• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

East Texas 500 May 15-16

my6

Reaction score
First Name
David
Weather permitting of course.
Been a few years since the last time I/we tried and failed due to some torrential rain. There's a DFW group that's starting in Rusk and I thought we could jump off in Livingston.

I'm in. I have permission and everything. I need a good ride. It's been a minute.

Two day overnighting in Rusk? Clockwise or counter?

UPDATE: RIDE INFO HERE!!!!! FREQUENTLY EDITED!!!

I've spoken to my6 and I'm just going to post all the ride info and basics here.

It looks like we are going to have a good turnout! In fact, so good that we are going to need to break up into smaller groups if we want to finish in a reasonable time. We'll all determine together how that goes down Saturday morning, but groups of more than 6 can really drag average time down. Mixing up the groups after lunch or for the second day is highly encouraged!

IN:

My6
William Wolfen
RollingJ
Trailtime
DannyBoy
MuddMissle
PP186515
DLDR
Stingray+1
Dustycajunsr
Shirini23
Lambrusco +1

The first group will be leaving the Livingston Walmart parking lot at 8am. A second group could leave at 8:15, a third at 8:30, so if you are straggling you might have your choice made for you. The later you start the later you end. Faster riders to the front, please!

Day One is 337 miles. Day Two is 135 miles.

We will be riding the track counterclockwise, with a late lunch will be in Center, Tx. Possibly Estrella's Mexican. I'm open to options.

The hope is that every rider has a well prepared bike, the skills, tools and spares to change a flat, and some form of navigation and communication equipment. Mileage between gas stops can be close to 100 miles. If any of the above are an issue, please be forth-coming and we can address them before we start the ride. We all will be willing to help if it comes down to it, but there is no sweep vehicle.

Please wait at each corner for ONLY the rider behind you to arrive IF THE RIDERS ARE STRUNG OUT. This keeps the groups moving. I like tight groups but it doesn't always work out that way, and no one should feel pressured to ride above their comfortable pace. If you find yourself alone at a corner for very long, turn around and figure out why. If anything comes up and you decide to peel off or go home, TELL SOMEBODY! We don't want to spend the day searching the ditches.

Don't get caught up in the fun and override your sightlines. These are all two-way, frequently traveled roads, with a few slick wooden bridges in the middle of corners, and I don't want anybody to take a swim or end up as a hood ornament. Blind corners and rises abound, so stay in the right track if you can't see what's coming!

Warning!!! FM2526 may eat you alive! On the first leg of the first day, as you cross 287, you will be entering the infamous FM2526. A few great rides have ended here, and at least a few clutches have been smoked. If it is muddy, the mud will stick like nothing you have ever seen, caking up and stopping wheels from turning. If the road is closed, turn around and head south on 287, taking a left on Bob Belt Rd. This will get you back on track.

I'm leaving my house at 5 and should be there by 7:15.

Download whatever track works for you and consider leading a group!

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

Attachments

• 2021et450v2 Tracks Only.gpx
    407 KB · Views: 257
  • 2019ET500.gpx
    862.3 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Reactions: my6
Tracks from 2 years ago, by Rydah. 24th post.

I'm in. I have permission and everything. I need a good ride. It's been a minute.

Two day overnighting in Rusk? Clockwise or counter?
The Northern group will be starting Friday morning and doing it clockwise so if we want to meet and greet then counter clockwise I guess.

Last edited:
You say jump off in Livingston, do you mean start in Livingston?
Are you starting Friday morning or Saturday morning.
I am in, just need more details.

I should clarify that I can't ride Friday. I guess I didn't note the dates correctly.

I can do a two day ride starting Sat morning, overnighting at a hotel in Rusk.

Maybe I catch yall on Saturday on the way to Rusk and we ride together Sunday?

I'm not totally opposed to riding it all in one day either. I've done that ride a few times and it's a good one.

Yes, start in Livingston. Pretty sure we could do this in two days at an easy pace barring any unforeseen monsoons so Saturday and Sunday sounds good to me, I'm flexible.

I intend to camp off the bike and I'm guessing Garrison is about the halfway point. Correct? Joel, you've done this before, input?

Joel so you could start with us Saturday morning in Livingston?
I am up for one day or two days either way.

Joel, I promise not to block you this time. Ha! History. On a past ride I moved over to the left tire track to stay out of the dust of the riders in front of me riding in the right tire track. (one lane dirt road) Someone came up behind me and I thought they were in my group. We had two groups that time the medium speed group which I was in and the fast group which Joel was leading. It was Joel and the fast group unbeknownst to me that had pulled up behind me and they wanted to pass but I was in the left tire track. I moved over and they shot past me like a comet on afterburner. So sorry for the screw up. (lay on that horn if I do this again I am just a dumb old Aggie for sure) LOL Even the year it was pouring rain we all had a fantastic time.
Don't miss this one.

Garrison is about halfway, but I've always overnighted in Rusk. There is a KOA there that has been basecamp many times before, and a decent hotel or two as well.

Rusk is where I would prefer to stop. I don't mind sharing a room, if that helps.

This also makes day two a little shorter, which I like. I'll have a couple hours of driving to get home after the ride.

I appreciate your valuable input. RUSK KOA it is. Let's try to avoid the Deer this time.

Joel
Do you remember the name of the motel we stayed at in Rusk years ago?

I think I found it --- Weston Inns

I called around. The KOA has a double occupancy cabin with a bath for $144.

The Weston Inn has no doubles available but does have singles for $75, and they have a pool and king size beds. They have a lot of singles left.

I'm good for hanging around at the KOA (or wherever, really) but I'm going to book a room at the hotel. That pool is going to feel great after 300 miles.

There's a Facebook KTM rider group starting in Rusk.

Yes, start in Livingston. Pretty sure we could do this in two days at an easy pace barring any unforeseen monsoons so Saturday and Sunday sounds good to me, I'm flexible.
So the latest plan would be to ride to Livingston early Saturday and start from there. If so that’ll work out good for me.

We have started at the Walmart in Livingston before. That worked pretty well, as there was no problem leaving tow vehicles on the outskirts of the parking lot overnight.

It's fairly easy to have an overall average of 35mph and a moving average of 45mph, unless there is a major mechanical issue or a bunch of flats. 300 miles at 35mph is 8.6 hours. An 8am start time would have us arrive in Rusk around 5pm.

How does that sound?

We have started at the Walmart in Livingston before. That worked pretty well, as there was no problem leaving tow vehicles on the outskirts of the parking lot overnight.

It's fairly easy to have an overall average of 35mph and a moving average of 45mph, unless there is a major mechanical issue or a bunch of flats. 300 miles at 35mph is 8.6 hours. An 8am start time would have us arrive in Rusk around 5pm.

How does that sound?
It sounds like it might just work!!

You guys have fun just found out Wed I have cataract in both eyes, didn't understand why I was having trouble see GPS and road signs the last few months first eye operation is the 10 and second eye the the 17
Have fun everyone

You guys have fun just found out Wed I have cataract in both eyes, didn't understand why I was having trouble see GPS and road signs the last few months first eye operation is the 10 and second eye the the 17
Have fun everyone
Wow good luck and hopefully back to riding soon!

Have fun everyone
Sorry to hear, but you should have 20-20 vision after that!

The first time we stayed there years ago it was brand new and fantastic.
Last time I stayed at Weston it was run by Indians and the rooms were OK but the pool was dark green and the potted plants around the place were dead and gone, just saying it could be the same. Not trying to discourage anyone just don't get your hopes up. I will be staying there. I will take my swim suit just in case.

Back