• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Road Rage in Colorado on I25

On 9/11 we were still living in Phoenix and my wife had flown to Amarillo to visit with her dad. Well as we all know no one was flying and I had to drive to Amarillo to pick her up. On I-40 well east of Albuquerque I was coming up on a 18 wheeler and there was a car coming up fast from behind but still about 1/4 mile back when I moved over to pass. The driver pulled up next to me mad as a wet hen for slowing him down when I pointed ahead. There was the back of the 18 wheeler just feet from the other driver. Of course he had to slam on his brakes and after I passed the truck and pulled back in he passed me. I just opened my hands and did a see what I'm talking about sign. He waved and sped on by, hope he made it home safe and sound. You have to keep and eye on everything when driving.
Ride safe.

I got pushed off the rod in Utah by a red neck deer hunter for passing him on my 2007 GSA . The BMW's suspension saved my life. I also worked a scene in Boulder Canyon back in CO as a VFD member where a lady forced a 1150GS rider into a rock wall where he broke both legs and bled out in front of me. Road rage is intensifying with the increasingly Godless nature in humans and stress of our society. In Texas everyone is armed, so you better expect a shootout if you get into an incident!

I got pushed off the rod in Utah by a red neck deer hunter for passing him on my 2007 GSA . The BMW's suspension saved my life. I also worked a scene in Boulder Canyon back in CO as a VFD member where a lady forced a 1150GS rider into a rock wall where he broke both legs and bled out in front of me. Road rage is intensifying with the increasingly Godless nature in humans and stress of our society. In Texas everyone is armed, so you better expect a shootout if you get into an incident!
I work with some folks from Michigan and one of the engineers was down once for work. We were out to lunch and he was driving very cautiously but grumbling the whole time. He said he would not put up with our traffic back home but thought that since he was in Texas he better behave since everyone carries guns. I decided I should keep up the myth and just told him that was a really wise idea. He has never come back for a work trip. :biggun:

The whole "they carry guns down there" thing is kind of a red herring. Car-to-car shootings do happen, and they're big news when they do. But for everybody who takes a pot shot at somebody, there are probably a hundred or more incidents of people threatening to trade sheet metal. Statistically, that's the far greater danger. Plus, most people (myself included) can't hit squat while shooting from from one moving vehicle to another, whereas, when the weapon of choice is the front quarter panel of a Silverado, it's hard to miss.

I've been using a bit of a mantra when things happen on the road. I just say to myself " that person just found out their child has terminal cancer" Makes me give them plenty of room and I feel sorry for them.

This is very real, and those are wise words from Vinny. External factors can make people react badly. My wife is dealing with some personal health issues right now, and more than once lately, I've found myself beating my steering wheel in frustration because the person in front of me took an extra second to leave a light or pulled a little too close in front of me - things I'd usually just ignore. I'm glad that nobody has decided to fight back at the "stupid cager from Texas" because I momentarily let my emotions get the best of me.

I maintain that if somebody either (1) does something dumb or (2) does something seemingly aggressive toward you, the best response about 95% of the time is no response. Cuss under your helmet if you must. Beyond that, look straight ahead, pretend like you either didn't see it or it didn't phase you.

Back to the I-25 incident in Castle Pines - I think I mentioned this in an earlier post, but it has long been established that the incident didn't "just happen." There had been an escalating series of aggressive moves between the HD riders and the pickup. When the riders took off, they made the mistake of thinking that they had gotten the last word, so to speak, so they had won and it was over. They were wrong. I've never heard the final decision on who started it, and it really doesn't matter. Bottom line: both decided to play, both joined in the escalation game, both behaved inexcusably badly, and both lost in their own way. Legally, the pickup driver was at fault and he'll pay the price. From the Dr. Phil how'd-that-work-out-for-you point of view, the riders were responsible for their actions and reactions; it was preventable and they failed to prevent it.

Drivers are very nice in Wyoming , they wave to you , since there are so few drivers out there . And open carry is legal there and very popular . I’ve driven through Colorado many times and 25 is a must but only from raton to walsenburg then I’m on state roads . One time I drove 25 north from walsenburg . It will never happen again . No issues with other drivers but the road is the roughest interstate I’ve ever drivin it made me wish I was in Louisiana 35 years ago . When I go north now it’s in eastern Colorado .

Yeah, there's some bad pavement there. Plus, if you get caught in holiday or extra bad weekend traffic, you may well be bumper to bumper from Colorado Springs all the way to Loveland.

Don't even think of using I-70 on weekends or holidays. The traffic starts building just after noon on Friday, and you may well pass through nearly solid stop-go from north Denver all the way to the Eisenhower Tunnel. On Sunday afternoon, it's just the reverse. It's much like I-35 between DFW & San Antonio these days.

Going west on a Sunday morning in summer it was backed up east bound from I25 to the second high mtn pass . West was ok if all the prius would stay out of the hammer lane , I can pull every mtn pass I encountered at posted speed plus pulling my trailer . Get outa my way I need to be as far away from the city as I can get .

Back