• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My Ride Into Oblivion.

DFW_Warrior

Hmmmm.....
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
o·bliv·i·on
The act or an instance of forgetting; total forgetfulness: sought the great oblivion of sleep.

2007, what a year it's been. Some times great, and most times not. Dealing with more issues this year than I've ever had to deal with in my entire lifetime put together. I for one can't wait until 2008; a fresh start; a new year, new chapter.

For the past 10 years of my street riding career I've never taken a trip where I was truly "alone". I've been on trips where I was by myself, but I always had something at home to keep me grounded. Something where I felt the need to always keep calling back, checking in, and feeling the need to return. Tomorrow that is about to change. I wish I could wow you with some great story like you hear on ADV rider of someone who quits life and goes around the world on two wheels. But unfortunately for you all, I'm not that kind of person. I really do like my home, I really do like my life, I just need some time away to sit back and do some looking, some evaluating so to speak. Not to mention, I don't have that kind of $$$$ laying around....

So if you're expecting some great journey to some foreign land you may wish to hit the back button now. Mainly because I'm not bringing my passport, so I can almost guarantee that I'll be staying in this great country of ours.

With quite a few friends telling me, "This year can't get much worse than it already has," I've decided to put that to the test. I'll either come back with a new take on things..... or well... it will get much, much worse.... I've taken all my vacation days for the year, packed up the bike, and tomorrow morning at 6AM I will be heading out for a destination unknown to me as of yet. I know I'll be heading to Colorado at first, but where I haven't the foggiest.

I do have one destination that I cannot miss on this trip. I will be stopping over in Howard, CO to see my Great Aunt and Uncle for the first time ever. They are flying in from Germany so I thought I'd take this opportunity to meet them. After that, I don't really know where I'm going. I know I'd like to head to Utah, maybe Arizona, maybe Wyoming... Nah, not Wyoming, it's cold up there already and how can I soul search while freezing my butt off?

Anyway, for the next 10-12 days I will be 100% self sufficient except for fuel for the bike, and water for myself. Everything else needed is being carried on the bike. I will have the GPS with me, but it will stay turned off except for emergencies and such. I feel a trip like this is so much better when you are not being lead around like a puppy dog following a pre-planned route. Trust me, there is nothing wrong with that, it's just not what I had in mind for this one. The phones will be turned off, there will be no "day by day" blog crap for you to read, no laptop. Just me, a tent, a book (Ghost Rider by Neil Peart), and a journal. Oh yeah, and a camera... what the heck kind of person would I be if I didn't take a ton of pics to remember it by??

So with all that said, I guess I'll see you all in two weeks. See-ya.

IMG_1140.jpg

Here's hoping that you have a great time, Bill!

The Tarrant County bunch will all be interested in your stories when you return...

:rider:

I predict that Bill and the beaded seat will be kidnapped into slavery as a NYC cabbie.

Bill, I mentioned this already, but......... this is your ride-about, your walk-about on two wheels. It's your turn now.

You will be different when you return. If you weren't, then you never really left. But change is not always a bad thing. In fact, it is often good. Over your trip, you will see things, do things, hear and smell things, and think things.....they will all add different layers over the Bill that you are now. It's called 'growing'. And when we stop growing, we may as well be dead.

Just remember, this is *your* trip; no one else's. You can share how ever much or little you want with whomever. And this trip will always stay with you, even after you return home.

But I have to tell you, you will not be alone. You have friends here who care about you. And we will be with you in spirit.

Ride on. And have the time of your life.
But please, return safe and sound.

Bill, if you keep on riding long enough, you may have to re-introduce yourself upon return. Cripes Man, I'm retired and have been trying for over a year to go on a ride like you have described! Just have fun, and I'm glad your camera will be going along, but don't feel bad if you are enjoying riding along and forget to take pics. you can always go back again for photo shoots:rider: Neal

Go to Crested Butte and take a break at Camp 4 Coffee.

Good luck and be safe!

Marco

Must be something in the air. We have 2 Stroms loaded down and are headed out tomorrow also. Three weeks of no commitments, no plans, no work, no B.S., etc. Just pure freedom from the daily grind!!!

Enjoy your time away and ride safe!

Bill, I mentioned this already, but......... this is your ride-about, your walk-about on two wheels. It's your turn now.

But I have to tell you, you will not be alone. You have friends here who care about you. And we will be with you in spirit.

Ride on. And have the time of your life.
But please, return safe and sound.

She puts it down so much better than I do.... All I can say is +1 on these thoughts. Your friends here will be thinking about you, wondering how you are getting along, and waiting to hear tales of the trip.

Go easy out there and soak up the scenery as you glide through it.

Over your trip, you will see things, do things, hear and smell things, and think things.....they will all add different layers over the Bill that you are now.

:tab If he's as dirty as that bike, then a few layers might be a good thing to keep the smell under control... :eek2: :lol2:

:tab I hope you find what you are looking for while you wander. Remember, not all who wander are lost... they might just be temporarily disoriented ;-)

Does your pannier have an Advertisement on it?

I hadn't seen a pic of it on the bike yet, but it's funny. :lol2:

Biwwy, you just be careful and come back in one piece, ya hear? :rider:

Bill, You will have fun. When you are blastin' the curves, keep an eye peeled for sand & such.;-) We want ya home in one piece.

Ride on!

:sun:

Safe riding, Bill.

Looking forward to hearing all about the trip and also the changes the occur.

Beach

May you come back with many pictures, stickers, no sharp pointy things in your tires, and in one piece with a renewed sense of yourself. and after that silly schpiel, have fun and be safe.

I took one of those trips two years ago. Just me, my jeep, and six weeks of vacation with no particular plan on where to go. I ended up hitting ten states and one province. I don't know that I had any great epiphanies about who I was, but I had a great trip, met a bunch of cool folks and have a bunch of pictures and memories to savor.

I'm thinking about taking the next one on a bike. With gas prices I'll probably have to... :)

You should have an interesting adventure. Enjoy yourself.

Tex

Godspeed.
Have fun, ride safe, take pics, and clear the ole noggin.

Look forward to a trip report at a T/C meet n greet.

Have a safe ride Bill. I hope you find in your travels what the soul is looking for. (hopefully it won't involve gravel on blind curves....)

Back