• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Wyoming BDR

Remote is an understatement. I stopped to chow down on a granola bar at one point and could hear my heart beating. Thought I might have heard the sun burning away overhead. A whole lot of quiet. Wildlife everywhere to the point of slowing the heck down to not run over something. Should be a really good ride.

Looks awesome. After crossing Wyoming several times during July and August i wonder if there is a time of year when you dont have to deal with 35-40 mph winds. They were brutal in my truck pulling a trailer.

Looks awesome. After crossing Wyoming several times during July and August i wonder if there is a time of year when you dont have to deal with 35-40 mph winds. They were brutal in my truck pulling a trailer.
All of the central plains states are known for their vastness and wind. When you enter the mountainous areas of those states you at least get a reprieve from the constant blast. I grew up on a ranch on the plains of western South Dakota and I can remember the vivid difference between home and the Black Hills. Traveling east or west you typically have a cross wind so go north or south and it’s bearable. If I had never left I wouldn’t know the difference.

The little bit that I rhode in WY on the CDR trip was pretty awesome.

Sterling did an awesome job on that video.

I would like to do either the Idaho or Wyoming BDR as my next big off road trip. —Likely summer of 2023 due to vacation constraints in summer of 22 due to a wedding trip.

Thanks, John

The little bit that I rhode in WY on the CDR trip was pretty awesome.

Sterling did an awesome job on that video.

I would like to do either the Idaho or Wyoming BDR as my next big off road trip. —Likely summer of 2023 due to vacation constraints in summer of 22 due to a wedding trip.
Well it only takes a google search. Summer months are the least windy.
I understand wind having lived in South Dakota and now in Texas. But 30 mph winds are just brutal and the gusts make for a sore neck in a big hurry if you are quartering the wind.
Riding those dirt roads in a group a bit of cross wind is a good thing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220115-085518_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220115-085518_Google.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 95
I'm in! Although I appreciate BMW underwriting the video this has Husqvarna written all over it?

I might be in the neighborhood up there depending on when you make this ride. Look forward to riding along if possible.

Is the entire BDR going to be published next month? Is the entire route going to be contiguous?

Remote is an understatement. I stopped to chow down on a granola bar at one point and could hear my heart beating. Thought I might have heard the sun burning away overhead. A whole lot of quiet. Wildlife everywhere to the point of slowing the heck down to not run over something. Should be a really good ride.
I was on my FJR on 287 and got a bit of anxiety at the remoteness and how few other vehicles I was seeing. I can't imagine being off a main paved road how it would feel. Probably terrifying and amazing all at the same time.

Crossing the Bosyen Reservoir coming into Shoshoni I experienced the worst gusting wind I've ever ridden in. It was downright terrifying. I learned why they call it Wind River Canyon, though the wind in the canyon was almost nonexistent, especially compared to just outside the canyon. Coming back through that area several days later it was a very nice ride.

I experienced the worst wind of my life in Wyoming, too - between Rock Springs and the Flaming Gorge. I tried going faster, slower, leaning over and counter-steering, tucking, etc. Nothing helped. One lane (each direction) highway, with way too much oncoming truck traffic. I was pushed clear across that lane multiple times - I ended up riding the shoulder at about 25 mph for a stretch - just to not end up flattened by oncoming trucks - that were also being pushed around like crazy.

I experienced the worst wind of my life in Wyoming, too - between Rock Springs and the Flaming Gorge. I tried going faster, slower, leaning over and counter-steering, tucking, etc. Nothing helped. One lane (each direction) highway, with way too much oncoming truck traffic. I was pushed clear across that lane multiple times - I ended up riding the shoulder at about 25 mph for a stretch - just to not end up flattened by oncoming trucks - that were also being pushed around like crazy.
Sometimes the ditch is best and not just for windy conditions. I rode a long section in the ditch somewhere in west Texas a couple of years ago. The fresh and ongoing chip and seal was not to my liking.

The city of Houston has four times as many people as the entire state of Wyoming.

Back