• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Best 5 Mile Ride of My Life

Reaction score
First Name
Darci
Last Name
Escandon
Sunday morning started out pretty much the same. I hopped on the back of my hubby's bike and we took off to meet some friends for Menudo. The ride was nice. Nothing special really. It had rained a few days before. The desert was green and full of life. I must admit, there is something special about the desert after the rain.

We decided to take the border highway to the west side of town. It would be a 25 minute ride from our house to the west side of El Paso. Our friends live in Las Cruces so this was about half way.

As we cruised along the border, I couldn't help but notice how blue the sky. Not a cloud in the sky. Another beautiful West Texas morning. :sun: What a great day to ride, too bad I wasn't on my own bike. Someday, i thought to myself.

We ate breakfast. No pie runs here. The only pies in this area are at Village Inn and for some reason, they just don't seem the same.

Anyway, during breakfast, we decided to head down to the Yamaha dealer to see what they had on the floor. Just for fun I said. I already knew what they had on the floor with regards to used bikes. I had checked out their website the night before. We had been looking for a bike for me since I had to sell the other two, but hadn't found anything that jumped out and said buy me. Well, anything that I could afford anyway!!

After breakfast, we all got on our bikes and took the 5 minuted ride to Sunland Park Yamaha. As we pulled into the parking lot, i remember getting goosebumps and a big smile on my face. My hubby looked at me weird and asked if I was ok. Yep, I told him, I just feel like there's something special here waiting for me. He told my I was crazy and we left it at that.

We walked in to the dealer. The cowboy's game was on so no one really noticed us. I walked over to the used bikes and saw her immediately. In the very back corner, crowded in between a little Boulevard 250 and a Kawasaki 250, was my girl.
HPIM1510.jpg

A 1999 Triumph Legend TT. Obsidian Black. She was beautiful. I sat on her and that was it. I was able to place my feet flat on the ground. (I'm a bit height challenged and have a problem reaching the ground on most bikes). I had to take her for a ride. The sales guy pulled her out of her corner for me and I was on my way.

As i geared up, the butterflies in my tummy got to me. I was feeling a bit nervous and anxious. I was so excited. I kept telling myself "Don't drop the bike, don't drop the bike". Then my husband came over and said "I only have one thing to say to you, don't drop the bike". Great, what confidance!

Anyway, I told the butterflies to leave me alone and started her up. I sat there for a few moments trying to make sure I could find nuetral ok and get familiar with the kick stand, turn signals, horn, etc... I also wanted to get familiar with the friction zone. Once i felt comfy with those components, off I went.

As i pulled into the parking lot and on to the main road, I knew she was to be mine. My anxiety and nervousness was replaced by confidance. I knew I could ride her. It just felt right.

We headed out onto the old country road by the dealer. The trees were casting a wonderful shade on the road and there were very few cars out. I just got her up to speed and cruised a long. The feeling I had was something I just cant describe but I am sure all of you know what I am talking about. I could have ridden forever. :rider: :rider:

I realised that I didn't own her yet and thought that I should get back to the dealer. I didn't want them to think I had just taken off on one of their bikes!

Pulling back in to the parking lot was bitter sweat. I didn't want to say good by. I got off the bike and my husband knew from the look on my face that it was over. I had found my ride.

Today, 4 days later, on our 10th wedding anniversary, my husband has given me the best gift I have ever received (excluding my daughter of course). He bought me the Duchess!

I pick her up on Saturday. I am bikeless no more. Now, hopefully, I will be able to send more stories about West Texas rides!

Happy riding to all of you!

Nice looking bike! I am happy for you and all those great, cool rides you'll be taking this season.
Looks fit enough to take to a pie run... ;)

Very, very nice. That's a gorgeous bike, and you're going to have a lot of fun on her. The Duchess . . . I like the name, too.

Thanks Guys. Now, it looks like I have no excuse to make the 12 hour ride to the rest of Texas for pie!!!! :rider:

"Today, 4 days later, on our 10th wedding anniversary, my husband has given me the best gift I have ever received "

Sometimes, just sometimes, husbands do the right thing.

The bike called to you - and you listened.

You do realize now though, that he has "raised the bar" for your next anniversary present from you to him?

Happy motoring and nice bike.

Thanks so much for sharing your feelings and excitement for the new "to you" steed. It reminds me of my first motorcycle and the wonderful feelings that I remember very well.(this was probablly about when you were born) You will hopefully own many bikes through your life, but none of them will do for you, what this bike has done. Enjoy yourself and be careful. Thanks again for posting. Hardy

"Today, 4 days later, on our 10th wedding
You do realize now though, that he has "raised the bar" for your next anniversary present from you to him? ;-) uh Oh, hope i win the lottery!!!!

Happy motoring and nice bike.

Thanks Mike! now, you have me dreading next year!!!! :eek2: :doh:

cool scoot!

Chuck,
:scratch: However, NSDQ!

Huh?

Not safe for Dairy Queen?
Nasdaq?

Get thineself back to Tejas son.

Chuck,
:scratch: However, NSDQ!

Huh?

Not safe for Dairy Queen?
Nasdaq?

Get thineself back to Tejas son.

I think I even almost heard banjo music in his post?

Oh yeah, nice bike. It goes w/ your screen name. ;-)

PM sent (don't want to hijack a feel good thread!)

Now, maybe a Pie Run to Midland or something... :ponder:
How far is Midland from El Paso? 6 hours? Let me get some riding time under my belt and I think i just may do that. Wow, real pie and not empanada's!!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, congrats on the new ride. :thumb:

waitaminnit...you went from a GS with electrical problems to a Trumpet. Lighting by Lucas, Prince of Darkness! :doh:

haha, Just kidding!! It's a great bike. :sun:

Hey, congrats on the new ride. :thumb:

waitaminnit...you went from a GS with electrical problems to a Trumpet. Lighting by Lucas, Prince of Darkness! :doh:

haha, Just kidding!! It's a great bike. :sun:

hee hee hee..yep, already know about the lucas issue. I used to have a '71 BSA. That was the first thing I tore out!

Now, hopefully, the idea is, with this bonnie I just need to worry about the regular stuff like oil changes, flushing the radiator, and so on. the thing that I dread is the 25,000 mile air box replacement. :eek2:

:rider: aha, at times all the right 'stars' align! Congratulations! Neal

Be prepared for loads and loads people at stop lights, gas stations, restaurants, parking lots telling you how they used to own a Triumph and loved it.

They certainly have celebrity status.

Very cool. You had an up-hill battle with with the last bike. I hope you put thousands of trouble free miles on this bike

Super. Anxious to hear more about your impression of the bike as time goes on. I'll have to check out the border highway sometime soon. Starting to learn my way around EP after 2wks, now.

Nice looking Legend. I saw your post on on the TRat.net forum so you are good to go for any info you might need. They seem to know most everything about these. The only thing I can see that would stop a 12 hour ride for a pie run is that seat. I just can't do mine that long.
They are great bikes. I have had mine for a couple of years and really enjoy it. The only thing you really need to be aware of is they are a little top heavy... I'm not saying, but I'm just saying.

"Today, 4 days later, on our 10th wedding anniversary, my husband has given me the best gift I have ever received "

Sometimes, just sometimes, husbands do the right thing.

The bike called to you - and you listened.

More to the point...HE listened!

Good on you both!!! You for finding her, and he for recognizing her for being what she was...yours and patiently waiting for you to find her.

Nice looking Legend. I saw your post on on the TRat.net forum so you are good to go for any info you might need. They seem to know most everything about these. The only thing I can see that would stop a 12 hour ride for a pie run is that seat. I just can't do mine that long.
They are great bikes. I have had mine for a couple of years and really enjoy it. The only thing you really need to be aware of is they are a little top heavy... I'm not saying, but I'm just saying.

Hi Russ. Thanks. Later on, I was thinking of having the seat re done with memory foam. I can't wait to ride her. My first big scheduled ride is to Deming for the Vetrans BBQ. I'll know then just how much more padding I'll need!!!

Have you had to replace the airbox yet? I am dreading that. Right now, I have 11,780 miles on it and know that I have to do it at 25,000 miles!

Back