• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Couple of folks on here this applies to!

Creative parking is my motto, I have five, four that I rotate riding, and one project that will be put on a roll around stand as I get the wheels off of it. Wheels will be first, then forks, then engine, then frame, and paint then back together. Sounds easy, but I expect it to take till March if all goes well.

Road bike 2015 vstrom 1000 bought new
Commuter/errand/in town bike 2014 CB500X
Gravel roads/dirt duty 2015 XT250
Scooter 2013 PCX150 bought new for wife

The CB gets ridden just about every day. The Strom about once a week, sometimes twice. It’s the only bike I have with a toll tag, so there‘s some in town riding. The little XT has 10/90 DOT knobies on it, and it’s not really set up to do too much fast pavement, but I do run it around the neighborhood every few weeks just to keep everything working. I occasionally start it up for a quick run to the store if I’m able to fit my purchase into my HF Pelican clone top box. About once every 4-6 weeks I’ll take it out to the farm in Lavaca county and run the single lane and gravel roads. Wife has two back surgeries, and hasn‘t ridden her scooter in a few years. I suggested selling it but she doesn’t want to, so once every few weeks I do the obligatory ride around the neighborhood just for the sake of riding it and getting it up to operating temp for a while. The insurance, registration and inspection total only about $100 or less a year so that cost is negligible. What I don’t like is the maintenance that I do on a bike that is only ridden to keep it in operating condition for someone who can no longer ride it. Last year it was a replacement battery. The OEM was getting week, but it did last a good while, so I sprung for another Yuasa. I don’t think the bike has 3k miles on it yet but I’m gonna need tires on it now due to age, so I guess I’ll see what wifey says when its time to open the check book for those. I’m on the annual oil change schedule, and last change was only 300 odd miles over the course of the year if I recall. Sorry, tangent over. I’ve got 4 bikes, and all but one have a purpose.

Creative parking is my motto, I have five, four that I rotate riding, and one project that will be put on a roll around stand as I get the wheels off of it. Wheels will be first, then forks, then engine, then frame, and paint then back together. Sounds easy, but I expect it to take till March if all goes well.
I had the same plan, March three years ago. Sigh. :(

When my son Chad (Magicman) was living at home and running his one man motorcycle repair shop (at a storage unit) folks would bring a broken MC to him and get a quote to fix it. He was half what the dealer wanted and they still did not have the money so he would offer them $100 for it and they sold them to him. So I counted bikes in my garage and on my back patio added these to the ones he had in his shop that he owned and came up with 23. I told him I was not Sanford and Son and to start fixing them and selling them as I was tired of them and I needed the space.

When my son Chad (Magicman) was living at home and running his one man motorcycle repair shop (at a storage unit) folks would bring a broken MC to him and get a quote to fix it. He was half what the dealer wanted and they still did not have the money so he would offer them $100 for it and they sold them to him. So I counted bikes in my garage and on my back patio added these to the ones he had in his shop that he owned and came up with 23. I told him I was not Sanford and Son and to start fixing them and selling them as I was tired of them and I needed the space.
Assuming he made some money on them? 23 bikes though? Just, wow that’s a lot of bikes

It's against my personality type and motivation to buy and sell stuff of any kind. I'm a creative, at my core. I prefer to build rather than buy almost everything I care about owning, so I am far more likely to acquire a project and then invest my time and creative energy into it in order to make something that's uniquely mine. As a result, those things tend to be far more valuable to me than they would be to anyone else. If I had owned 200+ motorcycles, I'd still own 200+ motorcycles!

I am the same way with guitars... I have given away a few guitars over the past 30 years and I've sold only two. I wish I had one of the ones I sold back. Guitars are easier to store than motorcycles. And they don't degrade if you don't use them quite like motorcycles do. So I don't mind having a few dozen hanging on the walls that I might not play for years at a time. But my garage is home to my motorcycles, so I have to be particular about what goes there, and I have a serious limit in time I can spend riding and reconditioning them.

Yea, I'm not too great about letting go. I have sold two bikes over the years but that was due to bad timing and big bills. I am not sure I would sell another if I can help it. Most of my bikes are bought as projects and have a lot of sweat equity and good memories.

Well, that's one advantage of only buying cheap stuff... when big bills come along, selling them won't make a dent! So you might as well keep them.
Absolutely, most of my bikes were under $1000 so it is a small drop in the bucket considering. Same theory applies to my gun collection.

Really big garages are real handy .
Having a Bigger shop is like having more work benches.
The more space you have the more space you will junk up. It seems the top of my table saw sees more work than my work bench because i cant find the top of the work bench.
That being said the climate controlled 30x30 with 16x30 wings on either side is really nice. It needs at least one more bike in it.

I have a 2018 R12Gs, a 2018 WR250R, a 2016 S1000XR and this followed me home yesterday.
4939A442-775A-4320-AB68-1D9B8B4A1811.jpeg

The Wr250r is going to go up in the market place after the holiday though as I usually just keep 3.

Having a Bigger shop is like having more work benches.
The more space you have the more space you will junk up. It seems the top of my table saw sees more work than my work bench because i cant find the top of the work bench.
That being said the climate controlled 30x30 with 16x30 wings on either side is really nice. It needs at least one more bike in it.
"If you build it they will come"

I need more space before I can get more bikes. A 2 car garage that the wife has to park her car in, my Goldwing, plus a large workbench and all the other "garage stuff" fills mine up.
I would like a 2nd more around town bike (the Goldwing is not the nimblest thing around town and on my 3 mile trip to work).
Actually working on a 2nd bike now, partially for me, partially for my daughter to learn on.
I am rearranging the garage next weekend to get space for it. I really need a storage building in my back yard and I would be fine, I had 2 bikes for about 2 weeks after I bought my new one and had not sold my old one.

FE-Rex, I didn't sleep very well last night thinking of your malady. If you send me gas money and food money I will come over and take your K1300S off your hands. I always want to help out.
My health insurance provider requires me to own this bike. I’m getting older and heavier. They figure if I take this bike out on a regular basis, the increased heart rate is good a aerobic work-out. In addition, any time I wring it out in second, the insurance company considers it the equivalent of a low-budget cardiac stress test

I too follow the n+1 mantra.

Until recently I was at 13 bikes, only two of which were street legal. When my Sprint was totaled (down to 12), my wife decided to sell her Ninja 400 since I wasn't planning on getting another street bike (down to 11) right now. Then a friend listed a TTR-90 for only 750 and couldn't pass that up (back to 12)

The current stable:

Mine:
2007 SV650 - Primary race bike with engine work
2006 SV650 - SS class race bike
2006 SV650 - track bike I built for my son***
2005 SV650 - slightly upgraded parts, replacing the son's track bike
2008 GSXR600 - track coaching bike (Sport Rider Coaching)
2014 Ninja 300 - ULWT class race bike
2015 Motrac MX125 - TMGP endurance bike, 'A' bike (Grom clone)***

Hers:
2015 Ninja 300 - track bike
2015 Motrac MX125 - TMGP endurance bike, 'B' bike***

Others
TTR-90
TTR-110
KLX-110

Getting ready to sell the bikes with ***, so that will put us in the single digits for the first time in 2 years. And yes, I know I have an SV problem. ;)

Back