• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas (2021 version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1a62f263dd1e803a016ece021b119d10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that is an important thing to remember, we can all suggest sites to visit. Seems about 1/2 the list is the same as last year, and I think for this thing to grow, it needs to have a lot of variety each year to keep it from getting stale. I have put in 2 so far (the K-T-M caboose in Katy and the Stephen F Austin statue in Lake Jackson).
I have a few others I am thinking of, but want to make sure they are accessible for a pic with the bike.

And yes, the pollen stinks. I had 5 days off last week to do some riding, but was just to light headed to do any distance riding with all the sinus stuff going on.

I think it's 14 of the 50 that are repeats, so not half.

Well, finally got out and got some today.

#11 - Brenham Fire Museum
2021-04-12 12.32.17.jpg

#46 - Dime in a box
2021-04-12 13.17.32.jpg

#7 - Classic Rock Coffee
2021-04-12 15.08.57.jpg

The coffee place was a pain to get a pic. No parking spots, 3 pm and the Navasota streets were actually busy.
I ended up just pulling into the hashed out area and grabbing a quick pick.
Glad my Goldwing has reverse. First time I actually needed it.

edit: Well, I have no idea what my password is to upload my pics on the site. Sent a message to the admin there.
Password is with the paperwork that came with the flag.

Last edited:

View attachment 290604

#46 - Dime in a box
View attachment 290605

#7 - Classic Rock Coffee
View attachment 290606

The coffee place was a pain to get a pic. No parking spots, 3 pm and the Navasota streets were actually busy.

edit: Well, I have no idea what my password is to upload my pics on the site. Sent a message to the admin there.
Dm sent

I've planned a two day East Texas swing next month that includes those stops, and I remember from last year that getting a pic at the Classic Rock Cafe was a b*tch.

OK, my password is in the letter with the flag. I had just skimmed over it when I got it and did not realize it.

I've planned a two day East Texas swing next month that includes those stops, and I remember from last year that getting a pic at the Classic Rock Cafe was a b*tch.
Yeah, that is almost one that you should take with just you and your flag. They say 10% of your submitted pics can be just you and your flag.
I guess it just depends on the day and time you are there.
Apparently 3 pm on a Monday afternoon is not good.

Both Dime in a Box and the Fire Museum were simple. Pulled up, walked around for a bit to stretch the legs, drank a little water, pulled out the flag and took a pic. Put the flag back, looked around for a bit at the Fire Museam, went and looked close at the dime (wonder why 1917 date on it? Year it was founded??).
The coffee place was drive by twice, seeing the little hashed off spot up front, pull into it, jump off the bike, grab the flag, take pic (making sure not to step out into traffic), put flag back, then back out of spot, trying not to get hit by traffic.
I have actually been there in the past a few years ago with my mom when she lived out that way, she liked the breakfast waffle they had, I don't remember what I got (maybe a quesadilla?).

My next round will be either San Jacinto Monument/Anchor blown a mile/Mystery boat or Gonzalez Jail Museum/La Salle Monument

Last edited:
We got to the classic cafe late in the day. I think they were closed. We had no problem parking in front. I think theyā€™re pretty lenient about the photos. Just as long as they can see your number and some part of the item. I had a few marginal photos and they didnā€™t object to them.

I did the same thing, sent the admin an email, then got home and found it in the envelope with my flag

View attachment 290604

#46 - Dime in a box
View attachment 290605

#7 - Classic Rock Coffee
View attachment 290606

That coffee place is a pain. I took the pic last year after they had laid down some chip seal, it was hotter than he**, so got some of the tar on my boots when I ran across the street to take a picture. I hope it's never a spot again.

Last edited:
That coffee place is a pain. I took the pic last year after they had laid down some chip seal, it was hotter than he**, so got some of the tar on my boots when I ran across the street to take a picture. I hope it's never a spot again.
They are a sponsor, so they probably will be.

OK, my password is in the letter with the flag. I had just skimmed over it when I got it and did not realize it.

Yeah, that is almost one that you should take with just you and your flag. They say 10% of your submitted pics can be just you and your flag.
I guess it just depends on the day and time you are there.
Apparently 3 pm on a Monday afternoon is not good.

Both Dime in a Box and the Fire Museum were simple. Pulled up, walked around for a bit to stretch the legs, drank a little water, pulled out the flag and took a pic. Put the flag back, looked around for a bit at the Fire Museam, went and looked close at the dime (wonder why 1917 date on it? Year it was founded??).
The coffee place was drive by twice, seeing the little hashed off spot up front, pull into it, jump off the bike, grab the flag, take pic (making sure not to step out into traffic), put flag back, then back out of spot, trying not to get hit by traffic.
I have actually been there in the past a few years ago with my mom when she lived out that way, she liked the breakfast waffle they had, I don't remember what I got (maybe a quesadilla?).

My next round will be either San Jacinto Monument/Anchor blown a mile/Mystery boat or Gonzalez Jail Museum/La Salle Monument
In addition to the three stops I mentioned earlier, I plan to hit the Texas State Railroad Station in Rusk, the Elvis mural at the Goldwater Antique Mall, the Palestine Visitor Center, Texas Sidecar Company, and Horny Toad H-D. I'm taking a few days off so will do it during the week. I'd like to check out the fire museum, railroad station, and maybe the visitor center and will probably hit the Cafe for lunch if it's not too busy. But the rest will just be photo stops.

I like that angle way better, we did ours from out on the main street and it was much more crowded and a little more sketchy.

I like that angle way better, we did ours from out on the main street and it was much more crowded and a little more sketchy.

I had to wait for a mom and her son to clear the area, but it was only 90 degrees, with sweat running down everywhere, so worth it! :eek2: ;-)

Whoops! Sorry! I got my social media accounts mixed up, thought I was replying to a post on FB; the I Live In Texas and Ride A Motorcycle group...

I guess we can't delete posts here...

1626717286188.png

I have had 36 since early May. Will get the rest in the fall when it cools off some.

So for any planning on going to the get together on September 11, there are still a few discount rooms available ($99/night), but you have to call to get it, the online booking discount has ended.

I plan on leaving Thursday morning an heading to a few of the stops (Horney Toad HD in Temple, worlds largest spur in Lampasas, Motorcycle Museum in Burnet, and Heart of Texas Museum in Brady) on the way to Kerrville. Will be about a 8-9 hour day to get all that. I may drop the Brady stop if the day gets long.

On the way home will get Javelina HD and Alamo BMW in Boerne and then Greune HD in New Braunfels.

I will get the YO Ranch, Kerrville National Cemetery and Bent Rim Grill while in Kerrville.

Not sure if I will even get to 25 stops this year. I have 5 so far, 3 more I will get hopefully this week, and 10 with the ride in September.
25 was my goal, but COVID has made work crazy and hard to get off, but I will try to get as many as I can. Hopefully October will be better riding weather and I can get a few days off.

Maybe on Friday the 10 I could do Brady, Coleman (Sinclair station) and Sterling City Rail Road. That would be a full day for sure (about 7 hours just riding, so 8-9 total).

A lot will depend on the weather for sure. If temps are still hitting the 90's, my rides will probably be shorter ones.

Last edited:
50 down none to go.

Linda and I took a ride to West Texas the last few days and knocked out the last 14 stops we needed Including number 50 which was semi close to home.

With the still hot weather West of home, we were riding at first light and looking for an early check in hotel no later than 1pm.

EDIT: Was a little more efficient this year even with getting food poisoning in Fredericksburg and having to make 2 trips to the Hill Country instead of one. Made 5 weekend trips including the one we finished today which was 1519 miles.

In Total we rode 4352 miles for 87 miles per stop.

Attachments

• IMG_20210911_105741137.jpg
    IMG_20210911_105741137.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20210911_110031252.jpg
    IMG_20210911_110031252.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
50 down none to go.

Linda and I took a ride to West Texas the last few days and knocked out the last 14 stops we needed Including number 50 which was semi close to home.

With the still hot weather West of home, we were riding at first light and looking for an early check in hotel no later than 1pm.

EDIT: Was a little more efficient this year even with getting food poisoning in Fredericksburg and having to make 2 trips to the Hill Country instead of one. Made 5 weekend trips including the one we finished today which was 1519 miles.

In Total we rode 4352 miles for 87 miles per stop.
Congrats!

I have 21 done now, with 3 local ones I still need to get (funny how the closest ones get put off because "I can get them anytime").
I need to get one more so I can at least get to 25 and be a "Tour Finisher".
I think the closest one to me is the Sidecar place in Donie, and that is about a 6 hour round trip.
I could probably do the Palestine and Rusk stops as well with the Donie stop , that is a 420 mile/8 hour day. Should not really be a problem, especially when the weather cools off a little more.
After that, I am into at least overnight trips to get any more.

About 2 months left till it is over, so if you are wanting to get all 50, need to get going on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back