• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S -The Mega Thread

Re: The 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S

Buy the K&N 138 - it's black, has the nut, and is the best filter out there. No need for the tool taking the stock one off as it's heading for the trash anyway.

Mine goes on soon at 4000.

If you don't have the tool you can always gently hammer a screwdriver into the filter and use that as a handle....doing the new one up by hand is tight enough.

A tip I read suggests putting aluminum foil underneath the oil filter to protect from drips onto the pipes. I did this at my last change and it really helped keep things clean...

Oil change - I used an arc pliers from the right side to loosen and the filter came right off. I used the foil also and that helped a lot. But I didn't like spreading the radiator hose so far to get the filter out from the left side. It came out okay but you really have to move that hose over a lot.

I attacked it from the right side in order to avoid the hose. It was tight but workable.

Honestly the whole filter change ordeal is really and after thought on Suzukis part, this could have been avoided. This is by far the worst Suzuki I have ever had to change the oil filter on, almost reminds me of a Honda:giveup:

Honestly the whole filter change ordeal is really and after thought on Suzukis part, this could have been avoided. This is by far the worst Suzuki I have ever had to change the oil filter on, almost reminds me of a Honda:giveup:
I agree but it's oh, so good in the twisties that I'll forgive the inconvenience! :rider:

I agree but it's oh, so good in the twisties that I'll forgive the inconvenience! :rider:

Sounds forgiveable to me too.

Hey Greg,

when I pick mine up, (in a week today but whos counting!) I'm going to fit my cooler guard before riding off.

It fits directly onto the side of the cooler with the original cooler mounting screws, could you tell me what these are? ie what will I need to undo them to mount guard, allen key, 10mm bolt?

Appreciated

Ron

Sounds forgiveable to me too.

Hey Greg,

when I pick mine up, (in a week today but whos counting!) I'm going to fit my cooler guard before riding off.

It fits directly onto the side of the cooler with the original cooler mounting screws, could you tell me what these are? ie what will I need to undo them to mount guard, allen key, 10mm bolt?

Appreciated

Ron

I believe its a 4mm allen at least that is what mine are.

Quick Ride Report:

I installed the following over the week and last weekend:

1) A Spencer Modified front seat
2) Bike Master Daytona Bars
3) Dale Walker's ProGel Grips
4) Dale Walker's Mirror extenders

Well - the seat was an immediate improvement. No more buzzing in the butt due to the Gel-Tec insert and the numbness in the crotch is gone. Very nice workmanship and very quick turn around - got it done in one day. Nice job Spencer for $75.

The Bike Master Bars give the bike a much more solid feel as my hands now make firm contact across the grip, I lean forward just slightly more, and the overall feel, for me, is more sporty and more confident. You need to drill a couple guide pin holes for the switch pods to keep it all aligned, but the install was 1 hour and well worth the $20 from RideNow.com.

The grips remove some vibration and feel great - with or without gloves. There is not much vibration to remove, but the grips do a nice job. Clearly better than the Harris grips and centuries ahead of the stock crap. $10 from Dale.

The mirror extenders are the best. Easy to install and I can now see behind me. You should consider these, or the SW-Motech's, if you have broad shoulders. $50 from Dale.

Now, the only thing left on the wishlist is to get rid of the awful quiet muffler and replacec it with the 17" street pipe slip-on from Dale........soon. I don't need more performance, I simply want better sound. Only issue, $400:doh: .

Later.

Phil

Well for those of you interested in frame sliders I just dropped my bike today. Been riding most of my life off and on and I was sure humbled today. Came down a super steep hill that joined a street with another hill going in the opposite direction. I was turning left at the bottom, which meant turning uphill after a stop down hill. To make a long story short after I came to a stop I felt the bike leaning to the right and my bloody leg was not long enough to plant before the angle was too great and over she went with a crash. Tough job just picking the bike up on that slope. After waiting for several tries she finally fired up and I limped off to a flat spot where I could have a good look. Thank God for the sliders...the signal light was broken, the mirror was flattened and scratched and the brake handle had some slight scratches in the tip. The can was very slightly scratched on the end where the midpipe attaches but they are hardly noticeable...The good news, not a mark on the engine, rad or the fairings. Other than putting a big dent in my pride I got off lightly with probably less than a hundred bucks in parts. So for those of you that were interested in what was protected by the sliders, well there you have it. By the way the slider has a good ding in the plastic insert.

I had the shop give me an estimate for replacing the bits that got damaged (it fell off the stand onto the left side), when it was in for its 1st service.

Magneto Cover and Gasket - £80 Plus VAT = £94
Clutch Lever £37! Plus VAT = £43.50 :eek2:
Both Indicators £28 each Plus VAT = £32.90
Mirror £40 Plus VAT = £47
Bar Ends £20 Plus VAT = £23.50
Plus 1.5 hours labour = £65

If you double the £ it will give you a rough dollar cost.

A crash bar or slider would probably have saved the Magneto cover but I think all the other bits would still have got done.

I was already thinking of getting the lower fairings (£300) so might get those now as wouldn’t have to worry about the Magneto cover as it would be out of site, and I can pick up a pair of pattern levers for £20. Indicators and Bar End don’t really need doing.

Thanks for that. My front signal light assembly is $49.00. The mirror is around $60.00 (thought I could use the ones advertised on Ebay but even though they say they are for the 1250 they are different) No damage to bar ends and the brake lever is fine, just a little scratch on the ball part. I'll do the fixing myself as it will remind me what not to do next time, LOL. By the way I ordered the parts from Alpha Sports Center, any of you guys know a cheaper source for new parts??

Sailor......sorry about the bike, and for your bloody mess as well.

Although morbid in some respects, any chance of some photos? I would like to "see" the damage and lack thereof thanks to you sliders.

Phil

Morbid eh! Well Phil as you'll see I got off very lucky. The scratches on the can and brake lever are so small I can't get them to show up on a picture. So all I can show you is a broken signal light and a scratched dinged slider and a perfectly clean engine. No fairing damage..Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2561.jpg
    IMG_2561.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_2565.jpg
    IMG_2565.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_2566.jpg
    IMG_2566.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_2573.jpg
    IMG_2573.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 223

Sailor-- Looks as if most of the "hits" are superficial-- Man, but that starbd side slider sure saved you some serious "coin".

Yup, thats for sure. The plastic inserts on the sliders can be replaced, probably do that to get rid of the evidence and quit reminding me of my screwup, LOL

Ditto what Roy said: 4mm Allen.

Roy and Greg,

thanks for that, will post some pics once I pick it up, and show cooler guard, its quite a neat well made item, original but also essential I think.

Rgds

Ron

Ron173,
Be sure to post info on where you purchased the guard and its price.

Hi I've got some bar to change out for the regular ones, but I have a few questions. I undid the switchgear - do I need to take the throttle cables off the throttle to remove this from the bars? How hard is it to drill the new holes in the bars - I will only have a hand drill and a table vice.

Changing the bars and drilling the holes was easy and really only time consuming. The holes will need to be in reference to the end of the pipe. My stock bar was shorter so you simply could not line them up and drill side by side.

The holes drill very easy as it's rather soft metal. I had a cheap Harbor Frieght 12 volt drill and it worked fine. My holes were drilled with the risers perpendicular to the ground as seen in this photo. That way, when the bars were installed, and the risers go stright up and down, the holes were in the direct bottom of the bar and thus the throttle and left hand switch cluster were lined up perfectly.

There was one extra hole that came in the factory bars under the throttle near the right end of the bar. I have no clue what that was for and thus I did not drill that hole.

The factory bars also had a few punch marks in them to help with assembly and lining things up - like the brake and clutch lever brackets.

Phil

I've never changed a bar on a street bike before but have on all my dirt bikes, none of them needed holes drilled. What would be the downfall of removing the locating pins on the switch gear so the holes where not needed?
I can see a need to not have them on a dirt bike where you want everything to be able to spin on the bar when you crash. Why wouldn't you want that on a street bar?

Back