• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Which boots? Daytona?

mlinkibikr

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Little
The day finally came that my BMW ProTour boots bit the dust. Worn out, sole flapping, velcro weakening, wore out. These replaced my first pair of legit m/c boots, a fine pair of Daytonas I picked up overseas decades ago. I went to BMW Motorrad's site and found that they no longer offer the BMW ProTour boots - very disappointed in that. What I like about them were the comfort (riding and walking), the water proofing (Goretex) and and that they looked really sharp. I never crash tested them, so no info on safety. BMW does offer other boots, but I can't find an obvious direct replacement.

What boots then? I am 90% road riding on my GS, 10% dirt/gravel. I feel that a street oriented bike is still the way to go as I realistically don't see myself bashing single track at all. I want a year 'round boot, waterproof of course, comfortable for riding and walking, and something made with highest quality. For a a pair of boots that will last 10 or more years I have no price limit.

I searched Revzilla, Bates (they don't make m/c boots anymore) and Aerostich, and after looking at the options I'm drawn to the Daytona Road Star GTX boots. My original pair (basic leather, pre-goretex, 1983 vintage) were outstanding, and I got a full 20 years of life out of them.

A feature I liked with the BMW boots that the Road Star also has are dual closures on the inside and outside of the boot. Tons of adjustability for varying calf sizes, and the ability to wear blousy textile pants over the boot or alternatively tuck in leather touring pants inside the leather but outside of the vortex insert.

Daytona also makes the M Star which seems to be a little taller in the heel and toe sections to accommodate a 2.5cm heel "lift" for riders that need a bit more stability at stops. I don't need that personally, but I like how the M Star has leather flaps that cover the side zippers. In the end though my concern over the hight of the toe box and impact on shifting outweighed the benefits of the extra leather flaps. I may be overthinking that, particularly since my first pair of riding boots were actually some big suede waffle stomper hiking boots I picked up at the Army Navy surplus store back in '82 before good gear was available in the US.

Revzilla has a liberal returns policy and I have a small credit on my account I could use. I'll keep you posted but I'll probably order those Road Stars pretty soon. If so I'll do a full review.

Dave.

I have a pair in us size 12 currently for sale. Will ship from Marfa you pay ship cost. Asking 150 plus ship

My Daytona boots are warm / dry and make getting to the ground a bit easier on the big 1200 tiger . They are to warm for me above 75 f .
If I'm doing multiple climates crossing the country I pack a more summer based smaller boot that doubles as walking around shoes .

My Daytona boots are warm / dry and make getting to the ground a bit easier on the big 1200 tiger . They are to warm for me above 75 f .
If I'm doing multiple climates crossing the country I pack a more summer based smaller boot that doubles as walking around shoes .
Good point!

OK, just pulled the trigger on the Daytona Road Star. Revzilla helped me make the decision with a free promotional $50 gift card, so I'll have that in my pocket for my next pair of Held gloves. I'll post up later when I get them.

I failed to mention in the above post that the reason I went with the Road Star vs the M Star ... I had more concern about the additional sole thickness and its possible impact on upshifting with the M Star than I was about the exposed zippers on the Road Star. But given that the boot is essentially a goretex bootie enveloped in a leather / aramid shell, any possible water intrusion through the zipper should have minimal effect.

So the box arrived and I tore into it. The smell of leather was the first great impression I had when I pulled the top off. The second was the buttery smooth leather and the overall impression of quality I saw when I pulled the boots out. Slipped the boots on, and they felt like good leather boots should, snug but not confining, no pinch points, and very comfortable to walk in.

After the initial ride I am exquisitely pleased at the comfort and support these boots provide. No issue with control surfaces at all, flex was great, super grip on rubber surfaced foot pegs and road surface at traffic lights alike.

Bryan L noted that on hot days these will run warm, and I don't doubt that. There is no direct venting. My feet run cold if anything, so we'll see what the summer brings.

Revzilla has an excellent full review on their website and I encourage anyone interested in these boots to check that out as their review is quite accurate. They are pricey, but less than a new helmet and arguably just as important a piece of protective kit, so I feel that the price and the quality matches well.

Here are a few pics. Everybody likes pics.
IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg
IMG_0865.jpg
IMG_0866.jpg

A bit off topic, but isn't Revzilla basically Cycle Gear with no brick and mortar stores? They seem to have the same store brands.

Lee

A bit off topic, but isn't Revzilla basically Cycle Gear with no brick and mortar stores? They seem to have the same store brands.

Lee
Yes - on the shipping box Revzilla, Cycle Gear, J&P Cycles, and Rever logos were all prominent and grouped under the COMOTO label. COMOTO promotes itself as America's number one power sports aftermarket retailer. It surprised me that Rever was no longer independent.

Back