• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Phoenix AZ

Reaction score
So I was on ADV rider the other day and saw a link to these forums with a wrecked jeep at Black Bear Pass so I thought I would check it out in here a little bit and see what's going on. I ride a BMW K1200LT on the street and a KTM 300XCW on the dirt out here in AZ. Since I am in AZ I will mostly just lurk here but I realized I know a member so I thought I would join and say hi to Texas T. If you know him then you know what a great guy and amazing rider he is. We used to be in a BMW club together here in AZ but I left that club and haven't seen him in awhile. Hope all of you are going to have a great weekend of riding.

So I was on ADV rider the other day and saw a link to these forums with a wrecked jeep at Black Bear Pass so I thought I would check it out in here a little bit and see what's going on. I ride a BMW K1200LT on the street and a KTM 300XCW on the dirt out here in AZ. Since I am in AZ I will mostly just lurk here but I realized I know a member so I thought I would join and say hi to Texas T. If you know him then you know what a great guy and amazing rider he is. We used to be in a BMW club together here in AZ but I left that club and haven't seen him in awhile. Hope all of you are going to have a great weekend of riding.
I used to live in and work for the COP, what part do you live in? I had a friend who used to do the news letter for the BMW club back in the 70's yeah a long time ago.

Tell me about your LT. Mines a Gold (the fastest color) 05 and I just turned 76,000 miles recently. Havent ridden it as much I should in the last couple years

Welcome to the site! :wave:

No worries about not being in Texas. We have tons of members that are out of the state and even out of the country ;-)

Hi Scott, and welcome to my little piece of Texas. This is a good place and I'm glad you found it. All my best to Jenny. Brenda's doing okay; this past week was the 7th anniversary of her stroke, but I don't mention it to her so it doesn't bring back the bad memories. I retired the first of February; perfect timing as it got me out just prior to all the Covid changes which also impacted my old job.

If you haven't been watching on FB, we just moved into our "forever" home this past week after a 10 month renovation so I've literally ridden less than 5,000 miles this year. Yeah, I know, that's not like me, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. We'll be unpacking for months, and then in May I plan to go to SD to see one of my dad's bomber crew members that's still alive and share some memories / photos with him, and then we'll head to Show Low for the summer since I didn't get to go at all this year. I'm really regretting selling the Concours as that would have been a great bike for local rides in the area, but I may just fly back to Phx and then ride the Wing up there so it's available to me.

I've got remodel stuff to do in that house as well, but it won't be as extensive as this one was.

Well, welcome again. Lurk to your heart's delight or pop in and comment on some of the threads. I know there's a big dual sport / ADV ride (unofficial of course) coming up in NM at the end of the month. Just look for the Rubber Chicken thread. Dean Lear (remember the party in Show Low?) now lives in Alamogordo and is going to try to make that ride for one day. He just got back from San Jose BMW where he picked up his brand new 1250GS. By the way, that little motorcycle shop he started years ago is now the #1 BMW dealer in the country so he's pretty proud of what it's become.

Tell me about your LT. Mines a Gold (the fastest color) 05 and I just turned 76,000 miles recently. Havent ridden it as much I should in the last couple years
It is a 2000 model (pre-servo brakes, manual centerstand) in the stealthy grey color. JPegs and PIAAs are the only mods it has. It has been in our stable since 2008. I believe everything still works on it (heaters, stereo, cruise) but I did have the final drive rebuilt several years ago.
You can see a glimpse of it in my avatar where it is parked along the roadside somewhere in the CO Rockies.

Great to hear from you. I'm so happy that things are better than they were 7 years ago.
Jenny and I were riding dirt bikes a lot the last couple years until she crashed and broker her leg in 4 places. Had to leave her out in the woods to go get a vehicle to take her out. I'm pretty sure I saw fresh bear poop about 1/4 mile from where I left her so that wasn't cool. It was about 2 hours from when she broke it until I got her to the hospital. That was July 3rd and she is just now off of a walker so it has been a long slow healing process. Needless to say she has quit riding bikes so we sold her bike.
No FB or drinking for about 2.5 years so things are much better there.
Dean's place is where my LT originally came from. Congratulations on retirement, that's something I hope to achieve someday.
Seems like some great people and stuff on here. Went to Sam Houston national forest and rode a few miles of dirt out there. Sure wish Texas was closer to AZ

Wow! I wasn't aware of that with Jenny. Give her a hug from me and tell her I wish her all the best.
I guess that just reinforces my attitude about always having a way to call for help via satellite tracker, PLB or whatever. I'm always on Dean's case about that when he's riding off-road by himself.
Great job of not drinking any longer - proud of you. One day at a time.
Actually, Tourmeister (owner of this forum) and others come out HERE to do a lot of their off-road riding as we have a lot more public access then they do back in Texas.
Yes, the forum is full of great folks and is very family oriented. No off-color jokes, images, comments, drama, etc. We're sort of a digital HOA - if you like the rules, sit down and stay a while and behave yourself. Don't like the rules? There are plenty of other places for you to live. And for the most part everyone behaves.

We went to Dallas to ride with a friend and I was amazed that there was basically nowhere to ride. A few tracks and one area called Red Rock (I think) but it was only open on the weekend. I couldn't believe it. Just makes me appreciate AZ that much more. I don't have anybody to ride with now so if anybody is coming out this way and see this hit me up, I will ride with you. I don't ride alone so that means no more singletrack for me since Jenny will only be riding 4 wheels from now on.

Used to live off of Cactus and 67th Ave. The city has grown so much from when we moved there back in the late 50's.

There used to be dirt bike races in Dreamy Draw back in the late 60's. Now it's a sea of houses.

Yeah we rode there in the early 70s when I was about 5. I can remember riding right where the road comes into the park. This place has gotten too dang big. Homicides are up 44% from last year. Traffic is terrible everywhere you go all of the time, it's just worse during rush hours

Yeah we rode there in the early 70s when I was about 5. I can remember riding right where the road comes into the park. This place has gotten too dang big. Homicides are up 44% from last year. Traffic is terrible everywhere you go all of the time, it's just worse during rush hours
I worked swing shift for the COP, started at 3 and got off at 11:30, traffic wasn't that bad. Worked out of the Union Hills Service center (Central and Union Hills) right next to NRB the cop shop. They let me park my bike in the motor shed which was nice. Out of the weather and it has a swamp cooler that kept it at a decent temperature inside. That was until 9/11 and that courtesy was removed for security reasons. Got to know a lot of the officers while I was there.
Did you know that Metro Phoenix is larger than LA? That doesn't count the other cities in the metroplex. Like you said to **** big.

Just thought I would pop in and say Hi. Sure hope everyone is doing good. The BMW was down more than ridden last year. Just finally got it back together and took it for a ride. I have only been on it once and only on the KTM once since this post. Things just haven't been the same since Jenny's crash. She is doing much much better mind you but we went from riding every weekend and camping at least once a month to doing nothing. We both put on weight and are now trying to work it off. Hoping to get her out on a quad in a couple of weeks to see if she will like it or if we are going the SxS route. Have a great day everybody

Good to hear from you Scott. All my best to Jenny. We're up in Show Low for the summer so feel free to reach out if you're going to be up this way and we can meet for lunch. The bike is still in the valley; not sure if I'm going to bring it up or not.

We are up in North East Phoenix area. Was the club called PITS then?
I was re-reading this thread and my replies. Karen Rogers was the editor of the PITS newsletter way back then. Her husband passed away in 2019. I call her once in awhile just to check in. She says she wants to get back into riding, maybe you can help her do that?

Well I can try to help. Haven't been riding much So I do have some free time. T if you need me to ride the wing up for you just let me know and we can set something up.
Scott. 602 715 7185

Scott, I don't live in Phoenix anymore. I'm in Texas.
Karen lives off of 83re and Thomas. I will contact her and give her your number.
Thanks for caring.
John

Back