• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Curious about some of your hard "rules" for riding...

1. Helmet, jacket, boots and gloves.
2. Earplugs.
3. No alcohol - period.
4. Ride within my own limits. Always have a margin of error. (I'm not in nearly as big of a hurry to kill myself as I was 30 years ago.)

I was on a ride a few weeks ago with a couple of friends. It was hot and we stopped for lunch. My friends each ordered a beer. Those beers really looked great, but I had iced tea.

I am 51, I have been riding legally since I was 14 (OKLA, Drivers License). I have one hard and fast rule. Everyone else I meet on the road may be trying
to "ruin my day" (and a couple have) unless you prove to me differently. So, if you are in a car at a intersection and rolling, I assume you are going to pull out in front of me. Just because you are looking at me does not mean you see me. I know you are looking for a big metal box and not a two wheeler. If I am going down the interstate I am watching your front wheels as I pass because if they start to turn or you start a "slow drift" I may not get around you safely. I ride in your mirrors because if I can see your face, if you are
"looking", you can see me. But trust me, years of riding have told me you are not looking for a two wheeler and I am probably in your blind spot. My motto is now and always has been if I can see the danger, I can survive it. Do not depend on a "safety coarse" to "save you". It is one of "many tools" you need to survive. I have fallen off twice on the street and both times I have destroyed my helmet and saved my head. I do not need safety instuction to remind me of the reality of skulls on pavement. If you have any exposed skin you are subject to road rash and I have plenty of scars to prove it. Save yourself some flesh and wear the best safety equipment you can afford including gloves and boots. In return for the above ideas I have shared with you, if you are really lucky you will had have the fun of riding 30+ years like I have. It has been the one thing that has been constant in my life and I cherish it and appreciate it . The freedom of getting on the road and letting it "rip" with all the sights and smells and emotion that our good Lord allows.
Good luck out there and keep the rubber side down.

I'm referring to rules you have self-applied and which you adamantly refuse to violate.

For ex, I have 3:

1) No helmet...no ride. Period and no exceptions, myself included. I've been mocked, for donning my helmet when I move my bike across the parking lot. (I contend, my skull doesnt know the difference between the concrete on the road 40 miles from home and the concrete in the parking lot at work.)

2) Its my bike...not yours. No, you're not piploting my bike. I've known/seen too many people whose bikes were totalled by their "buddies". Usually, without the financials to replace it.

3) 1 drink, and I'll ride again in an hour. 2 drinks, and it'll be 2 hours. 3 drinks, and the barkeep gets my keys and $20 so he can call me a cab later on.

1) Its a scooter, not a bicycle. I will let anyone drive it as soon as they show me their Motorcycle Safety Foundation course card.

2) Its a scooter, not a cage. You must wear a helmet, you can wear mine, even though it might smell a little, it wont smell as bad as your brains oozing out...

3) Its a scooter, not a crotch rocket. With my new windscreen, I can hit 58 mph in a dead wind, and 61 going downhill.... its not for the freeway, its for getting from point a to b in a fuel efficient manner (which happens to be fun)

Doug

P.S. - Its raining outside, so my mesh jacket (still working Scott, thanks!) is NOT going to keep me dry, so Ill wait an hour and see if it gets better. If it doesn't, well, I will ride home SLOW and WET... Least my kids and dogs dont care what daddy looks like when he gets home from work.

After flatting a couple of weeks ago, I now always carry a plug kit.

I learned that one the hard way. I was in the middle of nowhere and had to call a friend with a truck. It's nice to be able to plug a hole, inflate the tire and be back on the road in a matter of minutes.

Some of you guys are gonna need to lighten up a little...there's essentially no alcohol in near beer...helmet to move the bike from the driveway into the garage....atgatt to wash the bike can't be far away!:rofl:

1st rule: There are no rules when it comes to self presevation.
2nd rule: See rule 1 above.:doh:

On my typical commute I sure I could be cited for numerous traffic violations but time and experiance has proven that if I follow the "rules" some as hat cager well take me out or attempt to. Position is everything I am either first or last but I don't care to be in "the mix". If paying attention cost a dime then I find the vast majority of cagers would get 9 cents change.

About the only non breakable rule I have is that I really can't take the bike on an errand to Home Depot for a lumber run. That stuff is hard as heck to balance on my noggin...I'll never try that again!

Seriously ... as good as my intentions are I've broken every rule mentioned so far at least one time in my life. Some I'll no doubt break again despite all good intentions. The one rule I try to stick to is to never ride above my ability or the environment I'm riding in.

Dave.

Greetings fellow F&I man,

I surely do have a few and hold them as unequivocal:

I agree with you on your #1 and would just expand your contention regarding your skull to include all the rest of my parts, so All The Gear, All The Time: Helmet, ear plugs, gaiter/balavlava, leather jacket, gloves, overpants, and boots irrespective of distancel;

And greetings to you as well, fellow F&I'er.

I'll add that the helmet is just the start for the gear. Mesh or leather jacket, gloves, boots-always. Denims at a minimum. Still looking for "crash pants".

About the only non breakable rule I have is that I really can't take the bike on an errand to Home Depot for a lumber run. That stuff is hard as heck to balance on my noggin...I'll never try that again!

Seriously ... as good as my intentions are I've broken every rule mentioned so far at least one time in my life. Some I'll no doubt break again despite all good intentions. The one rule I try to stick to is to never ride above my ability or the environment I'm riding in.

Dave.

Oh trust me, at one time or another...I've broken my own rules as well. That is what essentially led to my declaring them "absolute", and sharing them as such with my family/friends. The more people who know my rules, the more people there are to rib me if I violate one, and thus the greater my own self-discipline in NOT giving them the ammo to rib me.

Not really rules, more like guidelines.....

-Never ride 10/10ths on the road

-Never ride without eye protection

-After chashing, check for brakes before taking off again

-Leave the beer in the cooler until the bikes are on the trailer

My Rules.

1. No beers when riding period. If you drink on a ride I ain't riding with you no more
2. The night before a ride, more than 4 drinks it is 12 hours before I ride again.
3. Minimum of gloves, jeans and helmet if you want to ride with me.

I really only stick to a few absolute rules...helmet every ride, stay within my limits (I hate ambulance rides) and ride to stay alive.

If I am on the bike, for every beer it is 1hr min. before I even consider getting on the bike again. Easier to just have a coke.

My "rules" for riding:

Always wear helmet, jacket and gloves. I wouldn't be caught dead riding in shorts or flipflops....(how is that even possible?!)

No drinking and then riding...not too hard for me since I rarely drink anyway. I won't ride with others that drink while riding either. I was at a poker run a couple of weeks ago and most of the riders were drinking beer at every stop. (stops were only every 20 miles or so) I saw how things were headed and bailed out at the 2nd stop.

1) I only ride with people I know( and all those people wear all the gear!)I will just slow down till they decide to pass if a stranger falls in with me. I have problems trusting other riders, even if they are behind me.
2) Ride within my limits. If I crash trying to ride beyond my ability, stupid me. My brain is the best tool I have against going down. I try to use it.

4. Everyone gets home safe. If an accident or mechanical break down occurs, the ride is over. We make sure that anyone involved in the incident is taken care of and that they are safely transported to home/hospital/etc. and that their bike makes it home.

+1

Most of the above "rules" are the same ones I have. I periodically "have" to ride with strangers but most have been riding a while, just not with me but I still prefer to ride either alone or with one or two riding buddies.

ATGATT with the exception of over-pants. The only ones I have are leather over-pants and in the summer it's just too uncomfortable to be able to concentrate on/enjoy the ride. But at minimum; helmet, gloves and Joe Rocket jacket with jeans and boots.

My bike is an older non-cherished bike (non-HD, non-crotchrocket, non-special) so touching my bike is not a crime punishable by death but I can only think of one or two non-family people I'd trust to let them ride it.

No drinking and riding. That one's pretty easy since I rarely drink.

Never EVER ride beyond my abilities.

And my number one ride thought.....they ARE out to get me. My job is to make it harder for them.

Me too! That backboard is a torture device. Why don't they believe you when you say your neck and back are fine? :scratch:
Because you may not be able to perceive inflicted damage due to adrenaline 'n' such flowing around your system.

1. If I go off my driveway, I and any passenger will be wearing helmets. Period. Full Stop. If the ride is of any distance at all (read 1+ mile or so) OR includes anticipated speeds above about 20 mph, we're also going to have boots, jackets and gloves. I've always thought overpants were probably a good idea, but not an absolute requirement for me.

2. The motorcycle gets at least a walk around inspection every time and at least an all fluids check every week.

3. I don't drink more drinks than the number of wheels I've got that night - that goes for all night and includes adequate spacing between. So, if I'm two wheeling it, I've got a two drink max and time in between and time after.

4. The pace and route of the ride needs to match the conditions. Often the smart thing to do is pull off and wait out that driving rain storm.

5. Few people will be allowed to ride my bike.

6. I don't have anything to prove when I ride. I'm just going to focus on keeping the rubber side down and enjoy the ride.

1. ATGATT
2. No driking. Period. 1 drink = no ride
3. Ride my own ride
4. Know the route (or at least how to get home) if I'm riding with others
5. Pre-flight inspection of controls, tires, chain
6. Have cell phone in my jackat pocket

We've had a few new riders show up on the forum lately, Like them, I think we could all probably benefit from revisiting the suggestions in this thread.

Good question with many great answers. I am totally on board no drinking, full gear, focused. For myself, particularly this winter:
1) if its too cold-windy-wet just stay home, why be miserable? Same if it is way over the top hot in summer.
2) ride my own ride, forget the fast younger groups, even on my hot rod Italia bike, sometimes I am fast, sometimes I am not
3) the most important is listen to my intuition: if I don't feel sharp-- don't ride, recently I have been very fatigued/distracted dealing with family deaths and that has definitely reduced my riding time-- however that page will turn. It is called metacognition.

I hadn't really thought about it. Not sure if they are rules per se but I have a few over arching thoughts when I ride.

1.) Ride your own ride and encourage others to do the same.

2.) Be grateful for the opportunity and enjoy it. Not every ride is epic, but they all should be enjoyable If it isn't fun, you're doing it wrong.

3.) Try not to be a jerk to anyone, ever. Care for other motorists, riders, passengers like you care for yourself and don't put them in danger by your actions.

Thought of one more...

4.) Don't put yourself in a dangerous position. (Stuff like picking a route around severe weather or not making your schedule so tight that you feel you have to ride through it. Or more common things like not riding beside a Semi on the highway, or not tailgating or riding in a tight group formation where you can't manuever around an obstacle without potentially hitting someone or getting hit by someone else)

Last edited:
Back