• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What is your job?

Does anybody here, besides me, think that having a job really sucks?

I mean don't you feel like you are slave chattel or something? People telling you what to do and stuff, ordering you around, evaluating you with a piece of paper every year and comparing you to the others, and other Nazi-Communist like modes of behavior, etc.

Or if you are a boss do you feel you have real power? Even though if you were stranded on the side of the road naked all of your employees would laugh at you.

Mike

Actually, I am a "boss" of sorts......after spending so many years on the other side, I know what it's like to not enjoy where you work; so I take extra effort to make the place as comfy as possible. I'm very laid-back here. Even got the guys a couch to take breaks.....and inserting s flat screen and cable soon.

(can't miss my soaps, y'know).

Does anybody here, besides me, think that having a job really sucks?

I mean don't you feel like you are slave chattel or something? People telling you what to do and stuff, ordering you around, evaluating you with a piece of paper every year and comparing you to the others, and other Nazi-Communist like modes of behavior, etc.

Or if you are a boss do you feel you have real power? Even though if you were stranded on the side of the road naked all of your employees would laugh at you.

Mike

I worked at a bank for a while, in audit no less. I know that feeling.

I'm a mod on TWT. Interesting work. Pay sucks.

Really, Geologist by degree & license. Working for a geotechnical engineering firm, so at any time I may be:

Logging soils
Writing reports
Quality Manager
manual labor
Proofreader

How exactly do you manage the quality of geology? I thought that was God's job...

I am in product service planning for a major computer manufacturer. I manage the service of new product intros for specific product lines and make sure that all support delivery units are ready to support it (call center, field, repair centers, etc).

The fun part for me is that I get to talk to people from all over the world every day (my own team is a virtual global team) and get to play with new products coming out soon. :-P Some I get to keep for use. :mrgreen:

His work is pretty faulty.

:rofl: Clever!

Any geologists you know believe in a 6,000 yr. old earth? ( I met an engineer once who did, and my jaw dropped.... ) but I'd be interested to know of a geologist, particularly an Oil & Gas geologist who faithfully believes in young earth creationism.

Mechanical Engineer for a big oil company.

I'm building the bridge between current energy supplies and those 50-100 years out. We may also make the middle east much less relevant in the process.

Something that is interesting to me is even if people HATE their day-to-day jobs, they still find enough meaning in what they do to keep suffering through it.

Salary is a big motivator. When my sister was job hunting, we tried helping her find stuff in Ausin and San Antonio. everywhere she looked, the jobs didnt get her "Inspired" as she put it. I told her that starving will inspire you to work. So she is now working for Apple in Austin. Of course its kinda hard to tell your dad you quit, so thats kind of a rock and a hard place situation regardless. Im a rancher, but I do accounting to pay the bills. I would love to drive the tractor all day and work the ranch, it feels like honest work to me

I work at the corporate offices of the largest video game retailer in the world as a Corporate Support Tech. It's so much fun fixing Outlook all day long.

:rofl: Clever!

Any geologists you know believe in a 6,000 yr. old earth? ( I met an engineer once who did, and my jaw dropped.... ) but I'd be interested to know of a geologist, particularly an Oil & Gas geologist who faithfully believes in young earth creationism.

Methinks this Earth has been here a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time, but man hasn't. And does anyone REALLY believe that one of God's days is 24 hours, like ours??

Apologies to all for going off-topic.

Stay at home dad. (Not by choice) Moved to the DFW area for the wifes job (a supposed step up :rofl:
Anyone hiring?:lol2:
Zilla

Two jobs here - Systems analyst for HET/McDonald Observatory & Emergency Management Coordinator/Fire Marshal/Paramedic for Jeff Davis County. I'm thinking I need an additional job :eek2:

Cheers,
Mike

2006 GL1800

Two jobs here - Systems analyst for HET/McDonald Observatory & Emergency Management Coordinator/Fire Marshal/Paramedic for Jeff Davis County. I'm thinking I need an additional job :eek2:

Cheers,
Mike

2006 GL1800

Or a bigger plate. :)

I'm an independant Insurance Agent in San Antonio. About to start my part-time career as a motorcycle instruction coach to keep my sanity. Not for the pay but to do something I like.

Electronic Technician in a central office for a well known telecommunications company.
Marty

I am an Art Teacher. I work on getting my students to defend their solutions to problems, work ethic and how to look at problems by creating criteria or and end product that you want.

Factory Inspector (no, not OSHA) for the Fenestration Industry (windows and doors), travel the US and Canada (dodging the Canadian Navy) and hopefully this year Europe. Making sure that huge amount of money it takes to have good windows installed, is worth it and that people get what they are paying for in a good way.
Sampling materials for the windows/doors for testing and coatings for testing, also do some work in the lab doing the physical testing.

Sr. Electrical designer/electrical design department lead.

Human meat popsicle and part time race car driver.

Admixture tech...i prepare chemotherapy for patients throughout Austin and Central Texas.

Corporate Accountant at a very large Commodities Trading Company. Sounds awesome, huh? But, it is not. :yawn:

Back