I think I need to do a trip with Unclebuck :eat:
Ran out of time on 550. 27 is where I found that cool family owned free campground.

Back