• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Africa Twin thread

Why I never buy used, lol

View attachment 276257

Why I never buy used, lol
I understand the sediment (pun intended) but in reality, that bike will be fine. Chain drive so no rear differential, airbox not under water. It will maybe need some wheel bearings or pivot arm bearings.

Biggest issues might be connector corrosion and little electrical gremlins, but I'd still buy it.

Then again...I've had incredibly good luck with used bikes.

Last edited:
What I'll never understand is why they ride it through the puddle. There's a clear path visible arround the edge in the photo...

Still, I generally agree on buying new. Better to know the full history. I have had good luck with the couple used bikes I've owned.
Agree...about the side vs middle of the puddle. Doesn't even look like they tried.

On the used question...it's hard for me to drop 10K on a dirt bike and go ride it hard in the woods.

Agree...about the side vs middle of the puddle. Doesn't even look like they tried.

On the used question...it's hard for me to drop 10K on a dirt bike and go ride it hard in the woods.
For the most part the buying used part was a joke. And I too will never understand going through the middle. See it with some guys I trail race with. Sometimes it doesn't work, lol.

Dang...wet socks again.

Dunno what it is about puddles. Had an unknown group couple years ago riding out of Byrds in Arkansas...(big 4X mecca). Quad folks love to lock front brakes and spin the rear tires...digging deep gullies in the trail. Some puddles look small but who knows what's underneath. Several of this group just had to take their bikes splashing through the middle. Ended badly.

RG, I have only ridden Arkansas one time but the mud puddles they have out there are insane !!! Here was what happened to me when I tried to go around an obvious mud bog. The bike stopped so fast it about broke my wrists. Took 10 minutes of prying and digging to get her free again.

Then they have another type where the water is the same color as the dirt so I can't tell exactly where the edges are or if they are 1" deep or 3' deep.

What I'll never understand is why they ride it through the puddle. There's a clear path visible arround the edge in the photo...

Still, I generally agree on buying new. Better to know the full history. I have had good luck with the couple used bikes I've owned.
Thought the same exactly. I zoomed in on the ruts at the top right of the pic.

Mine weren't quite that pixelated at 20K.:ponder:

Your not riding it hard enough [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Seriously, this is my third air filter change at 20k miles, they all looked like these.

Hmmmm. My internet connection seems to have corrected itself. Now my comment makes no sense.:oops:

Gas mileage never dropped so it was still getting air in there, I also always use Oem filters so I think 20k is good.
I thought I noticed a drop in throttle response when my filter would get dirty.

Gas mileage never dropped so it was still getting air in there, I also always use Oem filters so I think 20k is good.
I've just over 8k miles on mine now. I bought the Twin Air filters for it, but haven't swapped them in yet. Still running the factory filters.

Pretty sure mine won’t do that. Not going to test it.

Back