• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Unofficial 9th Annual Rubber Chicken Ride - Truth or Consequences, New Mexico - October 29-31, 2020

What is it like riding in that snow?

I was worried for the 390 guy all the way through :)

I thought the snow would be slicker than it was, and a little nervous on the way down with all the weight on the front wheel. No problem though, the gravel made the difference.

I'm still amazed at how well inroads did on the KTM 390 Adventure. I would have turned around at the first uphill at Palomas Gap, or maybe even the sand before that. And with the stock streetish tires!

How did the 390 Adventure do in general?

Thanks for taking us along with all the nice videos.
Yeah so the 390 is shaking down in the 6 months its been out to be very solid bike by all accounts...verdict is still out on electronics...that's always scary....not sure this would be my go to bike for Central/South America you know..but the bike rocks and actually just rails in the twisties @ speed on tarmac...and is very flickable and quite stable...I think KTM nailed it.with this sub 400 lb.mini V-Strom...
Maybe a better road bike than off road.. but it is willing and able...
I really like it just hope it proves reliable.

I thought the snow would be slicker than it was, and a little nervous on the way down with all the weight on the front wheel. No problem though, the gravel made the difference.

I'm still amazed at how well inroads did on the KTM 390 Adventure. I would have turned around at the first uphill at Palomas Gap, or maybe even the sand before that. And with the stock streetish tires!
Yeah I would have turned around but peer pressure got the best of me...
I still think all you guys are Ex-racers..I felt slow but was thankful I was with some very competent riders...
I always tell myself to not ride above my
Threshold but watching you guys ride was fun.
Thank you Sander for the effort and trouble you put in to make some really memorable videos...that's awesome !!
I'm amazed how well that old school air cooled Honda makes quick work of those tracks...just a smooth little tractor...you obviously have got it dialed in..fun to watch...
I am reminded what makes these rides a joy when you get a good bunch of guys together on a beautiful day in the great SouthWest

Last edited:
Very nice day-by-day summary videos Sander. Your editing is excellent... even makes some of us less capable & slower folks look smooth in short bursts. Funny how much faster the video is moving when you're out front leading vs. when you're running sweep & filming the pack from the back.

It was a great ride w/ no major issues... the most drama was the inner tube change by PFT "Phantom Flat Tim"! Loved how James made it through Day 1 on his 390 w/ non-off-road tires and how Michael killed it on his "new to him" 450. The riding diversity was stellar as your Day 2 video shows. Well done overall and thanks again for organizing.

My overview of the ride.

When I was watching the snow from my AirBnB in Cloudcroft (elevation 8700) on the Tuesday before and reviewing the weather forecast for T or C (elevation 4200) I was a little concerned, I knew the we would be OK but it did give me pause.

hjh.jpg

For me it worked out great, some moisture in the soil, some snow in the shade and although a little cool in the morning once off the pavement it felt great.

And as always meeting and riding with great folks was the real treat. No Halloween pun intended... I had met or ridden with less than 1/2 the group before. And what a group it was, fun, very capable, quick, and prepared! It was great to make new friends and ride again
with those I had before.

Tim's phantom flat repair was just to show us the proper and fast way to replace a tube.

Anybody that knows Hans from the Desert View Inn, put him on your prayer list, cancer.

Last edited:
Back