• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Harley Adv bike

I wonder how hot it gets. Looks problematic.

This may have been covered in some earlier posting, but I wonder how the engine is set up. The classic Harley engine is all about potato-potato rumble-rumble. I can't see adventure bike riders wanting those characteristics. Stock adventure bike engines are typically smooth and pretty quiet.
This has zero likeness to a 45 degree air cooled V- Twin.
I'd imagine it's quite different.
Cam profile is different, idle RPM and RPM range is different, etc etc.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This has zero likeness to a 45 degree air cooled V- Twin.
I'd imagine it's quite different.
Cam profile is different, idle RPM and RPM range is different, etc etc.

HD did patent their characteristic sound about 20 years ago IIRC as it is extremely important to their brand identity. But I can't imagine this new, higher revving, higher HP engine having the same single crank journal. You couldn't quell that vibration enough at those rpms with that stroke and 13:1 CR.

I built Buells for land speed racing for 15 years, the biggest being a 1650 cc 4" stroke x 4" bore and 13.5:1 CR that cut off at 8000 rpms and I can say that I wouldn't want to go any more than those 5 miles at a time with that firing order, even when I was running the bike at 1340cc. Corn squeezing going through it pumping up HP made it worse because the power pulses were so violent.

HD did patent their characteristic sound about 20 years ago IIRC as it is extremely important to their brand identity. But I can't imagine this new, higher revving, higher HP engine having the same single crank journal. You couldn't quell that vibration enough at those rpms with that stroke and 13:1 CR.

I built Buells for land speed racing for 15 years, the biggest being a 1650 cc 4" stroke x 4" bore and 13.5:1 CR that cut off at 8000 rpms and I can say that I wouldn't want to go any more than those 5 miles at a time with that firing order, even when I was running the bike at 1340cc. Corn squeezing going through it pumping up HP made it worse because the power pulses were so violent.
They did file a patent but IIRC is was denied.

BTW I took an EVO engine in on trade that was running 12:1 with a stock bottom end. Yes it pulled 2 studs and that's how I ended up with it for $140 worth of my labor.
I made out very good. All Jim's components along with Zippers modified dual plug heads

I wouldn't ever call this an adv bike. It's more like an "all-roads" bike that looks like an adv, like the Multistrada. They both have the same wheelbase as a Dyna or Softtail and the tire sizes are 120 and 170, so they are definitely leaning towards OTR touring with aspirations of gravel and dirt farm roads.

But, they certainly have everyone, everywhere talking about how great of a job they did the first go around. A lot to like about it. It'll certainly be a good platform engine when it makes it's way into the Dyna/Softtail line and the baggers via a longer stroke.

The BMW GS kind of created the ADV segment.

The HD is basically the same specs all around as the GS. Same weight, same tire sizes, similar clearance and horsepower.

Saying it's not an ADV bike when it essentially is a copy of the "definition" of an adventure bike, is inaccurate IMO.

I do agree the definition has been broadened by bikes that have blended the line between dual sport and adventure bikes, but the Pan America is most definitely an adventure bike in my book.

I might actually have to go down to the local Harley dealer to have a look at one. No intention of buying, but I'd be interested to see how it feels.

Agreed, definitely an adventure bike, and hopefully a competent one at that.

There is definitely a spectrum of adventure bikes on the market. I've seen some categorize them as adventure tourers.

I would agree, and that's how I think of my Wee - as an adventure / light tour bike. For my style of riding, that's a bike that is competent to carry me long distances in reasonable comfort. And at the end of the day, I can make my way down a nasty, rutted dirt road to a national forest campground without fear of killing myself. For some, an adventure bike will traverse the Gobi Desert or the Road of Bones. for the "rest of us," I think my definition is much closer to the truth for most of the folks I ride and occasionally tour with.

Ok, after a lifetime of mocking H-D (I well remember the faux dirt bike era), I bow before their engineering on this one. I get the cruiser mentality but I don't like dino-tech. I always liked the XR1200/XR750, and one or two other race styled bikes. But wow, this Pan America really looks like H-D is serious, and put some time into the engineering. I'm really impressed with the new 150HP engine, nice!

I hope they are wildly successful and will expand the lineup to include a scrambler, something along the lines of the Triumph or Ducati Scrambler. Honestly, I might buy one.

I hope they are wildly successful and will expand the lineup to include a scrambler, something along the lines of the Triumph or Ducati Scrambler. Honestly, I might buy one.

It'll definitely be an eclectic mix of clientele in the showroom.

I always liked the XR1200 sportster they came out with, but would love to see one of those with that motor in it. That would actually most likely be my next bike over the Pan America.

I always liked the XR1200 sportster they came out with, but would love to see one of those with that motor in it. That would actually most likely be my next bike over the Pan America.
Same here. I love my Strom but I'm getting too old for tall bikes with crotch rocket footpeg positions. Alas.

That is basically what would/should have been the Bronx, but they killed it because it wasn't a real Harley.

Apparently the battery sits very low on the bike. Wouldn't this be an issue on water crossings? No big deal?

1616030721871.png

Apparently the battery sits very low on the bike. Wouldn't this be an issue on water crossings? No big deal?

View attachment 288328
I can't quite tell if the battery is down there or not, but that looks like a reg/rec on the front if the skid plate. It'd get smashed quicky on all the gravel roads I ride and also get really hot when caked in mud.

I can't quite tell if the battery is down there or not, but that looks like a reg/rec on the front if the skid plate. It'd get smashed quicky on all the gravel roads I ride and also get really hot when caked in mud.

Guy who posted the photo confirmed it is the battery down there.

That's an odd place for a battery and I've never been a fan of putting important stuff like that R/R down where it can get pummeled with rocks and such. It'll be interesting to see what they say about it when the bike starts to show up for the masses to see.

Wow... So what happens when the battery shorts in a creek or mud hole? I'll bring the tow strap...
Most owners will have nothing to worry about as their bikes will get used more like Sport Touring bikes and rarely if ever see deep creeks or mud holes. I would be more worried about rocks hitting the RR than anything else. I am sure the aftermarket will have a fix for it in short order.

Yeah, looks to be good as a comfy sport tourer. Color me unconvinced as a serious adventure bike. I hope they prove me wrong.

Back