• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2008 Pie Run Schedule

Yeah, I would like to do the Corpus Christi run in January, but the very early start may kill it. I can't always do an overnight trip, although this one is a candidate.

Chuck....I am going to weekends off starting in late Feb....if you want to make a Corpus Run weekend run in March, I would be all over that.

just a thought......i know you guys put a lot of work in this and i commend yall for it. but the last two runs are real close to the holidays and a lot of people travel to be with family those weekends. so i was wondering about moving Nov. to the 22nd and DEC. to the 6th.????? i would say the 20th for DEC. but last weekend shopping.....you know. just typing out loud.:duck:
We typically have the November one the weekend before Thanksgiving and the December one is the overnight year end party the Saturday after Christmas in College Station. The first December one we had was a New Years Eve party. We have also shifted the May one around to avoid Memorial Day weekend and maybe a few others. I am sure the schedule will be changed to reflect these conflicts.

In fact the first "Test Pie Run" was in Hico on New Years Eve Day 2004, we met that afternoon with the Pie Man from Temple, Rocket Cowboy from McKinney, Gixster (on STN and Cycle Forums) from OKC and me coming up from Austin. I can say it was cold coming back in the dark, all I had was a mesh jacket with a liner at the time.

i just thought more people (including myself) would be able to make more runs if they were not so close to the hollidays.

Rats! The first one that's close enough to get to on my S40 (with the Seat-o-Death) is Ponder on March 29, and I'll be on my way home from a camping trip in Smoky Mountains National Park. Oh, well. I'll probably make the Hico run.

The November one I could really care less about. But I'm all for having the year end one at the end of the year. I'm already off on vacation that week anyway and it's an awesome way to end out the year.

agreed but no one answered my question. I'm curious on how many members we have in Lubbock, Midland, Odessa, Del Rio, or El Paso? Why don't we do one in south TX - Brownsville or Zapata? I would think that it would be good to know the geographical distribution of our membership and use that information to determine candidate locations.

I believe we have one member down in McAllen and Im in Laredo. They dont do a lot of pies down here. I know plenty of good taco joints though. Although we could screw with my neighbors and do TWT party at the house complete with loud pipes. ;-)
Ingleside is about the closest Ive seen to down here. It would sure beat 150 miles of IH35 before I even get to anything resembling scenery. I could do some looking if all yall are really interested in coming this far south.
I know if yall go to Zapata, Paraiso is a good place for the Chicken Fried Steak fans. No pie though. or at least none that Ive ordered, the Ford hubcap sized steak is usually enough. :eat:

I believe we have one member down in McAllen and Im in Laredo. They dont do a lot of pies down here. I know plenty of good taco joints though. Although we could screw with my neighbors and do TWT party at the house complete with loud pipes. ;-)
Ingleside is about the closest Ive seen to down here. It would sure beat 150 miles of IH35 before I even get to anything resembling scenery. I could do some looking if all yall are really interested in coming this far south.
I know if yall go to Zapata, Paraiso is a good place for the Chicken Fried Steak fans. No pie though. or at least none that Ive ordered, the Ford hubcap sized steak is usually enough. :eat:

I'd love to have some places down in deep south Texas for pie. I understand that they may be fewer in number than elsewhere, but that just means a greater challenge to finding them!

Based on several members' feedback, I will move the Ingleside run to another date. My initial idea is to move it to March if that works better. Let me know.

As for the holiday dates, I can certainly move them. In 2007, I noticed that we had several holiday weekends where TWT members went out for rides, so I figured hosting the Pie Run on the same weekends might allow more folks to come that would otherwise have to work. If the dates need to be changed, though, I'd be happy to do it.

I'd love to have some places down in deep south Texas for pie. I understand that they may be fewer in number than elsewhere, but that just means a greater challenge to finding them!

Based on several members' feedback, I will move the Ingleside run to another date. My initial idea is to move it to March if that works better. Let me know.

As for the holiday dates, I can certainly move them. In 2007, I noticed that we had several holiday weekends where TWT members went out for rides, so I figured hosting the Pie Run on the same weekends might allow more folks to come that would otherwise have to work. If the dates need to be changed, though, I'd be happy to do it.

That is great!! March 15th or 29th would be great for me..those are my four day weekends, I could ride down on Friday, explore on Friday/Saturday and ride back on Sunday...would be a cool way to celebrate my very first Official TWT Pie Run!!!

good looking schedule
I wonder if my folks will let me borrow their new electra gluide?

I made some adjustments to the schedule to try and meet everyone's needs:

1. There is a location close to Houston as soon as Feb.
2. The Deep South Texas run is moved to March as requested
3. The DFW folks get the first Pie Run of 2008
4. The West Texas run is moved to May (more time for a Scounting Trip ;-) )
5. The new location in Marshall for E. Texas is now in April

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

My only thought is "thanks!!"....I am really looking forward to heading to Ingleside in March.

REF: Floyd's Ranch House in Ingleside, TX

I have yet to attend a Pie Run, but if I am correct (am I ?), part of the fun of Pie Runs is after eating some pie of course, there is a nice ride with everyone. Well unfortunately we don't have those great riding roads you guys have up North, mostly all the roads here are flat and straight. :doh:

Since I live within 15 min of the Ingleside location, I wanted to throw some potential activities to do out there for those attending which may make up for roads that don't have as much of a fun quotient as you're used to.

ALL of these places are within a 15 - 25 min ride of the Pie Run location :

USS Lexington Aircraft Carrier Museum

http://www.usslexington.com/

Texas State Aquarium

http://www.texasstateaquarium.org/

Corpus Christi Museum Of Science & History

http://www.texasstateaquarium.org/

Art Center Of Corpus Christi

http://artcentercc.org/

Corpus Christi Visitors Center

http://artcentercc.org/

I'll see you guys in Jan. ! :rider: :eat:

Do you think that the aquarium and the Lexington can be done decently in half a day each? I am thinking of heading down on Thursday, seeing both (if possible) on Friday, doing the Pie Run and then heading back....that way I will have Sunday to recover.

Do you think that the aquarium and the Lexington can be done decently in half a day each? I am thinking of heading down on Thursday, seeing both (if possible) on Friday, doing the Pie Run and then heading back....that way I will have Sunday to recover.

They are actually pretty close together, like about less than a mile apart if I'm not mistaken...I've been to the Aquarium and you should be able to do it easy in a 1.5 to 2 hrs and that's laid back and taking your time to soak it all in. The Lex I haven't been to yet so I can't really say but if I had to guess maybe 3 hrs max...

Cool!! Thanks for the heads up.....though with my penchant for taking pictures that 2 hours can easily stretch out to 3 or 4. :)

Thoughts?

Thanks! Looks great!

Thoughts?

Better! I think locations that are very close to major cities like The Ranchman's are better in questionable weather months due to the shorter ride for most folks, leaving the more rural runs for the better weather months. :thumb:

It is an improved schedule but now I'm going to miss the one in my backyard.:doh:

Didn't figure I could make it way south in January so my Wife and I have other plans........... :trust:

It is an improved schedule but now I'm going to miss the one in my backyard.:doh:

Didn't figure I could make it way south in January so my Wife and I have other plans........... :trust:

Same here... I'll be down doing the East TX DS ride. But no big deal, I'll just make it to one of the longer ones that people were whining about....:rofl:

I'm still a noob at this. What time do we plan to meet at the restaurant?

My understanding is 1100 is the generally accepted show up time. Is that right?

I'm still a noob at this. What time do we plan to meet at the restaurant?

The time is generally 11AM, however a new change this year will be a varying meet time depending on the location. Some locations are more remote and a later meet time allows for a more sane start time.

Pie? What is pie? I think we learned something about that in high school algebra. There's no pie down here.

Just kidding folks. While pie is not commonly served in most establishments down here, we do have one notable exception. Lone Star BBQ makes some very fine homemade pies. My personal favorite, when it is in season, is their grapefruit pie......Mmmmmmm!:eat:

P.S. I almost forgot, they also have some might fine BBQ!

Back