• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HOUSTON: NE Houston - Atascocita/Humble area riders!

Messed up 2 master links. I have one more. But taking out #2, the rivet tool "cutter" part broke.

Update: after getting away from this thing for awhile. I think I messed up by following the directions precisely. There is a step in the directions that appears to have been left out... maybe in the translation to English... I think I have a handle on getting the rivets correct on my last master link... But I have to figure out how to get the pins out without the tool... Hoping I can get the plate removed and then punch out the messed up pin this morning.

Update 2: The bike is happy again. Silver Bullet was kind enough to loan me a chain breaker, and my broken chain tool was good for pressing and flaring the rivets. I think I'm chilling for the rest of the day... Thanks Dave!

Weather permitting, maybe a short ride tomorrow! Maybe one of the shorter rides... Kenefick, Votah, Moscow, around Lake Livingston, and back down via 224 and 223/222 from the north.

Last edited:
According to KHOU and Weatherbug, the chance of rain tomorrow morning is either 60% and increasing, or no more than 20%, increasing to 30% in the afternoon. Both sources have both answers, so it will either be a good day to ride, or a monsoon.

I flipped the coin... Here's a route! Texan Mart start in Atascocita, KSU at 0800.

Head out to Dayton, Kenefick, Votaw, Moscow, Coldspring, Shepherd, and back down through Kenefick. The return side will cover 224, 223, 222. about 250 miles, and with longer stops or if we need additional hydration stops, I would say conservatively 6 hours. Should be back to Atascocita at 2, assuming we don't hit major rain... BaseCamp says 5.5 hours, Garmin says 4:45 for drive time, so that's over an hour for stops.

Depending on which guess the weather people get right, it should be great! (or stormy). Bring your rain gear, just in case... hopefully it won't be raining at KSU!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 126
forecasts have been really bad the last few days. For today, it appears that they did two, to cover both bases... that way one would be right. Like they're admitting that they have no clue....

I'm thinking an early start. If the hourly rain chances are to be believed, they start increasing around 1 or 2 this afternoon.

Ride, Sunday, 7/11, Colmesneil and Bulldog Cafe.

I'm thinking a ride tomorrow, KSU at 0800 from Texan Mart, Aerobic and WLHP in Atascocita, about 6 hours (Basecamp time, usually a bit high), 300 miles, should get back to Atascocita around 3. Should hit the Bulldog around noon for lunch. We'll run the route clockwise, with fuel stops in Onalaska and Woodville. Can do an extra "end of ride" stop at the Fuel Maxx at 150 and 2518 just east of Cleveland.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 122
Ah, man! I just finalized my plans to ride one thousand miles tomorrow. I was going to post ya’ll a Rever link to follow if you wanted.

My plan is to head west on I-10 to Fort Stockton, then return. I’ll be thinking of ya’ll on the sweet curves around my home as I go steady with ma boy.

Going to try and make it. At a family thing, but hopefully I get home early enough to get up that early! Haha!!

You guys all missed an awesome ride! The weather was good for at least 70 miles! We got a good run on 224, and then about a mile down 156 toward Point Blank, we could feel the change immediately as we crossed the storm front... wind kicked up really fast, and it was pouring rain. A check of the radar in Point Blank seemed to say if we just cut out Moscow and head through Leggett, we were good. By the time we got to Leggett, that had changed. We were sitting in some of the worst of the storm, and the entire rest of the good roads on the ride were in the storm.

We bailed onto 59 south, and the rain finally stopped for good just north of Kingwood. Fortunately, we stayed hydrated via osmosis. :rolleyes: We headed on down to Mo's BBQ near Lee and 1960 in Humble, and had a good lunch and called it a day.

Thanks for coming up, Chris! It wasn't the pristine ride, but still a good day. When the only issue is unanticipated weather changes, it's not bad. As my old riding buddy from years back said "It's all part of the adventure!"

It was an adventure! We'll keep trying... the weather has to dry out sometime, right?

Yes, well, We’ll get the kinks ironed out on the easier pathway first.

Follow my Ride on REVER!

I’ll be getting out in an hour or so.

I was planning a SS 1000 myself and was thinking Ft. Stockton and back.

Good luck!

I’m sorry to hear about ya’lls weather. Mine was about as amazing as I could expect.

I have to say, between my knees, my butt, my wrists, and my teeth, this was among the most miserable days of my life. I can’t wait to do it again.

I had forgotten how gorgeous the west hills can be. Seeing the valleys and washes open up in front of me as I started going west of San Antonio was darn cool. I did get rained on twice, but both were less than 20 seconds. 🤷

I’ll need to figure out something to do with my water backpack. The hose end doesn’t really fit into my helmet very well, so I was fighting with it from time to time as I tried to drink and ride. I ended up just gulping water at each gas fillup.

But in the end the numbers speak for themselves:
90C5C63F-2B26-465D-9F75-A48425D7CC58.jpeg
C75A293B-285E-4D46-B58A-C1B84A38A0BF.jpeg

Hello NE Houston folks. New guy happy to ge back on a scooter after 14yrs. My things have changed since I rode last. Paper maps are now Google Maps, and apps, and weather radar, and all that at your fingertips. I like this Rever app, but if there are better ones, please let me know! I prefer to put the phone away and just ride, but it is nice to be able to check ahead for traffic, rain, or construction. I did a nice 200 mile loop yesterday, kind ran into a time crunch and had to put the hammer down on the way home, but the morning was really nice. Left the house at 0630 and there was hardly anyone on the road.

Kingwood to Magnolia to Montgomery to uhhhhh, ok turn right, Huntsville to Coldspring to Cleveland then Dayton and home.

Attachments

• 14B97E74-379C-4E38-92C6-A359B9D7B116.jpeg
    14B97E74-379C-4E38-92C6-A359B9D7B116.jpeg
    463.9 KB · Views: 132
Good job Cello! I'm glad to hear that the weather cooperated for you. I did my first one from near Birmingham, AL to Andrews, TX (part of moving to Andrews)... all I20. It makes for a long day, for sure!

Last edited:
Hello NE Houston folks. New guy happy to ge back on a scooter after 14yrs. My things have changed since I rode last. Paper maps are now Google Maps, and apps, and weather radar, and all that at your fingertips. I like this Rever app, but if there are better ones, please let me know! I prefer to put the phone away and just ride, but it is nice to be able to check ahead for traffic, rain, or construction. I did a nice 200 mile loop yesterday, kind ran into a time crunch and had to put the hammer down on the way home, but the morning was really nice. Left the house at 0630 and there was hardly anyone on the road.

Kingwood to Magnolia to Montgomery to uhhhhh, ok turn right, Huntsville to Coldspring to Cleveland then Dayton and home.
Welcome to the board, and it's good to hear you're riding again after the long time off! You are certainly welcome to join and on our rides as well... or post some of your own, and we'll see if we can all get together! I certainly remember the days of pulling out the paper maps and planning, and scheming... printing and highlighting paper maps to find my way. It's changed a lot!

My rides, as I've posted a few times are typically of the "mildly spirited sport-touring" pace, and I try to find curves where ever I can, but we don't do the wild and crazy stuff like some. We've had big dual sports, sport bikes, sport touring bikes, ADVs, and touring bikes in the groups. Usually, the groups aren't big, and it's all pretty manageable and not a big crowd. We'll get into the curves a bit, but everybody rides their own ride, and we don't leave anybody behind. Above all, shiny side up, so we can ride another day. Hope we can get together on a ride soon!

Welcome back to the 2 wheel world! Your ride made a big circle around me here in Conroe.

Welcome to the board, and it's good to hear you're riding again after the long time off! You are certainly welcome to join and on our rides as well... or post some of your own, and we'll see if we can all get together! I certainly remember the days of pulling out the paper maps and planning, and scheming... printing and highlighting paper maps to find my way. It's changed a lot!

My rides, as I've posted a few times are typically of the "mildly spirited sport-touring" pace, and I try to find curves where ever I can, but we don't do the wild and crazy stuff like some. We've had big dual sports, sport bikes, sport touring bikes, ADVs, and touring bikes in the groups. Usually, the groups aren't big, and it's all pretty manageable and not a big crowd. We'll get into the curves a bit, but everybody rides their own ride, and we don't leave anybody behind. Above all, shiny side up, so we can ride another day. Hope we can get together on a ride soon!

Thanks! I am taking it way easy as I “become friends” with our new bike. I’m impressed with its handling for an 840lb bike, but I have been watching as many safety and motorcycle riding skills videos as I can to keep me within my honest riding skills at this point. When I was a young man I rode ignorantly - as fast as I wanted with no concept or care about the consequences. I can’t play that game anymore, so I am grandpaw-ing my way down the road for now. I have about 40,000 miles experience under my belt but I am taking it as though I am a beginner again.

Welcome to the group and back to the biking world!! I took a few years off and completely regretted it! Haha!

Yeah Flash, I enjoyed the ride. Definitely all part of the adventure. Like I said yesterday, I won’t be able to join on another ride until mid-August to September.

It looks like I'm out this weekend. Got a major report that needs to get out, so I'm working. It looks like the weather could be decent... but 20 to 50% rain. hard to say. If anybody can get out, ride safe, and I hope the weather is good!

So far, they are saying sunny on Saturday. I'll see what they say this morning, but this actually could be a dry weekend to ride. last weekend looked good, and I was working. I still need to go to HIghlands Saturday for some parts... looking to see how things are going to shake out.

Back