• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tim Kreitz Adventures

What kept yall from spending the night? Didn't want to drop the bills i imagine. Thanks, we enjoy your vanities

Mainly because it was Sunday and we had to be back at work the next morning. Though you are right, that hotel is pretty expensive for what you get. Still, my wife has been wanting to stay there, so I'm probably gonna take her before it gets cold.

Soooooooo I added another bike to the stable. No regurtz:

Loved the gray "dolly cart" for the slider shot. That was brilliant (and cheap) :-)

Regarding the lack of visibility, it it just from the front or also the sides? That black combination down low resembles pavement and the blue/white combo seems as if it would blend in with the sky thus making it difficult to see.

Loved the gray "dolly cart" for the slider shot. That was brilliant (and cheap) :-)

That reflection bugged the crap out of me in editing. I almost removed it from the shot with AfterEffects but decided I had already put waaay too much work into a video that's gonna get maybe a couple thousand views. Anyhow, when you have a smooth concrete floor, dolly shots can be done with just about anything. I shot a TV commercial a couple of years ago where we mounted the camera to a bicycle; much less work than assembling rails.

Regarding the visibility problem, I'm still studying and experimenting. High-viz gear, combined with high beams, has made a difference. That said, I'm still gonna look around for some different lenses and LED options. I'll do an update when I cross that particular bridge. :thumb:

Last edited:
Yup... Bandit headlights have always been a sore spot. There are many ways to improve them but none really compare with newer generation bikes. The dreaded black dust issue is a real sore spot and causes significant dimming of the light output. Many attribute the "blockers" vibrating causing the dust formation. Silicone(ing) them in place can help - some actually remove them completely. What I found after three tries was the plastic housing parts themselves were vibrating together and needed to be fully glued together. This represents a one time deal because you won't be able to separate them later and you'll need a whole new housing.

To separate the headlight housing components you'll have to put the assembly into a "warm" oven. Please do not rush this process by cranking up the heat - ask me how I know. Warm is relative but I'd stay south of 250* for sure. Once heated you'll need some gloves to pry apart the housing halves. This will allow access to the projector lenses and mounts for the bulb housing. SilverStar bulbs also helped my situation greatly.

Many have gone to HID lighting. Fortunately the Bandit's fairing can hold the necessary stuff to power those things. Mind you, that was years ago and there are likely even better options today. Guess I just got a little nostalgic watching your video after 151,000 miles on mine. Anyway... Good luck with the lights and I always rode with high beams on except at night with oncoming traffic - something I tend to avoid at all costs anyway.

Yup... Bandit headlights have always been a sore spot. There are many ways to improve them but none really compare with newer generation bikes. The dreaded black dust issue is a real sore spot and causes significant dimming of the light output. Many attribute the "blockers" vibrating causing the dust formation. Silicone(ing) them in place can help - some actually remove them completely. What I found after three tries was the plastic housing parts themselves were vibrating together and needed to be fully glued together. This represents a one time deal because you won't be able to separate them later and you'll need a whole new housing.

To separate the headlight housing components you'll have to put the assembly into a "warm" oven. Please do not rush this process by cranking up the heat - ask me how I know. Warm is relative but I'd stay south of 250* for sure. Once heated you'll need some gloves to pry apart the housing halves. This will allow access to the projector lenses and mounts for the bulb housing. SilverStar bulbs also helped my situation greatly.

Many have gone to HID lighting. Fortunately the Bandit's fairing can hold the necessary stuff to power those things. Mind you, that was years ago and there are likely even better options today. Guess I just got a little nostalgic watching your video after 151,000 miles on mine. Anyway... Good luck with the lights and I always rode with high beams on except at night with oncoming traffic - something I tend to avoid at all costs anyway.

Thanks for the info. I've been reading up on this problem and found some interesting info so far. One guy took the assembly apart, cleaned out the grey dust, swapped the high-beam deflector over to the low beam, and chunked the other deflector altogether. He said it made all the difference in the world.

Just a quick note to pass along word that Matt Vann, my dear friend of many years, passed away on Thursday December 10th after an arduous battle with cancer. He was only 50. Many of you know Matt not only from his appearances in my videos, but from his podcast The Vann Cave, and as the longtime bassist in my band. He will be greatly missed in my life and the lives of many others. Rest in peace my brother.

Last edited:
I saw your post on FB. Who wrote that obituary? It was great.

You were lucky to have a great friend. Some folks go their whole lives without ever having a really good friend.

I saw your post on FB. Who wrote that obituary? It was great. You were lucky to have a great friend. Some folks go their whole lives without ever having a really good friend.
You are so right. Some people come into your life and quickly improve who you are as a person, as a man. That's what Matt did for me. BTW, Matt's wife Nicole gets the majority of the credit for that obit. I just added a few things and copyedited it for publication. I thought it turned out great as well.

https://npwelch.com/obituary/matthew-vann/

Tim, thanks for letting us know. What a rare man and friend. I'm sure a friend like that would wear me out. Did the man ever sleep?

I'm sure a friend like that would wear me out. Did the man ever sleep?

I am convinced there are some people that have figured out how to get 36 hours from a 24 hour day... When you read or hear about all the things they have done, you have to wonder HOW they managed to do so much in such a short time!? I, for the record, and most definitely NOT one of those people. I struggle to get 12 hours out of a 24 hour day :doh:

True. Matt and I both shared that whole "I'll sleep later" mentality. I think it's one of the many reasons we were such good friends for so many years. :)

Sometimes I have these passing thoughts or ideas and think to myself, "This might be a good idea for a short story." Then I proceed to not write the story. Well, this time I did. Older motorcyclists will hopefully connect most with this piece, but I think pretty much anyone of a certain age who has every tried to take stock of his or her life will be able to appreciate it, too:

http://superbikeblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/leos-650-special.html

Sometimes I have these passing thoughts or ideas and think to myself, "This might be a good idea for a short story." Then I proceed to not write the story. Well, this time I did. Older motorcyclists will hopefully connect most with this piece, but I think pretty much anyone of a certain age who has every tried to take stock of his or her life will be able to appreciate it, too:

Brilliant, Tim. That's a few minutes reading very well spent.

Excellent story. I'm sure a lot of us will see ourselves in parts of that tale.

Tim, great story and since I'm 73, I related to it. I've been married twice. Neither wife liked motorcycles. Lots of truth in it.

Side note: the Yamaha 650 special and my 2019 Ninja 650 have similar weights, engine design, and performance, but the Ninja doesn't have a kick starter.

Thanks for all the kind words, fellas. Very much appreciated. I'm very happy to know that it was meaningful in some way to you guys.

Back