• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A quality torque wrench that doesn't cost a fortune?

Compare to beam wrench. Or, do a little arithmetic (handle length is likely NOT a foot long) and use a know weight. Hang wrench from a vise or a fixed fastener with handle horizontal, suspend the weight from the handle.
Yup, that's the way I check it.

I have a 3/8 ft/lb click type from harbor freight. Friend of mine is an auto tech and had the snap on guy check calibration for me. I think I paid $10 with a coupon and got a free screwdriver set with it. I forget the bottom range, but the top end is 85 ft/lbs. Calibration at 75+ ft/lbs is half a pound off, but accurate below that.

So you just put that between your ratchet wrench and the socket?

Yes. It covers all the torque level I need for my bike, It works well with 'proximity beep' or just beeping when reaching the set torque and was recommended by a guy from the K1600Forum . . . . it costs about $60.00.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    400.6 KB · Views: 202
My favourite torque wrenches from ARES and also I have a bean torque wrenche from this company. I started using the tools of this company 5 years ago, and have not yet found a substitute in this price range. Now I'm thinking of buying another bean torque wrenche https://torquewrenchguide.com/reviews/best-beam-torque-wrenches/, I stopped at this selection. On the Neiko and Tooluxe leaderboards, can someone have heard of these companies and can give me some advice?

Most Fastenal Stores offer a calibration service, they send them out to a local lab, or just google tool calibration services near me and you should hit on a batch

Our fastenal here in Gonzales won't sell to individuals any more. At least that's the way it was when the oilfield was still booming. You had to have a company account.

Yes. It covers all the torque level I need for my bike, It works well with 'proximity beep' or just beeping when reaching the set torque and was recommended by a guy from the K1600Forum . . . . it costs about $60.00.

64bd19e01b337d4340d69e7a689c699a.jpg

$29.99 at Harbor freight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Richard, you didn't mention what size you were looking for, but for a simple 3/8" I like the AC Delco short one. I only goes from 3.7 to 37. They make a longer one too that has a wider range.

Since I work on mountain bikes to tractors I need 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2"

Also have a Harbor Freight 1/4" and 1/2" they have worked pretty good for me.

I have several, I like my Craftsman Digitals really well, but the other day I used Mitchntx's Snap On digital torque wrench, now I have envy. I have 11 or so torque wrenches. I have them from 100 in-lbs to 250 ft-lbs. I even have one of the old Craftsman deflecting torque wrenches. So, in summary, I have Craftsman, Kobalt and Harbor Freight. I wore out a Craftsman 0-300 in-lb torque wrench, but other than that all have performed very well. YMMV.

View attachment 233849
And I just Thought I had a lot of tools! WOW!

Those torque adapters for regular ratchets look like a good thing and highly versatile since you could transfer it to other ratchets like from a 3/8 to a 1/4 or 1/2 via an adapter and even use a t-handle, nut driver or finger spinner driver. I'd have to do some research as to what's inside, but for those prices, I can't imagine that it's a real strain gage.

For non-critical stuff that has a wide torque range value or stuff you can't see well, a clicker is adequate. I have an S&K and a Snap-On.

For critical stuff, you can't beat a dial type for an analog torque wrench. I have a Snap-on that needs repairing.... some day.

Real strain gage torque wrenches are several hundred dollars for good reason, but are the ultimate for measuring torque down to the 1/1000.

If there's an adapter like above that uses real strain gages and real computing power, that would be the most versatile device in my toolbox (next to my screwdriver/prybar/scraper/chisel/hole-aligner/putty-knife/punch/wedge/fuse/contact-jumper...)

Friend of mine use to be a tool rep for numerous companies one being cdi . Friend commented that CDI had a contract at one time manufacturing torque wrenches for Snap On . Do not know if this is true now but might be worth looking to for wrench.

That is because you are clueless about HF torque wrenches.
I have 2 from HF. My 1/2" clicker has started failing to click. It seems to get locked up somehow and is 50/50. That is obviously unacceptable and dangerous if you "go for the click" and over tighten a fastener.

I've had it about 5 years and it did well before but I've had to throw it away.

Back to the original post.

I replaced it with a GearWrench Digital. So far so good...we will see.

I use HF for some things. They do have some tested out products and tools that prove their value. And some stuff that it's ok for the purpose it is used for. But some stuff I'll still be a bit of a tool and quality snob, or at least a 'you get what you pay for' snob. There's no harm in diversifying, tools vs purpose, kinda like finances and investing.

Sometime you need a big torque wrench
It is kinda embarrassing when to have to torque the compensator bolt to a higher spec than peak motor torque
IMG_0579.JPG

I went with an AC DELCO digital. Its like a 2" extension, has several settings, beeps as you close in on the t# you set...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Back