• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sam Houston NF

I haven't been in a several years, but plan to get in a ride soon on my CRF250L soon. Your gear & speed average sounds about right. To push it hard enough to do much shifting probably takes a different riding approach, good suspension & being in decent shape. However, catch it after a light rain, being in shape, stirring the gear box on a good running, 210 lb. 125/150 would be a blast.

Heading out in the morning for my annual 2 day tour of the Sam! Bringing a new rider along hope to see some of you out there.

Trails opened today, all of West open, Zebra, Northwest, Fern, and maybe YCC on Eastside.
Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 6.12.43 PM.png
Notice the X's on Boycott, Sandy, and Lake Loop.

Are there any trails in SHNF suitable for an old motocrosser now riding an Africa Twin with fresh 50/50s, a knee replacement, and an apparent lack of mature judgment?

Forest service roads would be fun. The trails... that's a pretty big motorcycle but if you are up for semi technical stuff then go for it. Doggone hot out in those woods.

Well, I got my sticker, so I'm legal. What's the least technical trail?

Well, I got my sticker, so I'm legal. What's the least technical trail?
Nothing really technical. That said some are definitely more mud prone. Also understand from others Woodpecker and Big Loop still have trees down. I take my 850 BMW out quite often. It's slow going for me, especially if dry and sandy. I typically bounce around on the roads and hit the trails I'm comfortable with. The end of Zebra before it hits Fern is a no. Very big mud holes. Try the string and balloon loop. Counter clockwise. On the south 1 really bad mudhole. Look to the left, there is a go round.

Last edited:
The report is all trees cleared on string and balloon trails. Take your time, have fun.

Would love to ride with you Rob but I just can't take this heat anymore. And getting up at 4:30 to get there early enough is a no no for me. CO only for me until Oct.

Are non plated bikes welcome as long as you have the forest sticker? I have an old XR200 and a horrible sense of direction in the woods so it would be great to follow one of you regulars when you have other novices in tow. My only woods experience is a few laps of Sterling Ranch at a tourist pace, otherwise just been cruising around the MX tracks.

Are non plated bikes welcome as long as you have the forest sticker? I have an old XR200 and a horrible sense of direction in the woods so it would be great to follow one of you regulars when you have other novices in tow. My only woods experience is a few laps of Sterling Ranch at a tourist pace, otherwise just been cruising around the MX tracks.
Yes, non plated fine. Just stay off the roads.

Would love to ride with you Rob but I just can't take this heat anymore. And getting up at 4:30 to get there early enough is a no no for me. CO only for me until Oct.
Hear you, I feel bad enough to hang it up. Trying to hang in there.

If it dips below 90 I can make it for what you describe with some notice. Weekdays only though.

If ya'll do weekdays lemme know. I've been pondering taking the trailer to Kelly's and staying a few days before it gets crazy hot.

Are there any trails in SHNF suitable for an old motocrosser now riding an Africa Twin with fresh 50/50s, a knee replacement, and an apparent lack of mature judgment?

I ride my big bike on the trails all the time. A buddy that I used to ride with had an Africa Twin and had zero issues on the trails. Like woodsguy said, just take it easy and I would also recommend string and balloon. They are the least challenging of the trails and all downed trees being cleared is a plus. Especially if riding alone. And go around the mud holes.

. I've been pondering taking the trailer to Kelly's and staying a few days before it gets crazy hot.
We rode this morning starting at 8:00 and the heat was already taking its toll by 10:00…

Last edited:
Faceslapper work day Wednesday 5-18-22
208 Trailhead 0900
If you are available, we have a Faceslapper work day scheduled for this Wednesday 5-18-22 starting from the 208 Trailhead going on String and North Balloon possible South Balloon If time permits

I may try to head over to the West side trails tomorrow morning. If anyone else is planning on riding let me know.

Back