• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin Area Urban Dual Sport Rides

Austin Area Urban Dual Sport Rides

There's a lot of good areas to ride off road locally in and around the Austin city limits. Trails range from flat, wide dirt roads to tight single track goat trails thru the woods. Most places aren't too remote but can be a hike back to a road or gas station.

I try to ride every weekend if the weather is clear and I can sneak away from my normal responsibilities. If anyone wants to hit the trails, reply to this thread to decide on a meeting spot. Full protective gear is recommended and water is a must. Dual-Sport bikes under 650 are advised unless you are proficient at controlling your beast off road. It's about 25/75 street/dirt so you'll needed to be plated.
Hello, very interested in any Austin Area dual sport rides with my recently plated 2020 WR450F

I did some exploring today. Area 51, behind the rec center on Loyola, general east side shenanigans (we do NOT talk about fight club). Had a great, sweaty time. Hadn’t been there in years. Some of it looks used!
2E348886-43FA-4D1E-AED3-41D95E8840BA.jpeg

0AF91344-BE7E-41F0-AC71-F0F5C9C2465A.jpeg

814C28FD-1185-4EDE-8133-5F49EA4B7BE0.jpeg

469AC2C4-FCCB-47AD-A0B5-68B61685A71B.jpeg

4668522C-BAD8-4B42-B5F9-946D553B97B2.jpeg

A705F5D7-922A-4FA2-9AC5-E7F3E5255998.jpeg

35D31341-36C1-4E97-B323-E1A9113ACB3C.jpeg

AFCA9CAF-CB76-4BA0-A9ED-E503900C1293.jpeg

Thx for posting up 51
w/ all that new hwy construction that got done last yr , i figured by now 51's all shut off from riding.
it's been so long, several yrs!, since i've ridden there.
Last time i went there, i noticed some homeless had strayed inside of the trails, and w/ homeless sheltering around there, yep, needles all over the place.

I’ve been to A51 in the last few months but haven’t been on the Loyola stuff before. I tried to find the trails a few months ago but had ****** tires and got stuck badly, twice, in gumbo mud. I need to go back again now that I have better tires.

Same here Dao. Haven't thought about the place in a while.

Thx for posting up 51
w/ all that new hwy construction that got done last yr , i figured by now 51's all shut off from riding.
it's been so long, several yrs!, since i've ridden there.
Last time i went there, i noticed some homeless had strayed inside of the trails, and w/ homeless sheltering around there, yep, needles all over the place.
I was on the alert for homeless camps. Honestly didn’t see much evidence of any. I saw a cpl clear paths in the woods by 51 that could have been trails to camps, but not any garbage or signs that people were living there. Maybe I need to look more closely, or maybe the ordinance being reinstated and the subsequent cleanup (I’ve seen it!) has people reconsidering ATX. We can hope.

Yes, the clay out by Loyola highlighted the weakness of the Shinkos I’ve currently got mounted.

51, if i recall is/was? 95% 1st/2nd gear....
good place to get some seat time riding around tight, thick trees but w/o the rocks and ledges and climbs.

Last edited:
51, if i recall is/was? 95% 1st/2nd gear....
good place to get some seat time riding around tight, thick trees but w/o the rocks and ledges and climbs.
Some of it was slow going. I saw stuff that looked like the remnants of single track, long since grown over. Be nice to recut that stuff.
Perhaps more investigating is in order.

Reactions: my6
Some of it was slow going. I saw stuff that looked like the remnants of single track, long since grown over. Be nice to recut that stuff.
Perhaps more investigating is in order.
Where do you access the trails from? I live pretty close to Loyola and never new about this place.

Access 51 behind the hotel. Neighborhood east of the rec center is your best shot for Loyola. Residents on that side seem less likely to be perturbed by a dual sport bike putzing around back there. STAY AWAY FROM THE WALKING TRAIL. No need to create bad blood.

Speaking of Loyola, anyone know about this area n the other side of 183 at Loyola and Colony Loop Dr? Looks tempting from the satellite view.

1626706489446.png

I've been out to Bastrop a few times over this summer and haven't seen any crackdowns. YMMV

Bastrop seems like "easier to get forgiveness than permission". I was last there about 2 months ago, saw at least 10 other bikes and had no issue. Others report different.

Bastrop seems like "easier to get forgiveness than permission". I was last there about 2 months ago, saw at least 10 other bikes and had no issue. Others report different.
Last time I was there, I drove my truck in and unloaded there. Is that how y’all are doing it?

Last time I was there, I drove my truck in and unloaded there. Is that how y’all are doing it?
I've just been riding there on my DR650 but I have seen at least one person unloading from a truck.

Did a bit more east side exploration today. Not too many pics, but found a place that was a good test for a recently installed steering damper. Lots of unexpected sand. I hate sand.
6A6028CA-4ED5-43ED-93C0-D0840BF7E2BE.jpeg

B15DFED9-91B9-4219-9EBC-6AD7BD43F871.jpeg

I go to Bastrop almost every Saturday unless there is another ride going on. Usually 9-noon.Never had a problem ,several times cops saw me riding in there and said nothing. To my knowledge there is no problems if you have a plated bike and stay on the designated roads and Power lines access road, I wonder in the creek often tho. As long as you stay away from peoples houses you should be ok.I stay away from the trail right behind the houses on Kaanapali Ln .

I'm glad to hear you that you aren't having any trouble riding Bastrop. That is good news.

Reactions: my6
Back