• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Uncle's Ride the Rio - Feb 21 - 24, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh, middle-of-nowhere, it's been far too long

:zen:

I am looking forward to this. I went for a short 50ish mile ride to test the gear this morning... in 29 degree weather. 29 degrees and 85-90mph down the highway didn't feel too bad. Long underwear bottoms, heavy weight fleece bottoms, wind/rain proof liner, riding pants, long sleeve tshirt, aerostitch heated vest, heavy weight fleece shirt, wind/water proof liner, FirstGear Rainier jacket, insulated gloves, heated grips, heavy weight balacava.

I'm glad you Texans don't mind a Missourian coming to your non-event.

I am looking forward to this. I went for a short 50ish mile ride to test the gear this morning... in 29 degree weather. 29 degrees and 85-90mph down the highway didn't feel too bad. Long underwear bottoms, heavy weight fleece bottoms, wind/rain proof liner, riding pants, long sleeve tshirt, aerostitch heated vest, heavy weight fleece shirt, wind/water proof liner, FirstGear Rainier jacket, insulated gloves, heated grips, heavy weight balacava.

I'm glad you Texans don't mind a Missourian coming to your non-event.

We like Missourians (and now I know what people from MO are called) because we like to go play in your backyard sometimes too! :rider:

Hola Aventueros!

My motorcycle needs to go to Peguis Canyon. http://ojinaga.com/Peguis/peguis.html

A great ride would be up to Candelaria on the river road, back to Ruidosa and do the dirt part of Palo Pinto Canyon Road. On the return we could cross the border at Ojinaga and make the 25 mile jaunt to Peguis.

Total mileage looks to be about 325

Bring a birth certificate/passport to facilitate the border crossing. Since we will be staying within the 25 mile border zone no additional preparation would be necessary.

Lets organize a posse on Thursday night at the Starlight Theater to Git-er-done!

:rider:

Hola Aventueros!

My motorcycle needs to go to Peguis Canyon. http://ojinaga.com/Peguis/peguis.html

A great ride would be up to Candelaria on the river road, back to Ruidosa and do the dirt part of Palo Pinto Canyon Road. On the return we could cross the border at Ojinaga and make the 25 mile jaunt to Peguis.

Bring a birth certificate/passport to facilitate the border crossing. Since we will be staying within the 25 mile border zone no additional preparation would be necessary.

Lets organize a posse on Thursday night at the Starlight Theater to Git-er-done!

IN for this!!

Hola Aventueros!

Looks like a good ride but the only Gas is in Presidio so I'm out. Not sure I can get 150 miles out of my tank. However if you know of a gas station I don't then maybe I will join in.

Grid Coordinates to Uncle's place:

29°18'49.32"N
103°36'33.39"W

For those who don't have a GPS, you can post the coordinates in Google Earth to locate Uncle's place.

Looks like a good ride but the only Gas is in Presidio so I'm out. Not sure I can get 150 miles out of my tank. However if you know of a gas station I don't then maybe I will join in.

Mapsource tells me that from Presidio to the end of Pinto Canyon Road and back is 113 miles. If you can get 115 miles from a tank I think you can run Jerry's route if you don't run all the way over to Candelaria.

This will be my first trip on my new XChallenge and until I figure out how far I can go on a tank of gas this is going to be my insurance. The 2-1/2 gallon tank is going to be a huge adjustment from the 8-gallons I'm used to.
255269168_ESkfA-M.jpg

Re: Uncle's Ride the Rio TWT attendance list

Paul and I are blessed to live here in Big Bend Country. We'll try to join your for coffee in the morning sometime but we're not early risers, and we'd love for any riders to stop by our adobe just 25 sMiles north of Study Butte on 118.

Or coming from Alpine we're the first house on the right that's 53 sMiles south.

Anything we can do to help ; ) let us know.

Voni
sMiling

Paul and I are blessed to live here in Big Bend Country. We'll try to join your for coffee in the morning sometime but we're not early risers, and we'd love for any riders to stop by our adobe just 25 sMiles north of Study Butte on 118.

Or coming from Alpine we're the first house on the right that's 53 sMiles south.

Anything we can do to help ; ) let us know.

Voni
sMiling

I'd love to meet you Voni. Mel Smith of Adrian MO has spoken highly of you and your riding history. Mel is a 79 year old client of mine that rides a burgman, but has riden different bikes all over the country during his life. At 78 he took me on a 480 mile Saturday ride into Kansas that took 12 hours and we must have visited 20+ other bikers. That guy knows every rider within 100 miles I think. The one I remember was Prothey that has a 300,000 BMW cert.

Mapsource tells me that from Presidio to the end of Pinto Canyon Road and back is 113 miles. If you can get 115 miles from a tank I think you can run Jerry's route if you don't run all the way over to Candelaria.
Another consideration is to turn around at the top of the rimrock near Marfa. The road between there and Marfa is ~20 miles, paved and flat on top of the plateau. There's also gas in Marfa (I think). The real meat of the ride is from the rimrock south to 170 and Ruidosa.

I'll be riding it again but probably not the day the rest of you are (is that Friday?).

p.s. Be nice to the horses in the road and respect the signs that state it is a private road. Public access to this road is by the grace of the landowners. It was closed to the public not long ago.

Voni, how far are you from the North County Rd on 118?

At this point, committing to any schedule is impossible. But if you are riding down to Terlingua area, I hope we can meet up with you.

Photo shoots: Terlingua Ghost Town, in front of the Starlight; Thursday late afternoon/early evening.
Kathy's Kosmic Cafe, early Friday morning.

Sorry, no exact times. It IS Terlingua Time, afterall. (I'll be there when I get there)

All you guys and gals have fun on this trip and by all means be careful.

Oh, if you get time and are so inclined here is a website listing land for sale in that area.:thumb:

Hey, Soozy! Might I interest you in being my street buddy down at Big Bend?

Rachel, Soozy and I spoke about with whom she might ride strictly pavement. She said she hoped you would ride with her. She also said something about asking if you want to share her room. It has a private bath so you won't be smelly after the second day. :rofl:

I'd love to meet you Voni. Mel Smith of Adrian MO has spoken highly of you and your riding history. Mel is a 79 year old client of mine that rides a burgman, but has riden different bikes all over the country during his life. At 78 he took me on a 480 mile Saturday ride into Kansas that took 12 hours and we must have visited 20+ other bikers. That guy knows every rider within 100 miles I think. The one I remember was Prothey that has a 300,000 BMW cert.

I know him well! He sends me the most interesting email ; ) What a guy!

Looking forward to meeting you.

Voni
sMiling

Voni, how far are you from the North County Rd on 118?

At this point, committing to any schedule is impossible. But if you are riding down to Terlingua area, I hope we can meet up with you.

About 15 sMiles.

Looking forward to meeting you too. Love your blog. You have such a way with words.

And pictures.

See you SOON!

Voni
sMiling

I would be honored.

:rider: woohoo! sounds great. today when I get to work I'll have Bill show me a few good street routes that he's been on, so we'll have something to go on.

as for the room, I appreciate the offer but I've had my heart set on camping for awhile now. I might give you a few bucks to use the shower, though :trust:

Camping is good. And I snore like no other. I am looking forward to the ride!! I have room in the trunk for a picnic, too.

Looks like the weather is trying to keep me out of this one. Tuesday's high is 40, but it gets down to 12 that night with a high of 24 Wednesday (my launch date). So the only way I can do this is launch Tuesday early afternoon and get as far south as I can before that cold front gets here.

If not...maybe next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back