• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Want to Buy The clapped out Dual Sport thread Buy/Sell

Reaction score
Looking for my first dual sport bike.

I have the mechanical know how to fix just about any problem. Bike just needs clear title, current plates, and straight frame. Trying to keep the initial purchase low.

It’d be nice to keep displacement below 650 and above 250. XRxxxL, Dr350s, DRZ400s, Dr650, KLX250 or 300, KLR650, etc.

I’ve been a woods rider for a little while now and I’ve got the itch for longer rides.

Willing to travel for the right deal (D/FW + 100mi)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a '96 DR350S I'd like to part with. Low mileage but it's been sitting for a long time. Has a pumper carb.

For Texas riding only a big bore, like the DR 650 would meet my criteria for comfort on pavement and decent off road worthiness. Its all about the distances we need to travel to get anywhere here. Even my plated WR450R was not enough. And I soon tired of any big single for anything beyond 75 miles. But that's the tradeoff.

Attachments

• YAMAHA WR450.JPG
    YAMAHA WR450.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 103
Current plates required for a clapped out DS project bike? Seems like you are narrowing your options quite a bit.

Ability to get plates is one thing, but who keeps current plates on a clapped out bike?

I am narrowing my search.

I’m willing to work on a bike. But paper work, not my bag...ya know?

The right bike is out there and I’m willing to wait.

If I gotta pay a couple of years in back taxes that’s one thing. But, if I gotta go hunting down a replacement title and re-register the bike that’s quite another.

I say it again - I’m willing to wait.

I am narrowing my search.

I’m willing to work on a bike. But paper work, not my bag...ya know?

The right bike is out there and I’m willing to wait.

If I gotta pay a couple of years in back taxes that’s one thing. But, if I gotta go hunting down a replacement title and re-register the bike that’s quite another.

I say it again - I’m willing to wait.

Yeah. Just reacting to "current" registration.

Having a clear title and having been registered in the past gets you an easy DMV transaction. You don't need the plates to be current.

Yeah. Just reacting to "current" registration.

Having a clear title and having been registered in the past gets you an easy DMV transaction. You don't need the plates to be current.

I try to use language that would discourage potential sellers from dumping their headaches.

Not trying to waste their time or mine.

Respect all the way around.
This is a small-ish community and we don’t need bad blood, especially when a new rider like me is trying to come into the fold.

I have a 2018 KLX250 (pictured) for sale. Just put new tires on it. I haven't posted it for sale yet but will by the end of the week. DM me if interested.

I know it's out of your specified range but my dad has a DR200 he's about to sell. 2000s, runs good, current tags, ready to ride, he rides it all the time. LMK if you might be interested in that.

I'm the originator of this thread, and I think its great how much response this post has received.

I may be close to getting a bike. But I hope the community can use this to get those clappers back on the road/trail and under new riders.

Thanks TWT Fam!

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

@San1k your bike would be great, but probably wat out of my budget. Thabks for posting and don't be afraid to keep bumping the post on this thread. Technically against the rules but I'm a capitalist, so you do you

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

It was great meeting you this morning!

Thanks for the smooth and drama free transaction this morning.

I hope you enjoy your first dual sport bike!!

Rich

I have a 06 KLR 650, bought as a project but I’m moving on. Low miles, starts and runs. Shifts. I’ve only ridden short trip in my hood. Looks a little rough. I have a bunch of extra parts. Plates expired but title in my name. Tires decent. 1900 bucks out the door. I’m just west of Ft Worth. Plan to list on CL next week.
any interest?
David

Attachments

• 64D0F035-7BE3-4DAD-9342-3B894ABDDD2A.jpeg
    64D0F035-7BE3-4DAD-9342-3B894ABDDD2A.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 115
I have a 06 KLR 650, bought as a project but I’m moving on. Low miles, starts and runs. Shifts. I’ve only ridden short trip in my hood. Looks a little rough. I have a bunch of extra parts. Plates expired but title in my name. Tires decent. 1900 bucks out the door. I’m just west of Ft Worth. Plan to list on CL next week.
any interest?
David

the OP apparently has found a bike. Post yours up in the for sale section, catch more eyeballs that way

My brother is considering a smaller dualsport as his first bike, clapped out frankly preferred. Who has a super sherpa gathering dust?

My brother is considering a smaller dualsport as his first bike, clapped out frankly preferred. Who has a super sherpa gathering dust?
I have 2000 Sherpa, but it's really nice. 95% condition. 2800 miles. Not clapped out. Pegs, rack, seat concepts seat, due in any day & new tires. Runs & looks fantastic. I will only sell it for $3500. So, that may or may not be an option.

Back