• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ADV Gravel Riders - What Tires?

And every time I scan this thread I end up with a different combo, lol!

Well some of these rear tires don't last 2000 miles, so can experiment, lol, expensive experiment.

The bad thing is you can't really listen to any one about mileage, performance is all u can use in your decision, to many variables, HP, bike weight, how heavy the rider twist the throttle, road conditions, talor the tire to your usage is all you can do and hope for the best

Well some of these rear tires don't last 2000 miles, so can experiment, lol, expensive experiment.
My Shinko 805 lasted about 2200 miles. Shortest life tire I've ever run. Cheap, but needed a new one quickly.

I wonder if the sandy soil is easier on tires than the rocky stuff over here.

My Shinko 805 lasted about 2200 miles. Shortest life tire I've ever run. Cheap, but needed a new one quickly.

I wonder if the sandy soil is easier on tires than the rocky stuff over here.

Less cheap when you factor in the $30-$50 tire change and hassle.

I went to the MotoZ Adv GPS front and rear. Really like the rear and they say it's good for +-5000 miles. Way better than the 2000-2500 I was getting on the TKC80's. I'm looking for alternatives to the front though due to a low speed wobble and high speed vibration.

The bad thing is you can't really listen to any one about mileage, performance is all u can use in your decision, to many variables, HP, bike weight, how heavy the rider twist the throttle, road conditions, talor the tire to your usage is all you can do and hope for the best
Yes and no on mileage.

I agree you can't assume you will get the same mileage as a person.

However, if the same person posts they got 3K out of on tire and 7K out of another, you can infer that it's likely that one of the tires lasts significantly longer than the other.

I have never had a tire last less than 3,000 miles and I thought was hard on them. Well I have room for improvement.
To clarify, my stock tires from new are at 7000 miles and look better than I want them too, lol. But need more aggressive tires for winter wetness. But my 2000 mile statement pertains to the Shinko Big Block type tire. Around 2000 to me they are done. I'd be very happy if a 50/50 tire got me to 5000.

132118343_10164905997040268_971005652926330326_o.jpg

"Today I found out that the K60 Scout Rear tyre with the touring strip. Is basically useless. Fun but useless, for muddy trails.
The front tyre is fantastic for grip and clearing mud, but the rear is like running slicks.
Found that until the bike was sideways ( happened instantly and constantly) or the tyre was in DEEP mud, there is zero grip.
To get my self up even a mild slope, I had to wheel spin a hole and then drive forward.
I can see them being far better on dry trails.
The on road performance is FANTASTIC though."

To clarify, my stock tires from new are at 7000 miles and look better than I want them too, lol. But need more aggressive tires for winter wetness. But my 2000 mile statement pertains to the Shinko Big Block type tire. Around 2000 to me they are done. I'd be very happy if a 50/50 tire got me to 5000.
Try the MotoZ GPS on the rear running in the 50/50 direction. I think you'll get over 5K out of it and will be really happy with its on road and off road performance.

I sure have been and I'm over 5K on it now and will likely get at least 7K on it. Only downside is that it's kind of heavy and isn't stocked by American Motorcycle Tire.

Verdict still out on the front. MotoZ Adventure is a great tire off.road in wet,.mud or whatever and is good.on road as well if you keep it below 85-90 and away from grooved pavement. I expect to get at least 7K out of it as well.

I'm thinking an Anakee Wild.might be a better choice for front though and might be what I try next. Probably just as good off road and better on road.

That has never worked for me. I have tried running them at 25, 30, and 35 psi for the life of each front tire at each pressure and it has made no noticeable difference in tire life for me on any of my 4 GSs. I basically get about 3.5-4K from a front before it is cupped so bad the front end shakes like crazy and even reversing them doesn't help. I've tried the rears at 25, 30, 35, and 40-42. Rears last about 2-3K depending on what kind of riding I'm doing and how hard I am running. I can blow through a set of tires in North Carolina in 6 days from new to wear bar. Nowadays, I generally keep them at 32-36 front and 40-42 rear.

6600 miles on the MotoZ GPS. Still has about 6/32nds left.

Rode it through sand, rocks, wet, cold, wind and highway over the last few days and it's still my favorite so far. Doesn't slip even with all of those miles.

Maybe has 1000 left...but I'll probably replace anyway as I don't like to push them down to the wear bars.
d8dc64f24fbd6a24191da1c74679c8aa.jpg
c4e087e020db25349f93670cfc1ee5ad.jpg

I hate tire questions :-) Its like asking what color hair looks best on a girlfriend? I've just burned off a Shinko 705 on my GSA , all street miles and a few >100 blasts. It went 5500 miles and I am replacing both my front Anakee adventure, and the fried shinko with a new set of Shinkos. They are fine for general touring, and folks that actually ride em on gravel like them. They can be purchased for a very reasonable $150 a set and installed for $25 a wheel (off bike). Probably go more miles if I wasn't touring at 65-75 all the time. I'll never get to ride my GSA on gravel, since its always too pretty to get dirty, and now its about to go up for sale. Anyone want a real nice 2011 R1200 GSA camhead? It's gotten too tall for me and I bought a 2009 R1200RT to run around on. Its not as fast or sporty as the GSA but its lower and smoother.

Yep. @Jarrett posted this a while back. It's a good video with a lot of information. The summary is at the end if you don't have time to watch it all. I used it to decide on the MotoZ GPS and I've been pretty happy.

I am thinking of trying the Dunlop Trailmax next. I am really a bit undecided though as I have been really happy with the GPS. I still have about 1000 miles left on the GPS to decide though.

Oops, sorry missed he already shown it. Should have known. But this is page 22. Lot to go through. Good info anyway.

I've looked at the Trailmax mission rear as an alternative to my Motoz GPS rear, but have decided against it. While the Trailmax doesn't have the solid center strip, generally a plus, it's got far less aggressive grooving everywhere else. I've yet to have an issue with the GPS finding drive. It even bites in sand. Mud might get it, but the Trailmax isn't reported to be any better there. Tire life reports in both are good. I personally had 7k miles on mine when I crashed the bike last month. Could've gone another 1k miles or more easy.

The Trailmax front looks to be the more interesting tire to me. It looks far more aggressive in person than on the internet. Might well be a good compromise to get a little better street performance than something like the TKC80 I've been running. Still, the TKC80 is pretty good in the street. We'll see if I change it to next time I order tires.

Back