• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The DR/DRZ Thread

So, why not use a file and simplify your life, then a little spray paint, Bob's your uncle and cost is much lower.
I thought about that but didn't want to mess up the nice powder coating. Then it'd be ugly. Yes, it's an ugly DRZ but let's not dip to KLR status here. :D

You know you could also have slipped a piece of plastic or treated plywood in there. I can keep at this for a while. I am excited about getting the DR-Z back. Maybe I should go big bore and cams with an FCR-MX? Probably not, I did the 3X3 and rewired it, should be good enough. It does have a full RS-3 on it. Hopefully I will get her this week...

P.S. I may lower mine, haven't ever made my own spacers and rebuilt a rear shock. Got lots of time and figure I could pick one up off of ebay and go at it. The fork is easy. Then we could have a proper height bike for us short fellas. We will see.

Nice, low mileage 400s are everywhere. Trying to find a nice used 650 is a nightmare.

Reactions: Vec
Odd problem on lowering the DRZ: I can get one side of the links on, throw the two bolts through, but can't get the other side on. Seems to be off about 1/8" and there is nothing to budge. I'll try to post pics in the morning but I think something is bent. Worried that now that it is off I might not even get the original links back on.

Maybe there are no nice 650s. Ian you really need to control your bias. Happy New Year

I love my bias. I even have the T-shirt! I don't even own a compete one anymore...

Attachments

• PXL_20220115_033622830.jpg
    PXL_20220115_033622830.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 112
Odd problem on lowering the DRZ: I can get one side of the links on, throw the two bolts through, but can't get the other side on. Seems to be off about 1/8" and there is nothing to budge. I'll try to post pics in the morning but I think something is bent. Worried that now that it is off I might not even get the original links back on.
Mike - with the rear tire off the ground move it up and down until the bolts line up. It is much easier if you have two people.

Mike - with the rear tire off the ground move it up and down until the bolts line up. It is much easier if you have two people.
Thanks sandman. I've had help and the bolts are through the assembly doing that. I'm going to try again cause I see a gap where the bolts go in and it should be flush.

It's too cold in my garage today to work on it. I know January is national motorcycle repair month but not in my garage.

The lowering link is on. I took it all off and started again from scratch. Worked, don't know what was different. Ready for a decent day to test it out. Supposed to be 2" lower.

The lowering link is on. I took it all off and started again from scratch. Worked, don't know what was different. Ready for a decent day to test it out. Supposed to be 2" lower.
If it's a weekend or afternoon, gimme a ping. I need motivation to get out on mine.

I bought a not running 2003 KLX400R for a project and it turns out I think the main bearing on the crankshaft is bad. There is a lot of up and down play on the connecting rod. Does anyone in the Houston area happen to have a flywheel puller and case splitter for the DRZ I could purchase, rent, or borrow if I decide to replace the crank?

Last edited:
Jasen, after he gets this one all farkled out, I'll buy it at a super bargain. Fingers crossed.

Back