• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Mountain Recon DS Ride, Monterrey, Mexico, Oct 11-14, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Recon Riders, it is encouraging that he has found a place to secure our bikes each evening.

Hmmm....I wonder about those of us who are also bringing their trucks? I would even go so far as to pay a small fee to guarantee I still had it on Sunday morning.:wary:

Hmmm....I wonder about those of us who are also bringing their trucks? I would even go so far as to pay a small fee to guarantee I still had it on Sunday morning.:wary:
I can't recall exactly, but I'm thinking there is at least one secured, pay parking lot in Galeana, maybe one-two blocks away from the hotel. Plus, there is a second hotel on the square some 25 yards from the Jardin, and they have a secure lot behind their hotel (the Jardin doesn't.) Also, the cop shop is on the square too and there is a significant, benign presence of police guys in the park/square at night, strolling around in groups of 3-4. I've always just parked in front of the hotel, bike and/or car, with no problems but we are gonna come near to taking over this corner of the town, so seems prudent to get the multiple vehicles off the street. There's usually a shortage of parking spots in front of the hotel anyway.

Would like to add another dirt rider to this party......New to Dual Sporting, but not by any means new to "Dirt"......Will be riding a KLR650.
Passport and Pesos ready n willing
........Doc

Welcome, Doc!

A friend of mine designed a logo for our Mexico trip. If you would like a t-shirt or sticker you can order one from cafepress. Here's the link to cafepress

Here's the logo:
RECON.jpg

A modified Texas Adventure logo for this trip:
reconback.jpg

Last edited:
I would love to join in if there is still space available...It has been years since I rode this area. Would be a fun time. Maybe stay a day or two and head to Real de Catorce, if there are any takers, I would enjoy the company.

Wow...after searching upcoming rides on this and ADVrider...I posted the following:I just came across this thread as well as the Mountain Recon DS ride around Monterrey. That ride ends on the 14th,,,,precisely enough time to make it (On time, late, early...ya know Mexico kinda makin' it)...So, I am shooting for the Monterrey ride, then Jet over the afternoon of the 14th and arrive the eve of the 15th in Creel. This sounds like a good fill of the best that Northern Mexico has to offer....I have ridden both areas several times, however my last few Mex adventures have taken me way South. I was going to take the Honda 650, but with the road travel, I will opt for the BMW adventure. Anyone else that would like to get together, I will be trailering from South Florida to Central Texas (Austin, San Antonio area) and would enjoy the company....PM for a plan, or post here....

Thank you so much...Is there a limit to the number of riders? I have 3-6 more that are interested....

No limit to # of riders. Galeana has 3 hotels which should accomodate as many riders as realistically will attend.

Austin & Central Texas Riders,

My buddy Dave needs to check the valves on his KLR before the Mountain Recon trip, so we've planned a tech day on Saturday morning, Sept 8th at my place to get this done. If anyone else would like to attend to do a little work on your bike, please feel free to do so. I've got a long, paved driveway that has lots of work space (as long as the weather cooperates). Let me know if you want to attend and I'll PM you my address.

I wonder what effect hurricane Dean would have on the Galeana area if it makes landfall in that area? Is Creel the backup plan?

Steve

I'm wondering the same thing. Heavy rains can really screw things up down there, with wash outs, landslides, etc. Keep an eye on it at Mexico weather. On that weather map, we'll be going to that little narrow "waist line" part of the state of Nuevo Leon about halfway between the "c" in the label "Mexico" and Laredo on the border.

Another weather map

Typically it rains alot in September anyway, and it can mess with the roads. Just one of the realities of traveling in October. I'll keep in touch with my contacts down there.

Which brings me to another point. One of my contacts was wantin' photos and prices for cheap used pickup trucks. I told him they were plentiful and cheap in Texas, but haven't done the leg work yet to come up with examples. Anyone wanna help?

An updated version of BiciMaps Mexico Atlas GPS just came out that auto routes!

I purchased Bici Maps Mexico Atlas for my Garmin GPS earlier this year so I could use it during a recent Mexico ride. It was a decent mapset and certainly helped me navigate during my ride, but one thing it was noticeably lacking was the ability to autoroute.

An updated version was recently released that now autoroutes. Here are the other features that have been added:

Highways updated to 2007

Street detail for 44 cities in the country including Mexico City, Guadalajara, Monterrey, Cuernavaca, Puebla, Queretaro, Pacuca, Acapulco, Leon, Oaxaca, Veracruz, Villahermosa, San Luis Potosí, Hermosillo, Chihuahua, among others.

Auto routing and automatic navigation in highways, city streets, unpaved roads and trails throughout the country

More than 280,000 rural locations and towns

Extensive POI data base with over 45,000 geographic reference locations such as beaches, mountains and hills, lakes, rivers, dams and so forth. Also urban points of interest such as hospitals, government buildings, shopping centers and more.

Over 1500 gasoline stations along the highways network

International and state boundaries

Lakes, rivers, dams, national parks, biosphere reserves

Contour lines at 50 meter interval in Baja and 100 interval for the remainder of the country

In short, if you are looking for a Mexico map for your GPS for the upcoming Mountain Recon, the updated Bicimaps seems like it could be the best choice.

Here's the link to the web site: Bici Maps

Richard, much to my dissapointment my crew is out this time. That would be me the two nephews and Texas Oilman. A member of the group has developed an unavoidable family related scheduling conflict on the 12th. Bad timing but like I said, unavoidable.

The ride planning you have done is excellent and my hat is off to you. I expect I will try and do the repeat ride should one take place. (My Happy Trail cases came in yesterday.:( ) I have really been looking forward to the ride and will miss the opportunity to be with y'all. I apologize. Thanks again for all your efforts.

p.s. We'd really like to give it try in January, February if anybody experienced with Mexico is game to be the guide. P.M.'s only , I will not respond on this thread, so we keep Richard's thread clean.

slowoldguy,

Sorry to hear you & crew won't be able to attend. I hope to repeat this event yearly, so maybe you will be able to catch the next one.

The next Mexico event after this that I'm planning is the Coahuila 300 in mid-March 2008. I'll be posting info on it after the Mountain Recon is in the history books.

Hey Richard,

Thinking of adding my name to the list.
Not quite sure how I would get down there, possibly haul the bike to S. Texas and leave the truck, then ride across. I am curious if you have a route already mapped out (no GPS) to get to Galeana from any S. Texas crossing.

If anybody has any room let me know. Or wants to ride with me let me know. I'm up for any suggestion. I am in Montgomery, Tx.

I'll be on a 650L FWIW.

Thanks, Les

Richard,

Looks like Brian is gonna back out, but I'll still be there Thursday early a.m.

2nd Titans request for a crossing recommendation and map scenario. Recon/dirt track mission no problem. Border crossing, bureaucrats and associated chaos... not so good.
We'll be riding down from S.A. on GSs Thurs. so I'd like to minimize the trauma and focus on the good stuff Fri. Sat. Mainly interested in avoiding extended 4 lane slab/toll rds., Laredo hassles and bypassing Monterrey if possible.
Any vets on a similar schedule? Also looking for those going from this to the Creel event the following week.
:rider:

Hey Richard,

Thinking of adding my name to the list.
Not quite sure how I would get down there, possibly haul the bike to S. Texas and leave the truck, then ride across. I am curious if you have a route already mapped out (no GPS) to get to Galeana from any S. Texas crossing.

titan305,

I believe the quickest way to get to Galeana from Montgomery is to go through San Antonio and take I-35 to Laredo. Cross the border into Nuevo Laredo and run the toll road 85D to Monterry. Go around the east side of Monterrey and south to Montemorelos. From Montemorelos ride west and south to Galeana. It's probably the fastest route but the downside is a significant amount of freeway/toll roads. approx. 621 miles from Montgomery to Galeana.

You can map out the route in live search. I like Live Search as a mapping source and it seems to show most of the roads we will be reconing.

If you are open to taking 2 days to get to Galeana (leave Montgomery Wednesday morning, arrive in Galean on Thursday afternoon) with some fun dual sport riding on Thursday, then here is an alternate route. Follow the same route from Montgomery over to near Laredo. Before you reach Laredo, take the cutoff to Columbia, Tx and cross the border there (smaller crossing, probably faster and easier). Take NL1 to the north side of Monterrey and overnight.

On Thursday morning, enter the mountains south of Santa Catarina (Santa Catarina is a suburb of Monterrey, on the west side of Monterrey between Monterrey and Saltillo) and run the mountain roads south all the way to Galeana.

Last edited:
Border crossing, bureaucrats and associated chaos... not so good.

Chuck,

I cover all the border crossing stuff (to the best of my ability) in the ride guide I wrote for this event. You can download the ride guide from this page. Right click on the link to the ride guide and select "save target as" to save it to your hard drive.

Richard,

Looks like Brian is gonna back out, but I'll still be there Thursday early a.m.

Thanks for the update. I'll take Brian off the list. See you in Galeana.

Last edited:
Thanks Richard, I appreciate all the how to's in the ride guide and all the work you're putting into this. I was looking for a little veteran advice like you just posted for Titan.
Stuff like "Before you reach Laredo, take the cutoff to Columbia, Tx and cross the border there (smaller crossing, probably faster and easier). Take NL1 to the north side of Monterrey and overnight" and "On Thursday morning, enter the mountains south of Santa Catarina (Santa Catarina is a suburb of Monterrey, on the west side of Monterrey between Monterrey and Saltillo) and run the mountain roads south all the way to Galeana.
Just some sage advice from folks that have been there. Can't wait to get on the road. Thanks again.

Richard, thanks for the link that is what I was looking for. Still considering different routes as I do want to avoid fwy's but dont want to get too far out while riding alone.
Crossing at Colombia I'm sure is safer and quicker than Laredo.

Still researching a few things. Appreciate all the work you have been doing and advice!
Les

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back