• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My first overnighter (not dial up friendly)

mjacks

Reaction score
Well this is my first real trip report. This last weekend I managed to finally get away from Houston on the bike for a overnighter to the hill country. I am not much for typing or talking a whole lot for that matter so this will be a picture heavy report. This will be day 1 and I am still working on the rest of the pictures. I had planned on a 4 day trip of about 1500 miles but it turned into basically a 2 day trip and 1 day of freezing riding after the weather forecast took a big turn for the worse. I didn't take any pictures on Saturday because of the rain and temps.

I took off on Thursday morning after my workout and got on the road around 7:30.

Here is my approximate route but I took a few unplanned detours for about 400 miles ending in Kerrville.
mapimage.jpg

Here is the first pic from the road.
goodmorningsmall.jpg

Here a ZZ Top song played in my head for some reason.
LaGrangesmall.jpg

A weird self portait at the first bathroom break...
bathroomportaitsmall.jpg

A nice rest stop on 71...
reststop3small.jpg

reststop4small.jpg

71reststop1small.jpg

Bike set up....
bike1small.jpg

I kept hearing chainsaws for some reason...
71reststop2small.jpg

I thought this was a bit cool at the time.... I would have loved to have it on Saturday when the temp never topped 40.
dashtempsmall.jpg

Made a run through Buescher and Bastrop State Parks...

pr1a1small.jpg

pr1a2small.jpg

pr1c1small.jpg

pr1c2small.jpg

pr1c5small.jpg

pr1c3small.jpg

pr1c4small.jpg

pr1c6small.jpg

pr1c7small.jpg

pr1c8small.jpg

pr1c9small.jpg

pr1c10small.jpg

pr1c11small.jpg

pr1c12small.jpg

pr1c13small.jpg

pr1c14small.jpg

pr1c15small.jpg

pr1c16small.jpg

Bastrop lake looked a lot higher since the last time I saw it..
bastroplake1small.jpg

Couldn't walk around the lake though because of this....
houstontoadsmall.jpg

Lunch time....
citymarketsmall.jpg

After lunch I rode by a ranch I worked on during college cutting down huge dead oak trees.

I had to do some dual sporting to get there....
dualsportingsmall.jpg

dualsporting2small.jpg

Emu...
emu1small.jpg

San Marcos river which looks about 6'-10' high and really muddy..
sanmarcosriver2small.jpg

sanmarcosriver1small.jpg

After the ranch there is a little road called Cottonwood Creek which is very nice....
cottonwood1small.jpg

cottonwood2small.jpg

cottonwood3small.jpg

cottonwood4small.jpg

cottonwood5small.jpg

cottonwood6small.jpg

cottonwood7small.jpg

cottonwood8small.jpg

Pictures started to get scarce after I crossed over 35 since the roads were getting more entertaining.

1501small.jpg

1591small.jpg

3062small.jpg

3061small.jpg

Stopped at Canyon Lake for a few minutes....
canyonlake1small.jpg

canyonlakedamnsmall.jpg

Finally made it to Kerrville....
kerrvillesmall.jpg

Random pic...
selfportaitsmall.jpg

Saw lots of this....
signsmall.jpg

That is it for now. I will have to work of Friday's pictures later after my eyes uncross.

Last edited:
Nice area to ride in. I love the roads in and around Kerrville.

Cottonwood Creek Rd---- :clap:

At least you remembered to zip up. :lol2: :rofl: :mrgreen:

A weird self portait at the first bathroom break...
bathroomportaitsmall.jpg

some nice pics man.. looks like a good trip, other than that colddddd front that blew in.... what make helmet you wearing in that picture.. I dont recognize it..

Great Report:clap: Thanks for taking us along.
Sweet bike by the way!:rider:

Day 2

On Friday I got up early and took off from Kerrville for a day of riding around the hill country with out much of a plan. I managed to hit 337,335,336, SH 16, 1050, 470, 39, and a few other roads that I can't think of at the moment. The section of SH 16 between Kerrville and Medina was amazing and it really served as an introduction for what I was info for the rest of the day. 337 was a monster road with just about every you could ask for while 335 running along the river was nice as well. The cattle guards on 336 were a pain and it made the road my least favorite of the 3. I loved 39 and how it ran along the Guadelupe river crossing back and forth at water level bridges.

I started the day taking plenty of pictures but began to realize that I couldn't capture the surroundings in a way that I was seeing it so I put away the camera for the most part and concentrated on enjoying the ride for myself.

Here are some more pics...

First pictures of the day...
goodmorningsmall.jpg

goodmorning2small.jpg

sh16small.jpg

The beginning of the trinity..
3371small.jpg

3372small.jpg

3374small.jpg

3375small.jpg

3376small.jpg

3373small.jpg

33711small.jpg

33712small.jpg

33714small.jpg

33718small.jpg

33719small.jpg

33715web.jpg

33720small.jpg

If I remember correctly I believe this is 470..

4703small.jpg

4704small.jpg

4705small.jpg

4706small.jpg

4707small.jpg

4708small.jpg

4709small.jpg

Lunch time! This place is one of the reasons I came to the hill country and I wasn't let down. Had the cabrito burger and fries. :eat:

MacandErniessmall.jpg

Few river pictures. I can't remember which river this is but I think it was on 335.

river4small.jpg

river5small.jpg

river6small.jpg

river3small.jpg

Here is my super dangerous water crossing. I was afraid I would be swept away but I managed to fight my way across.

watercrossing1small.jpg

watercrossing2small.jpg

Well that is the end of the pictures. The trip was originally planned for 4 days with Saturday including a long loop up to Austin but the weather had other ideas. Friday night after seeing the forecast shaping up I made the executive decision to bite the bullet and head back to Houston and continue this trip later on when it would be enjoyable. I didn't take any pictures on Saturday due to the rain and cold conditions but it was the most miserable 240 miles I have ever ridden.

Hopefully the trip will be resumed some time in the future. Hope you all enjoyed the pictures. ;-)

Great Report:clap: Thanks for taking us along.
Sweet bike by the way!:rider:

Thanks!

A quick equipment review:

'07 BMW R1200RT - The bike was flawless. Comfy, runs as fast and corners as well as I could ever need it to, the heated grips and seat saved me on Saturday, the fuel range (300+ miles) is great. I can't think of any negatives about the bike from this trip. I have bounced around quite a bit between bikes but I feel like I have found a good fit. (watch me trade it in a couple months :doh: )

BMW Santiago boots - I haven't really found a boot that I like until now. I have some Alpinestars that are nice but they bothered me after 200+ miles and I have used my Redwing boots which are comfy but are not really designed for protection. I went out on a limb and got the Santiago boots about a week and a half ago for the trip and it paid off big time. The boots are perfect for me. No discomfort at all after I wore them to the office 1 day to break in. The only downside is that they are a bit $$$.

Tourmaster rain gear (I believe it is the Elite series) 2 piece. Worked great, I was dry and it worked well to block wind and keep me somewhat warm in 35 degree weather.

so did you ride or just take pics? ;)

Looks like a fun run, I need to hit that area up sometime.

so did you ride or just take pics? ;)

Looks like a fun run, I need to hit that area up sometime.

Most of the time I was riding while I took the picture. I hate stopping so I made an honest effort to take as many pictures as possible per family and friends request.

those cattle guards SUCK!!! they knocked my headlight loose, next time ill have to slow down to below 80 before I hit em...

Nice write up Jack, I like you photos, I never seem to take
time for pics, need to do that more often.

Next time you come through give me a shout.

by the way when did the FJR get the boot

by the way when did the FJR get the boot

:lol2: It fell victom to my musical bikes game last year. I went through a few bikes to find the one that fits me the best. I made the mistake of test riding the RT and found it was the one for me. I thought the FJR was comfortable for me until I rode the RT (and GT). My knee and back issue become a non-issue on the RT and I didn't think that was going to be possible with a bike that at some performance potential. I miss the extra thrust of the FJR but that is probably a good thing with my lead wrist.

Last edited:
Back