• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do in the garage today?

Built a fire pit . Old big truck wheels work nicely and last forever . Kids bought a house in Satler at canyon lake last summer so we’re going up this weekend , I haven’t seen it yet and we might need a fire in the evening apparently there is unlimited cedar on the property and SILs Dad has been trimming them up .
Where are the pics?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

I forgot I have a little lawnmower repair shop down the road a bit, I may stop by there and see what they have.
I measured the seal area, seems like it is ~ 45mm and 1.5 mm wide.
There are a few on amazon, but I would rather check fitment before buying.
Or google the owners/service manual and get the correct part.

Initial assembly, handle bars and graphics...

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Its starting to look like something now. Brakes bled, wiring nearing completion. It does crank. Both fenders and grille on. Shifter installed, oil pressure line ran gotta clean up the wiring around the battery.
Even with the painless harness wiring is still time consuming. Im glad i decided to NOT build my own harness.

dnDDgi6EweC1E9LHSuz4nzssl1p&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=8fKfLEylcJUAX9NeQz2&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=TFd3rCRE97oAX_H8dk_&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Got the generator running today.
Local mower shop had the correct o-ring for $4 + tax (a Subaru brand gasket, P/N 214-62540-08). These are going for $8 on amazon and e-bay, so got a much better deal going local (plus knew I got the correct part the first time).
I changed the oil, cleaned the spark plug and exhaust (has a little filter thing on the muffler), and cleaned and oiled the air filter.
Put it all back together, did a test run on it for about 30 minutes, ran great.
IMG_7502.jpg

IMG_7503.jpg

I think this could power my refrigerator if I had to, but I think I will just plan on using this to run some fans and maybe a TV if power is out for a while.
I only added about 1/2 gallon of gas to it with Sta-bil added.
When I put it up, I turned off the petcock and let it run till dead, then drained the rest of the gas out of the carb before putting the side cover back on.
I may drain the gas out of the tank since I probably won't need it till hurricane season starts again next year.
I figure I will go fill my gas cans (2 plastic 5 gallon, 1 metal 5 gallon, and 3 plastic 2.5 gallon) this spring at Buckee's since they have ethanol free gas (but charge a pretty penny for it), add some Sta-bil to it, and save it for "just in case".
It is supposed to last 8 hrs at 1/2 load per tank (1.1 gallon), so that would give me a few days worth if needed.

I also cleaned up the cart I got. A lot of the nuts has worked loose and needed to be tightened, as well as the handle mount on one side had been bent.
While I had the handle off, I remember I had kept my old foam grips, so just for grins, tried them out.
IMG_7500.jpg

IMG_7501.jpg

It actually turned out very nice IMO for what it is.
The left grip is the exact same size as the bar, so a perfect fit. The right side is larger for the throttle tube, so is a little loose on there, but it still works.

While cleaning it, I found it was very loud when empty, especially the top tray.
Got me thinking about the Ranger thread where we were talking about sound deadener, and I had a little TiteSeal left, so I put a few strips across the bottom of the top tray.
IMG_7509.jpg

While it by no means makes it silent, it does reduce the vibration and noise level if you drop something on it and while rolling empty.
I think I have another roll of this stuff somewhere, so may add more if I find it.

Its starting to look like something now. Brakes bled, wiring nearing completion. It does crank. Both fenders and grille on. Shifter installed, oil pressure line ran gotta clean up the wiring around the battery.
Even with the painless harness wiring is still time consuming. Im glad i decided to NOT build my own harness.

View attachment 279069

View attachment 279070

View attachment 279071
You actually gonna make that hot air choke work ?

Too busy fabbing and welding , I might think about pictures when we get a fire built in it . It’s the same as the one at Uncles and Cosmic Kathy’s in Terlingua . I might build several , I found a pallet full of wheels .

Put new shoes on the AT. Did the front Tuesday due to a flat and had a ride to do on Wednesday. Had the rear most of the way on yesterday, but was having problems getting the last part of the bead over the rim. Think I was just tired as it popped right on today. The front axle had a light coat of grease on it when I pulled it, but the rear was bone dry. Put a light coat on both during reassembly. While I had the rear wheel off, I ran the chain adjuster screws all the way out and coated them with a light coat of grease. I've seen these corrode inside of the swingarm and snap off when you try to adjust them out. Those tires are definitely more work to replace that the ones on my dirt bikes.

Old tires
old_tires.JPG

New Rear
rear_tire.JPG

New Front tire
front_tire.JPG

You actually gonna make that hot air choke work ?

Worked yesterday when I started it.

Made some good progress yesterday. Fired it up for the first time since I started the tear down. Waterpump is eating itself though so have a new one coming in today, about to go out and pull off the old one in preparation. Still waiting for front seats to come in along with front bumper and bumperettes. Prepped the new windsield frame with the wiper hardware and whatnot. Going to get it in place before putting in glass. Hope to have it inspected and registered in the next week or two. Fuel gauge doesn't work. Not sure what's going on there. I think it may be the sender but I checked it with the OHM meter before putting it back in and it checked out.

_nc_ohc=cGwYAkhQtoQAX97-q-B&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=xsBJqTIq7aAAX97mvWE&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=qJHwLys7RvAAX_THy06&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=M3qCSdjw3JEAX_I5hXX&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Fuel gauge doesn't work. Not sure what's going on there. I think it may be the sender but I checked it with the OHM meter before putting it back in and it checked out.
Great progress!
You have a lot of fresh paint. It could just be a grounding issue.

Wrapped up the upgrades to the Challenger loaded the custom tune from Flyin Ryan Performance and let the beast roar with the fresh tune new cam and headwork

Must have done well as my wife came out when it fired up and said now it sounds like a muscle car

Great progress!
You have a lot of fresh paint. It could just be a grounding issue.

I tried grounding the pickup/sender body using a test lead and had no luck. If I ground out the signal wire the gauge goes to full so I'm good all the way to the tank.

Back