• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

NMBDR Week of October 5th

Here are the most recent updates I could find on the Route. Mike

July 13, 2020
No Gas in Weed, New Mexico
Reports are that fuel is unavailable in Weed, NM on Section 1. Indications are that Cloudcroft to the North, does have fuel. In conjunction with earlier fuel updates –Please- plan your refueling destinations accordingly!

July 7, 2020
Riders who just completed the first two sections of the NMBDR are reporting,
In Section 1, the only fuel currently in operation in Dell City is the Firebird Fuel, whose pumps “usually“ work. (Only 1x gas pump was operating).
In Section 2, no fuel stops between Carrizozo and Truth or Consequences.

This is a familiar story. When we rode this route before, the fuel in Dell City, if you can call it that, was only 96 octane and had water in it. Bikes ran terribly on it, i.e. engine cut out just when you were doing that off camber turn and over you went!!!!!!!!!!!!! True enough that there was no fuel between Carrizozo and T or C. Large tanks on GSA took care of that. Entire route, we just filled every opportunity and never had a concern.

I am going to be in my 850GSA so good in range. Now just have to find out if I have Knock sensors. Probably not as they were brought back for shift cam engines.

Thanks for the clarity on ”fuel” state. Have the AT adventure sports version so larger tank. Range should not be an issue

On Jun 29th of this year I rode from Alamogordo to Dell City, then rode section 1 of the NMBDR from Dell City to Cloudcroft. There was a second gas station in Dell City at the NAPA auto parts store (Dell Valley Oil), I refilled my KTM 500 there and had no issues with the fuel. I'm not sure about the hours though. I stopped in at the Dell City Mercantile across the street from the NAPA / gas station to refill my camelbak with ice, gatorade, and water, before heading out.

The gas station in Weed was open when I stopped there on the 29th, however this was two days before the governor decided that anyone coming to New Mexico should self quarantine for two weeks before stepping out to explore the state. I wonder if they closed the store soon after or just stopped carrying gas?

link to gas station: https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...3b0b718ecde89!8m2!3d31.9390229!4d-105.2002897

Is the group open for any riding experience? I've been riding on paved roads for about a year (less riding during winter season). I ride an F800GS and have never been riding for long trips off road on a motorcycle. Used to play around with a friend's KTM 200EXC years ago but not serious long riding. Also did a short sand trail in SHNF two up with side cases, slow but safe.
I'm located in Clear Lake, Houston area.
Thanks.

Hello MonoGS; Yes, trip is open to anyone who'd like to join, regardless of experience. We're not looking to set a land speed record and safety of all is most important. Also, I find NM some of the most beautiful landscapes I've ever seen and stop frequently to enjoy and marvel at it. I'm also a great fan of books by 'Tony Hillerman' and usually am thinking about all the clearly described places in his books. We're planning to mostly camp out along the way, have no problems with stopping for food at restaurants, (Last time the other rider was in such a gol-drammed hurry that we didn't have time to stop at the 'Pie Shop' as you enter Cloudcroft. What a pie shame !!!!!!!!!! You're spot on correct about the Covid test thing and I've got to start looking to source a test site so I can have results by Friday the second. If you're interested, keep posting herein. Pretty shortly, we'll need to finalize up some plans with all those interested in going. To my thinking, we're about 4 ~ 5 [Two Mark's on GSA's and some others on the fence) currently, although, again like I mentioned, it's time for folks to give a firm yes or no about going. Look forward to hearing back.

Hello MonoGS; Yes, trip is open to anyone who'd like to join, regardless of experience. We're not looking to set a land speed record and safety of all is most important. Also, I find NM some of the most beautiful landscapes I've ever seen and stop frequently to enjoy and marvel at it. I'm also a great fan of books by 'Tony Hillerman' and usually am thinking about all the clearly described places in his books. We're planning to mostly camp out along the way, have no problems with stopping for food at restaurants, (Last time the other rider was in such a gol-drammed hurry that we didn't have time to stop at the 'Pie Shop' as you enter Cloudcroft. What a pie shame !!!!!!!!!! You're spot on correct about the Covid test thing and I've got to start looking to source a test site so I can have results by Friday the second. If you're interested, keep posting herein. Pretty shortly, we'll need to finalize up some plans with all those interested in going. To my thinking, we're about 4 ~ 5 [Two Mark's on GSA's and some others on the fence) currently, although, again like I mentioned, it's time for folks to give a firm yes or no about going. Look forward to hearing back.

I did not mention anything about covid testing LOL, but you made me think about that thing. Found this on NM Tourism Dept website:

"... NOTICE FOR ALL TRAVELERS: Effective September 4, any individual traveling to New Mexico from states deemed high-risk based on COVID-positivity rates will be required to self-quarantine for 14 days from the date of their entry into New Mexico or for the duration of their stay in the state, whichever is shorter. ..."

Can we self-quarantine in a helmet? :pilot:

I need to take vacation days as the end of the year approaches and we are allowed to carry only 40 hours forward to next year. So I'm moving things around to make this work and will confirm soon. I still have to get a tent, and some other stuff for the trip (WP riding pants, tools, camping gear, dry bag, etc).

https://www.newmexico.org/covid-19-...RS: Effective,the state, whichever is shorter.

Additional info found at https://cv.nmhealth.org/travel-recommendations/

"... Exemptions
Persons who can show documentation of a valid negative COVID-19 test taken within the 72 hours before or after entry into New Mexico are exempt from the 14-day quarantine requirement, regardless of the state from which they have traveled. Persons who have undergone a COVID-19 test shall self-isolate or self-quarantine while awaiting the results of their test. ..."

Mark, count me in. MonoGS, I am in Sugarland, so if you decide to go maybe we can coordinate travel there. Mike.

@AdvenchaB4Demencha please count me in. I've got confirmation on the vacation days. I will be free from Oct 3 to 11.

@turnermd2 Mike, lets coordinate the trip to NM from Houston. Are you thinking on riding from here or hauling on trailer?

As far as equipment, I would need help form you guys so I buy the essential stuff at least. So to start, here is what I have:
Bike: F800GS equipped with crash bars, engine guard shield, TT racks with Zega pro panniers, Heidenau K60 front and rear (mid life). Moskomoto Nomad tank bag ordered today.
Camping gear: I only have a lightweight single hammock and I think we could find no trees to hang it where we camp, so I'm thinking on getting a tent ordered soon.
Tools/spares: Tire mount tools, patching kit, spare front/rear tubes, air compressor. Still need to get the specific sockets for the front axle.

I don't have a GPS device other than the phone and the apps I could download. I have no bluetooth intercom on my helmet right now.

I did an oil change on Sunday and flushed both front/rear brakes about 2 months ago.

Any recommendations are welcome.
Regards.

Hello Mike; I do not proclaim to be the be all , end all of anything but since you asked...........
  1. Bike sounds just fine.
  2. Panniers? There are as many opinions about panniers out there as there are panniers. Some love em, some don't, some claim they'll break you leg if caught under them, some feel they'll provide a gap between mother earth and bike. You might want to do some research and decide on your storage options. I love my BMW panniers and use them for long distance road trips. The security and ease of load and unload can't be beat. That being said, I've bought some inexpensive Nelson Rigg soft pannier bags (see photo to the left) that strap onto the BMW rack supports. I believe I made a mistake last time by having all panniers on the bike, especially the top box, I think the supporting structure that bolts onto bike weights as much as the top box. Considering that there is some strange physical law out there that causes the bike to gain about 20 lbs everytime you drop it, you end up trying to pick up three times your body weight in motorcycle. Anyhow, a few times it took a Herculean effort to right the bike. Then again, Now that I've taken some training from DART (Bill Dragoo Adventure Rider Training up in Norman Oklahoma) I've learned a few better tricks on picking her up (again, and again and again. I the end to each our own
  3. I personally like the Heidenau K60 Scouts and have them on currently. I've also got a spare set of wheels so I plan on running the Continental TKC-80's as they're quite a bit knobbier than the K60's. I've noticed that the K60 rear tends to flatten out in the middle from asphalt wear and the front knobs wear in an unusual pattern. I used them last time and when we got into the baby **** mud, ended up having to remove the front fender as too much mud and small rocks built up under fender and completely topped the wheel. I figure, the bigger the knobs (TKC80 or Shinko 804/805 or Kenda Big Blocks)
  4. Camping gear, I'm happy with a single tent, decent inflatable pad and a medium temperature bag (it packs smaller). If you don't have a low temperature bag, I use one of the thermal sleeves (like a big sock). Not very thick, at first glance you wouldn't think they would make much difference but boy howdy, do they ever!! Must be that theres one more layer of fabric and air inside the bag and I've been very happy with it. I keep minimal cooking kit, my turkish coffee espresso open top pot works well for boiling water and like Jack Reacher says "eat when you can" or as we pass through any towns, if there's grub, we can stop and mow down a burger or equivalent. As above, hot coffee is paramount to me, all else is calories......
  5. Tools sound about right, I carry the same. As we get closer, we ought to discuss who's got what, no sense in carrying 6 compressors for 6 bikes.
  6. I'm not a huge fan of a GPS telling me I'm on some dot in the middle of a big green area. The butler map is excellent, I carry a compass and I enjoy orienteering. Do I end up on the occasional wrong road or trail - Yes, but the road less traveled is usually pretty interesting.
  7. I've got a SENA, will probably even mount it in my new helmet. Do I need to talk constantly = No, does it help sometimes, = Yes, All up to our own preference.s
Best regards Mark

Hello Mike; I do not proclaim to be the be all , end all of anything but since you asked...........
  1. Bike sounds just fine.
  2. Panniers? There are as many opinions about panniers out there as there are panniers. Some love em, some don't, some claim they'll break you leg if caught under them, some feel they'll provide a gap between mother earth and bike. You might want to do some research and decide on your storage options. I love my BMW panniers and use them for long distance road trips. The security and ease of load and unload can't be beat. That being said, I've bought some inexpensive Nelson Rigg soft pannier bags (see photo to the left) that strap onto the BMW rack supports. I believe I made a mistake last time by having all panniers on the bike, especially the top box, I think the supporting structure that bolts onto bike weights as much as the top box. Considering that there is some strange physical law out there that causes the bike to gain about 20 lbs everytime you drop it, you end up trying to pick up three times your body weight in motorcycle. Anyhow, a few times it took a Herculean effort to right the bike. Then again, Now that I've taken some training from DART (Bill Dragoo Adventure Rider Training up in Norman Oklahoma) I've learned a few better tricks on picking her up (again, and again and again. I the end to each our own
  3. I personally like the Heidenau K60 Scouts and have them on currently. I've also got a spare set of wheels so I plan on running the Continental TKC-80's as they're quite a bit knobbier than the K60's. I've noticed that the K60 rear tends to flatten out in the middle from asphalt wear and the front knobs wear in an unusual pattern. I used them last time and when we got into the baby **** mud, ended up having to remove the front fender as too much mud and small rocks built up under fender and completely topped the wheel. I figure, the bigger the knobs (TKC80 or Shinko 804/805 or Kenda Big Blocks)
  4. Camping gear, I'm happy with a single tent, decent inflatable pad and a medium temperature bag (it packs smaller). If you don't have a low temperature bag, I use one of the thermal sleeves (like a big sock). Not very thick, at first glance you wouldn't think they would make much difference but boy howdy, do they ever!! Must be that theres one more layer of fabric and air inside the bag and I've been very happy with it. I keep minimal cooking kit, my turkish coffee espresso open top pot works well for boiling water and like Jack Reacher says "eat when you can" or as we pass through any towns, if there's grub, we can stop and mow down a burger or equivalent. As above, hot coffee is paramount to me, all else is calories......
  5. Tools sound about right, I carry the same. As we get closer, we ought to discuss who's got what, no sense in carrying 6 compressors for 6 bikes.
  6. I'm not a huge fan of a GPS telling me I'm on some dot in the middle of a big green area. The butler map is excellent, I carry a compass and I enjoy orienteering. Do I end up on the occasional wrong road or trail - Yes, but the road less traveled is usually pretty interesting.
  7. I've got a SENA, will probably even mount it in my new helmet. Do I need to talk constantly = No, does it help sometimes, = Yes, All up to our own preference.s
Best regards Mark
Mark, thanks for all the detailed information. Everything makes sense.
I understand what people says about the hard cases, but I will give these a try as the budget is not that big to spend a couple thousand ot more right now.

I do need to get some camping gear, coffee is essential to me as well, after breakfast and after lunch at least. I will bring some home roasted to share with the group. So will also pick some basic cooking gear.

Regarding the GPS I won't worry about it as I also think that unplanned routes are the ones that bring more adventure. Just asking in case the plan is to follow the map and not the other riders haha.

You mentioned the mid temp bag, what range of temperature should we see? I'm not familiar with the area nor the altitudes.

Thanks again, Alberto.

@AdvenchaB4Demencha please count me in. I've got confirmation on the vacation days. I will be free from Oct 3 to 11.

@turnermd2 Mike, lets coordinate the trip to NM from Houston. Are you thinking on riding from here or hauling on trailer?

As far as equipment, I would need help form you guys so I buy the essential stuff at least. So to start, here is what I have:
Bike: F800GS equipped with crash bars, engine guard shield, TT racks with Zega pro panniers, Heidenau K60 front and rear (mid life). Moskomoto Nomad tank bag ordered today.
Camping gear: I only have a lightweight single hammock and I think we could find no trees to hang it where we camp, so I'm thinking on getting a tent ordered soon.
Tools/spares: Tire mount tools, patching kit, spare front/rear tubes, air compressor. Still need to get the specific sockets for the front axle.

I don't have a GPS device other than the phone and the apps I could download. I have no bluetooth intercom on my helmet right now.

I did an oil change on Sunday and flushed both front/rear brakes about 2 months ago.

Any recommendations are welcome.
Regards.
Alberto, was planning to ride over. Not sure if the official start date is the 5th, but working on that assumption and the north to south route, would leave out late afternoon Friday 2nd and find a camp spot after a few hours of riding. See if we can push through most of the way on the 3rd towards Co. Finish up on the 4th early and spend the rest of the day relaxing in the area prepping for the BDR. Maybe a visit to Pikes Peak depending on when we get there.

Mark, still planning the N to S route? I would prefer that route as it is a shorter ride home.

Mike

Alberto, was planning to ride over. Not sure if the official start date is the 5th, but working on that assumption and the north to south route, would leave out late afternoon Friday 2nd and find a camp spot after a few hours of riding. See if we can push through most of the way on the 3rd towards Co. Finish up on the 4th early and spend the rest of the day relaxing in the area prepping for the BDR. Maybe a visit to Pikes Peak depending on when we get there.

Mark, still planning the N to S route? I would prefer that route as it is a shorter ride home.

Mike
Mike, I went back on this thread and now I'm confused as the first post mentioned doing the route North to South but a few posts later it says "heading to beginning in Dell City", which would be the South end.

I have to be back to work on Monday the 12 of Oct. So I agree that it would be better to finish the BDR closer to home.
If starting from North, which would be the start point/city?

I have no problem riding over, I work Friday from 7AM to 4:30PM, so it would be probably still a few hours of daylight to make some progress. I will see if possible to work more hours Mon -Thu and leave a little bit earlier on Friday.

Alberto.

Yes, myself as well, which is why I'm leaning more towards the start and finish in Ruidoso. See insert story by JoToPe on page 1 of this forum. This way, we see most of the BDR, and there's enough escape points it anyone has to leave or any thing else. Let me know what you think. Also, It seems like it's time to start trying to have some zoom or goto meetings so that we can all discuss things a little more. I'm not as computer savvy as I ought to be, do we have anyone who'd be willing to set this up? or at least try anyway? Mark

Yes, myself as well, which is why I'm leaning more towards the start and finish in Ruidoso. See insert story by JoToPe on page 1 of this forum. This way, we see most of the BDR, and there's enough escape points it anyone has to leave or any thing else. Let me know what you think. Also, It seems like it's time to start trying to have some zoom or goto meetings so that we can all discuss things a little more. I'm not as computer savvy as I ought to be, do we have anyone who'd be willing to set this up? or at least try anyway? Mark
Mark I can take care of the zoom meeting. I will set it up and send the link via Direct Message here.
Just need to know who is confirmed and when is the best day and time to meet. I'm free almost every b.day after 5:00PM except for Tuesdays. During the weeking depending on what plans I have.

Please let me know.
Regards,
Alberto.

I just bought the Mosko Moto soft panniers to fit on my Givi racks for the same reason. I can't afford to break a leg!

Yep me too. Got hard bags with the purchase, but after hearing all the horror stories (and the stories attending DART training) I went with the Mosko's also. They are top notch for sure. Like mark, I'll keep my hard bags for road trips.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 4.26.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 4.26.31 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 164
I did not mention anything about covid testing LOL, but you made me think about that thing. Found this on NM Tourism Dept website:

"... NOTICE FOR ALL TRAVELERS: Effective September 4, any individual traveling to New Mexico from states deemed high-risk based on COVID-positivity rates will be required to self-quarantine for 14 days from the date of their entry into New Mexico or for the duration of their stay in the state, whichever is shorter. ..."

Can we self-quarantine in a helmet? :pilot:

I need to take vacation days as the end of the year approaches and we are allowed to carry only 40 hours forward to next year. So I'm moving things around to make this work and will confirm soon. I still have to get a tent, and some other stuff for the trip (WP riding pants, tools, camping gear, dry bag, etc).

https://www.newmexico.org/covid-19-traveler-information/#:~:text=NOTICE FOR ALL TRAVELERS: Effective,the state, whichever is shorter.

Politicians are such morons!!! You have to take a test 72 hours before entering the state. I guess it's impossible that you could get exposed after the test rendering the test a complete and utter waste of time. Freaking morons!!! This has nothing to do with science!

@Tigerkf i agree. Here on Ft Hood it makes a little more sense. Before madical procedures you test the test 72 hours prior and then ordered into self isolation until the procedure. Not perfect but better.

20200920_175403.jpg

Getting the chain cleaned for the trip.

Any ideas on the zoom meeting day/time. Please reply and confirm so I can set it up.

From my side, I'm free every business day after 5:00PM except for Tuesday, that would be after 7:00PM.

Regards,
Alberto.

Back