• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Craigslist/Facebook

I also learned a few years ago that license plate is also not required either.

Not required on what? a motor vehicle in Texas?

You really should be familiar with the law.

TL,DR: a "moped" is a two wheel motor vehicle with a saddle and 50cc or less and less than 5 hp that cannot exceed 30mph within one mile. The 49cc Vino in the ad is such a vehicle, and it requires a title, license plate, and a class C driver's license along with insurance to operate in Texas. A "Motor-assisted scooter" is a stand-on two wheel thing with <40cc and can be operated by human power alone, this is like those "Bird" and "Lime" type "scooters". No license plate or license requirement, can only be operated on roads 35mph speed limit or less and must basically follow bicycle laws. >50cc "scooter" (like my Vino 125) is a motorcycle by code, has ordinary motorcycle requirements in TX (class CM license, unrestricted road use, etc.).

Last edited:
Wow, just wow. 11,000.

@mr72 i conducted a traffic stop on a scooter without license plate in 04 or 05. I was told by dispatch that only DL class C and insurance required on 49cc or less and top speed of 30mph or less. So told him to have a nice day. This was on Ft Hood, TX. He even had a orange flag on a pole like at the dunes.

Wow, just wow. 11,000.
That one appears to require a FB account to see. That’s the first one you’ve posted I couldn’t view.

That one appears to require a FB account to see. That’s the first one you’ve posted I couldn’t view.
TITLE IN HAND (located in Houston,Tx)
- OEM 2006 Banshee Special edition (last year made in U.S.A)
- All OEM except a few things
- Great condition still have factory white marks over it(some shown in last pictures)
- air-box
- Zero issues.
- Pm for videos riding/ cold starts.
- 11,000 obo
- Have a great day and God bless.
241339393_1027143724738749_285123719573131159_n.jpg
240535669_1027143741405414_1697079520960262885_n.jpg

@mr72 i conducted a traffic stop on a scooter without license plate in 04 or 05. I was told by dispatch that only DL class C and insurance required on 49cc or less and top speed of 30mph or less. So told him to have a nice day. This was on Ft Hood, TX. He even had a orange flag on a pole like at the dunes.

That was a long time ago. IDK what the law was then, but this isn't the law today.

TITLE IN HAND (located in Houston,Tx)
- OEM 2006 Banshee Special edition (last year made in U.S.A)
- All OEM except a few things
- Great condition still have factory white marks over it(some shown in last pictures)
- air-box
- Zero issues.
- Pm for videos riding/ cold starts.
- 11,000 obo
- Have a great day and God bless.View attachment 303435View attachment 303436
Remember watching the start of a quad race at Rio. Gate dropped, everyone launched, and there was a layer of dust from the ground up to around 4 feet. I saw quad flipping, body, quad, body; flipping together and I lost count of the number of flips/tumbles of the two. It was a Banshee that had a destroyed rear subframe and rider with a severely broke leg. Never rode one, but has to be a handful.

Remember watching the start of a quad race at Rio. Gate dropped, everyone launched, and there was a layer of dust from the ground up to around 4 feet. I saw quad flipping, body, quad, body; flipping together and I lost count of the number of flips/tumbles of the two. It was a Banshee that had a destroyed rear subframe and rider with a severely broke leg. Never rode one, but has to be a handful.
Had 2, biggest thing was traction. Lot of power and old school suspension. Modern quads a lot nicer. My son's Raptor would school it. Of course a 600 or something.

Not required on what? a motor vehicle in Texas?

You really should be familiar with the law.

TL,DR: a "moped" is a two wheel motor vehicle with a saddle and 50cc or less and less than 5 hp that cannot exceed 30mph within one mile. The 49cc Vino in the ad is such a vehicle, and it requires a title, license plate, and a class C driver's license along with insurance to operate in Texas. A "Motor-assisted scooter" is a stand-on two wheel thing with <40cc and can be operated by human power alone, this is like those "Bird" and "Lime" type "scooters". No license plate or license requirement, can only be operated on roads 35mph speed limit or less and must basically follow bicycle laws. >50cc "scooter" (like my Vino 125) is a motorcycle by code, has ordinary motorcycle requirements in TX (class CM license, unrestricted road use, etc.).
Yep, this was a bill in 2019 that clarified all these definitions (source - helped draft the bill)

Don't remember/they didn't usually tell me why :)
The bill analysis from house research is as follows:
"It has been noted that recent advances in electric vehicle technology have made it feasible to
replace traditional carbon-emitting, engine-powered mopeds with zero-emission battery-powered
mopeds. Furthermore, there have been calls to eliminate certain specialized licensing
requirements beyond a traditional driver's license for a person wishing to operate a moped in
Texas. H.B. 3171 seeks to address these issues by revising the classification of certain mopeds
and related licensing requirements."

The bill analysis from house research is as follows:
"It has been noted that recent advances in electric vehicle technology have made it feasible to
replace traditional carbon-emitting, engine-powered mopeds with zero-emission battery-powered
mopeds. Furthermore, there have been calls to eliminate certain specialized licensing
requirements beyond a traditional driver's license for a person wishing to operate a moped in
Texas. H.B. 3171 seeks to address these issues by revising the classification of certain mopeds
and related licensing requirements."
So, here's my take. They passed a bill that wasn't wanted/needed to generate taxes from licensing, give law enforcement yet even more power and have more intrusion from government. Then people started bitching and they realized the tax base was so miniscule it wasn't worth fighting about and once repealed they would look like heros for something that no one in the public wanted in the first place.

Just my .02 of course.

If I had the funds I'd be visiting this guy, 2 stroke 360=street legal!

Back