• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Triumphs, Beemers, Yamahas, KLRs, and, oh yeah, some V-Stroms

Gilk51

Reaction score
First Name
Charles ("Chuck")
Last Name
Gibke
Had an excellent turnout considering the sub-freezing temps around dawn. Folks came from Houston, Austin, Waco, Sulpher Springs, DFW, and parts of north Texas.

The frigid arctic air was just that and the afternoon winds were brutal.

Thanks to all who joined us in Glen Rose. :rider:

Photos and details to come... :trust:

Last edited:
worthlessye2.gif

Sorry Chuck, couldn't resist it.

It was a cold and windy morning, but the sunshine held the promise of a perfect riding day....

OK, a decent riding day. It was 26 degrees when I awoke this morning and not much better at 33 degrees and windy when I departed the Starbucks for the trip to Glen Rose. 43 when I arrive and 65 when I departed two hours later.

It was going pretty well until I got to visit personally with a Temple cop on Hwy 317. It seems the single lane expands to three at a cross road with a light, one of each for left, right and straight. Someone decided not to turn right after all deciding instead to merge back into the middle lane thereby displacing me into the unoccupied left lane. Since there was no oncoming traffic, and I was going too fast to turn left, I continued straight and merged back into the appropriate lane. Right in front of a cop stopped on the cross street who only caught my transgression.... He didn't believe me, but at least he didn't ticket me either.

Otherwise, the food was good, the company great and bikes alone worth the trip.

Thanks Chuck for picking a great place to ride to:clap:

While many of the Strom riders were still tucked under the covers waiting for the temperature to rise, KenH, Dirt Bomb, and myself hit the road early to take the scenic route to Glen Rose.

The blast around 820 to get south of Fort Worth was pretty chilly. I met Ken at the corner of 1187 and 377 and off we went. The temp was a balmy 25 according to the high tech themometer on the KLR and the mud puddles were frozen.

A half hour or so later while arriving in Granbury Chris (dirt bomb) pulls up behind Ken and I. After a quick stop to feed the TW we were on our way again.

Mikeal (IDR) had mapped out a great ride for us. From Granbury to Glenrose we rode some very twisty back roads. Some paved some not. I think all three of us had the same thoughts that we were nuts to be out riding when we got to the first of 5 water crossings for the day with the temperature still only 35. With only three of us and little dust because of the recent rain and snow we made great time getting to Glen Rose arriving at 10:45.

About 5 minutes after we arrived the first Strom arrived. With in 30 minutes the parking lot was full of bikes.

Fearless Leader taking attendance at table 1:

And table 2:

After lunch it was time for us to finish our dual sport ride back to DFW. Although only in the 50's it felt like a heat wave after the morning ride. Our first stop on the way back to recycle some tea:

My SPOT says we were right here:

http://maps.google.com:80/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=32.1002,-97.4624&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

After one more stop to feed the TW in Cleburne we were on the home stretch. Ken peeled off in Burleson for parts unknown, and Chris followed me to 35W and 820 heading east on 820. I ended up with 247 miles of great day of riding.

Special thanks to:

IDR for planning our route
KenH for the Cool Sweatshirts
Dirt Bomb for riding with us for the first time
Chuck for planning the event

On a side note:

It has been an interesting week of 650 miles of riding for me on the mighty KLR. Last Saturday it was near 80 on the Ponder DS ride. Monday I rode home from work in rain and wet snow. Wednesday it was 65 and sunny. Thursday I rode home from work in a snow storm. Today it started out with ice on the pond, and ended up very pleasant. I haven't had a week of riding like this, weather wise, in a long time.

No Strom's were injured in making this ride:lol2:

Hey, that thermometer in the picture is sitting at 23*F, not 25.

...Ken peeled off in Burleson for parts unknown, ...:

I knew where I was going to end up, just didn't know exactly how I was going to get there. :rider: I just knew I wasn't going to try to survive I35 on a Saturday afternoon on knobbies and 15/54 sprockets.

Hey, Rich, what did you think of that soft sand in the middle of the sharp right? Yup, I saw that. Good save!:bigokay:

I don't know what to think about all those street bikes crashing our dualsport ride. :shrug:

Hey, that thermometer in the picture is sitting at 23*F, not 25.

Look again - the next big mark is for 30 degrees, not 25.

I knew there was a small dual sport ride but everyone was tight-lipped on where and when. I should have known they were up to something when I got Rich's SPOT email at 7:46 this morning.
freezing.gif

Yes, it was cold and we started later than originally planned. When I got to the Minyards, Pat (coupe930) was already there.
pat_4346q.jpg

Then Chris (sharkey):
chris_4342q.jpg

Right around ten, a bunch of others blew in:
Bill (DFW_Warrior) who somehow avoided a picture, and SO, Brandy (she's cuter, anyway):
brandy_4347q.jpg

Chris (stinky93071)
chris_4343q.jpg

Rachel (echo_boom) was with them but took off to gas up
rachel_4345q.jpg

rachel_gas_4350q.jpg

I guess everyone was rarin' to go (or frozen solid) since nobody took off their helmets. :scratch:

Clay (AutoRotate) rolled in from Rockwall
clay_4344q.jpg

And a scooter shall lead them...

sharkey Chris led us on the short path to Glen Rose. We left about 10:08 and arrived at Hammonds at 11:16 - it was even mentioned that we were early!

I was OK until we turned onto US67 and then proceeded to get cold.
cold.gif

to be continued... (after dinner) :mrgreen:

Last edited:
we had a good bunch of riders after Hammonds take a ride on the back roads

thanks to Ghostrider1964 and Mr2mch for the route and all the nice county roads, water crosssings, gravel, stray dogs

at Gatesville everyone split up, TxFire and Art? back to Austin area; I went back up to Norse and got home at 6:30pm

Paul (st driver), who rides a DL650 ;-) sent me some pictures:

pw_IMG_0126.jpg

pw_IMG_0127.jpg

pw_IMG_0128.jpg

pw_IMG_0129.jpg

pw_IMG_0130.jpg

pw_IMG_0132.jpg

Where did you find the sign in the last picture, Paul?

Just finished the cherry cobbler I brought home from Hammond's. :eat:

When we arrived at Hammond's, there was already a wad (glob?) of motorcycles with various folks milling around. We added 7 bikes to the madness and started to figure out who was there. I made notes, I took pictures, I just hope that I didn't get everything mixed up! :doh:

Please let me know if I got your name or anything else wrong...

Dody (ghostrider1964) was with a Waco group
dody_4351q.jpg

Rod (Mr2mch) was also from Waco. He had some maps of County Roads in the area & looks to be a great source of local info. :thumb:
rod_4352q.jpg

LOVE that shirt! :clap:

Local Glen Rose resident (and an original instigator for this event) Bill (Graubart = "gray beard" in German)
bill_4354q.jpg

Bill has a unique sense of humour. :eek2: Fortunately, his wife, Loretta, was there to keep him under control
loretta_4366q.jpg

We actually were allowed to speak with the dual sport folks. :roll:
Here Chris (sharkey) gets the scoop from Ken (Kenh) and another Chris (dirt bomb)
chris_ken_chris_4355q.jpg

Kurt (txmedic) was there! His two fingers mean that this is the second picture I have taken of him with this same bike! :lol2:
kurt_4356q.jpg

Two fellas from Killeen. Don (not registered?)
don_4357q.jpg

and C.R. (cporter3), also from Killeen. A third rider from their area had to work
cr_4358q.jpg

Brad (jbh) is an ex-V-Strom owner (and a blue one at that!), now has a FJR
brad_4359q.jpg

Art (aharbi) is from Austin
art_4360q.jpg

Sam (shrek) snuck his KLR in over by the dual sport guys and then tried to look innocent. :-P
sam_4361q.jpg

Now, I know I have more than 2 pictures of Elzi (TexasShadow) with this bike
elzi_4362q.jpg

Ed (ed29) put his snazzy FJR next to Brad's (background)
ed_4363q.jpg

Josh (Texfire) got the end of the line
josh_4364q.jpg

Brad (jbh) and James (Jbay) had met and ridden together before. That didn't stop James from blinking, however. :roll:
brad_james_4365q.jpg

next - pictures inside...

Last edited:
Well the pictures inside didn't fare too well - the wall decorations pretty much overloaded everything else:
wall_4371q.jpg

I thought that the two gals assigned to us (34 count, I think) did a great job.
staff_4367q.jpg

(the picture is for my son :trust: )

There were 3 big tables with 8-10 folks in each. The late comers were squoze in until we had to add one more table:
paul_sam_rita_dwayne_4373q.jpg

Paul (st driver) is from the Brigeport area
Sam (shrek) is from Midlothian
Rita and Dwayne (DwayneInfo) are from Houston

Here is my list of participants, taken from my notes - let me know if I didn't get something right:

Ken (KenH), Yamaha TW200
Chris (dirt bomb), Kawasaki KLR650
Rich (Simmons1), Kawasaki KLR650
Chris (sharkey), Suzuki Burgman 650
Pat (coupe930), Suzuki DL1000
Dody (ghostrider1964), Suzuki DL1000
Rod (Mr2mch), Suzuki DL650
Josh (Texfire), Suzuki DL650

Brad (jbh), Yamaha FJR1300
Ed (ed29), Yamaha FJR1300
Elzi (TexasShadow), Suzuki DL650
CR (cporter3), Suzuki DL650
Don (?), Suzuki DL650
Rachel (echo_boom), Kawasaki EX-250
Bill (DFW_Warrior), Suzuki DL1000
Brandy (2-up with Bill)
Chris (stinky93071), Triumph ST

Bill (Graubart), Suzuki DL650
Loretta (with Bill but in her own vehicle)
James (Jbay), Triumph Tiger
Sam (shrek), Kawasaki KLR650
Clay (AutoRotate), Triumph Tiger
Chuck (Gilk51), Suzuki DL650
Kurt (txmedic), BMW GS
Art (aharbi), Suzuki DL1000

I think these guys caged together:
John (trainman)
Rick (NR but may use roadrash)
Jim (NR but may use bankshot) looking to get a KLR

Scott (KawRider), Kawasaki ZRX1200
Justin (MusicMan754), Suzuki DL1000
Paula (Songstress118) 2-up with Justin
Dwayne (DwayneInfo), Suzuki DL1000
Rita - 2-up with Dwayne
Paul (st driver), Suzuki DL650

Steve (zorba), BMW GS
John (ole buddy) BMW GS

Looks like 36. Did I miss anyone? :ponder:

Last edited:
josh_4364q.jpg

Hmmm, when I'm not on the bike those pants put the bag into baggy... :lol2: For that matter the jacket might put the ugh into Ugly, but you aren't going to miss it without trying really hard.

Great BBQ, especially the ribs. Oh, and the next time someone says order the kids plate I'm going to take him at his word. The portions were huge. The peach cobbler was delicious.

The part I love the most about this ride, and the pie runs is getting the chance to meet people in person after talking to them on the site. Ghostrider1964 and Mr2mch were very knowledgeable about the surrounding area and showed us some of the tastier roads. Though I think the "lost" dog wasn't really chasing us, but knew that some of us were lost and wanted to help "shepherd" us back onto the straight and narrow path. I have no idea what the names of some of those roads were, but with the tracking feature I'll be able to pull them off my GPS.

A couple of thoughts about how the Wee performed on this ride. The new Givi windshield was a definite improvement. Between that and the Madstad brackets I was able to dial out most of the turbulence. Though I never got to the point where I could ride with my faceshield open, there was still a fair amount of air coming around the sided of the screen. I'm going to have to buy some mirror extenders, I suspect that some of the turbulence is coming from the sides after hitting the mirrors, and Art had a cool set with some RAM mounts over the original mounting holes. The new gel seat is eagerly awaited, the stock was good for about 100 miles before my butt started complaining. And I think some better gloves and an electrical vest are in order before riding in those temperatures again. And thicker socks, my toes and fingers were freezing by the time I got to Glen Rose. I can also report that the Wee will reach 100 mph, actual speed by GPS that is, before the rider chickens out. I'm sure that it's able to go faster, probably with a different rider. ;)

Oh, and a cold Shiner Black tastes so good after a long ride. Two taste better. :)

I thought that the two gals assigned to us (34 count, I think) did a great job.
staff_4367q.jpg

(the picture is for my son :trust: )

Sure it was... :trust:

Looks like y'all had a good time. :eat: Food and :rider: riding, it don't get much better.

Where did you find the sign in the last picture, Paul?

Nevermind - had to be Cool, Texas. :doh:

A few more pictures after everyone got themselves stuffed.

Just talking & gawking
parkinglot_4374q.jpg

Paul (st driver) has made several Hammonds events
paul_4375q.jpg

Scott (KawRider) had the lone ZRex, usually they come in packs :eek2:
scott_4376q.jpg

Brad (jbh) was talking to this couple initially, but they were from Virginia and had flown to Dallas and rented a BMW motorcycle and then did some touring. They were on their way back to Dallas to fly home. Brad had used the same rental guy when checking out bikes. I messed up & didn't give them an "Everywhere Texas" DVD (which I had in the top case), but did give them a TWT card. Rob, and Elli, if you read this & send me a private message (gotta register to do that), I'll mail you one.
rob_elli_virginia_4377q.jpg

Poor Scott had rolled back to get out of Dodge but was acosted by the Beemer Brothers - Steve (zorba) and John (ole buddy), both from Sulpher Springs. They talked for a while before turning Scott loose.
scott_steve_john_4378q.jpg

One last shot of the parking lot - do you think there is any significance to the Bail Bonds place being next door? ;-)
parkinglot_4379q.jpg

-------

While talking with Ed and Elzi, I learned that FM917 between Egan and Joshua was torn up and just had gravel for 6 miles. So, we opted to take a more direct route home. I took off to the west to pick up FM51 to Granbury with sharkey and coupe930. We caught up with DFW_Warrior, Brandy, Stinky, and Rachel_boom about half way up. Pat stayed on 51 to stay in the general direction of North to Denton. Truimph Chris split off at Granbury. Burgman Chris and I opted for FM1187 while Bill/Brandy/Rachel continued on 377 to I20.

Not a whole lot of miles, but I was tired when I got home. Thanks for all who came a good way to join us - Dwayne and Rita from Houston and Steve and John from Sulpher Springs, especially.

Thanks to Hammonds for reserving several tables for us and stuffing us to the gills.

I suspect that there will be a 4th annual one of these next year... :trust:

:rider: :eat: :rider:

Last edited:
One last shot of the parking lot - do you think there is any significance to the Bail Bonds place being next door? ;-)
parkinglot_4379q.jpg

-------

I was wondering about that but since none of the dirty side appear to have been there.... :lol2:

Sure it was... :trust:

Looks like y'all had a good time. :eat: Food and :rider: riding, it don't get much better.

She looked like good daughter-in-law material. ;-)

Looks like there were 29 bikes.
14 V-Stroms (8 650s and 6 1000s, though I might have misjudged one or two)
3 KLRs
1 T-dub
1 Burgman
2 FJRs
1 Ninjer 250
3 Triumphs (2 Tigers, 1 ST)
3 BMWs, All GSs
1 lone ZRex

and there were a couple of 4-wheelers...

:thumb:

Last edited:
I was wondering about that but since none of the dirty side appear to have been there.... :lol2:

Well, the dual sport group was there and I saw several trucks with dirt bikes loaded on the ride home. They were out but just not stopping for BBQ!

I want to thank everyone that braved the cold temps to grace my little town. I think that we made a few more Hammond's converts. :eat:

I'm guessing that 14 Stroms is a record for one of these events. :clap:

Afterwards,Elzi, Ed and I cruised out to Dinosaur Valley State Park. It really is a neat park, and as a local, I don't get out there often enough. I am going to try to change that. I didn't have my camera with me, but hope that Ed posts up some photos of Elzi and her dino-buddies. :lol2:

The ride there was cozy in my heated vest and with heated hand grips... and 6 layers. Cobbler was excellent; finished mine last night at home. Great to see all of you; new riders and favorite regular riders. I only get to see some of you once or twice a year.

Thanks to Bill :clap: for the tour through the Dino Park. I've wanted to go there for some time and now I think I have a few candidate camping spots picked out. Some nice hiking opportunities there and the river is very inviting. And I got to visit and chat with my two favorite dino species: T-rex and Bronti.

Found another Texas place to visit and mark (ride to and document small towns with odd names) near Glen Rose. I see a trip there in the future combined with cobbler.

Kurt, when I ride down to Austin for a weekend, I'll treat you to an Amy's ice cream. Good to see you again :clap:

Nice to see such a variety of bikes. 23F isn't really that cold. For me, it's a balmy ride to work.:lol2:

And not a single digit salute in the bunch.:clap: I would, however, like to see some food pics.

I miss TX BBQ. I guess I need to ride there and get some.:rider:

Just wanted to say, thanks for letting the three "Cagers" set at the same tables with the ones who rode their bikes. I felt bad not riding my bike especialy when we all came out after eating and everyone was going for a back roads ride. Oh, by the way, the cage was a comfortable 75 degrees both comming and going.

John-Trainman
Jim-ComputerGuy
Rick-RoadRocket

I would, however, like to see some food pics.

oops, I forgot - I have one but it is not pretty. :giveup:

I hope it is th only casulty of the day - the buttermilk pie that I brought home. :-(

pie_error_4381q.jpg

Apparently, it wasn't secure on top of the other stuff in the top case and slid around, ending up not level. :doh:

However, it doesn't seem to bother my son. We dumped the filling back in the pan and he has polished off 25% of it already. :eat:

:lol2:

Last edited:
THE BEST LIL BBQ HOUSE IN TEXAS....well one of the best anyway. &&&&

A great ride to meet up with some great riders from all around.Then go inside,sit down and get down to the "meat" of the matter.I'll be lookin forward to the next one.

Thanx to the Art & Josh from Austin area & fellow Wacoan James for hangin in there on our(Dody & myself) ride back THE LONG WAY DOWN...My rides always seem to take just a lil bit longer...too many nice roads to not miss. Hope I didn't get ya'll home too late. Rod

Back