• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Louisiana Dualsport Ride

Good pics...I think it's funny that Dr Blackbird and Doctor Z are probably the only guys actually AT work today and not playing on the 'net and braggin bout how much fun they had:mrgreen:

Keep em comin. I wish I had some way to upload my pics.:doh:

When we got back to Scott's place, we (I tried to tell them I could do it but there were lots of helping hands in the mix) pulled the carb and although it looked almost spotless, I cleaned it out and put it back in. Running great again. Must have been something in there, although we never did see/find it.

Sweet, I'm glad you got her running again. I can only imagine how it would be running through that mud with a clogged carb. No fun at all.

Looks like the guy on the Lime Green KLR had the most fun! :lol2:

Raul, did you actually burn up the clutch on the strom? That takes some doing on a wet clutch!? Sell it, get a KLR or DR, you will not regret it. The strom is a great street (and smooth dirt/gravel road) bike and only a marginal DS bike ;-)

Keep em comin. I wish I had some way to upload my pics.:doh:

What's halfway between Stafford and Beaumont that has decent grub? I'll meet you for lunch with the cable to get the pics.

Looks like the guy on the Lime Green KLR had the most fun! :lol2:

Raul, did you actually burn up the clutch on the strom? That takes some doing on a wet clutch!? Sell it, get a KLR or DR, you will not regret it. The strom is a great street (and smooth dirt/gravel road) bike and only a marginal DS bike ;-)

I am not sure about burn, the oil looks very clean. It may be just worn out, I got the bike with 16000 miles already and I have put about 3000. I have questions about playing with the clutch while the bike was up, could the oil move away from the clutch?

I may be shopping for a dirt bike in the fall.

I am not sure about burn, the oil looks very clean. It may be just worn out, I got the bike with 16000 miles already and I have put about 3000. I have questions about playing with the clutch while the bike was up, could the oil move away from the clutch?

I may be shopping for a dirt bike in the fall.

Fall is a bad time to sell. Sell in the spring while everyone has the itch... Waiting until fall will just make your bike that much older ;-)

Fall is a bad time to sell. Sell in the spring while everyone has the itch... Waiting until fall will just make your bike that much older ;-)

I am not selling the Strom. I just hope to get my hands on a cheap post WWII dirt bike. I'll wait for fall/ winter to get a "get it out of my hands" deal.

There were two little yellow bikes. Both DR, but one a Z and one an SM. The Z was MUCH more suited to the terrain - the big difference (I think) is the wheel size and tire choice.

Have you seen the new Yammie XT250? If you have, how do you think it would have done on this ride?

Mike

I think that's what David (FJR Bandit) was riding in Big Bend. I think it would have been fine with the right tires. A big GS could have made (most if not) all of it with the right rider.

I think that's what David (FJR Bandit) was riding in Big Bend. I think it would have been fine with the right tires. A big GS could have made (most if not) all of it with the right rider.

Not Ewan McGreggor though...:lol2: it would have been "so haaaaawd"

First let me start by again thanking Scott for putting together the ride, MxTaco for a place to stay on Friday night and everyone else for helping me pick up my bike again, and again, and again. This was my first group ride and the first real ride offroad since running around my grand-parents farm on an RT100 fifteen years ago. Although my new screen name should be GreenSubmarine or GrndLvnKLR, I had a great time.

I logged 615 miles in the saddle this weekend. Left Houston 'bout 5 on Friday afternoon and promptly scooted east on the surface roads toward Liberty. Unfortunately my dancing D606's led me straight to 10 miles of grooved road being repaved on 1960. Just my luck. Hold on!

A few hours later as the temps dipped in the 30's I met up with MxTaco at his family hunting ranch just north of Jasper. A few drinks and discussion of bikes had us ready for some shut-eye. But not for long. About midnight the house phone rings. MxTaco sleeps like a hibernating bear, so I ansered. "Hello." "Hello, this is Raul. I'm at a house and I'm not sure if it's the right one and I don't want to get shot." This Raul is a smart guy. "No, problem." I stepped outside, thus saving Raul from an untimely meeting with his maker. Raul shook of the cold and to sleep we went.

At 7 the alarm went off. Squecky and Dr.Blackbird had already been on the road for 2 hours, but it still seemed early. A look out the door confirmed that it was still cold.

100_0091.jpg

Nonetheless, the bikes, and Louisiana's curvey dirt roads beckened.

100_0090.jpg

MxTaco and Raul exchanged greetings and we set off for Leesville. A quick call from Squeaky and Doc confirmed that they were arriving, so a quick stop at DQ filled our stomach's with greasy goodness (sorry no pics of the biscuits or funny stares from the locals.) What haven't you ever seen somebody pull up on a dirt-bike at 8 in the morning when it's 30 degrees outside? Jeez. Get on board!

A few minutes later we arrived at Scott's friends house is Leesville, made introductions, and set off for a quick Exxon stop for gas and water. Squecky had her first fall in the parki...wait, sorry, wrong story. Scott led us out of Leesville North onto muddy NP roads. They had the consitency of ground chicken snot and quickly provided some entertainment.

100_0092.jpg

Raul, ever vigalent, muscled the wee-strom through the mud. About 10 minutes later we had a little scare when Scott decided to crash test his fancy windshield. Sadly the windshield did not pass the test. Perhaps his next model will be airbag-equipped. Yes, that's a shard of his windshield just to his right. :doh:

100_0095.jpg

The rest of day one consisted of some submarine action, tight two-track trails, a heroic 4 man wee-strom lift, and an apartment carb clean-out. From the video you can see why I didn't have a moment or a breath to stop and take pictures. We also nearly had a run in with the locals in Nag-tish and MxTaco's horn seemed to be malfunctioning whenever he passed some college coeds. Funny horn, that one.

Stay tuned for day two. :rider:

Day two saw Raul and Joe depart. Raul because of his nearly roasted clutch and Joe for his Hannah Montana fetish. I didn't ask.

Ely, a random KLR rider from Fort Worth staying at our hotel, joined us for the mornings ride. We set off on the twisty road that paralleled Cane Creek Lake. A few plantations dotted the scenery and we made a couple of photo-op stops.

100_0112.jpg

After the river road we departed the black-ribbon of pavement and became intimately familiar with the Louisiana mud and clay. Several of us, including me, got a little too up close and personnel, but perhaps the best get off what Dr. Blackbirds. Finding the road a bit too rutted and muddy he set off across a field and planned to overtake MxTaco. Just as Trey saw the approaching assualt he realized that the bike and riding passing him were no longer upright. Doc made a nice furrow through this puddle and slid another 20 feet. As soon as we confirmed he was okay we all had a good laugh.

100_0127.jpg

The rest of the trail led us on a jaunt through river-front farmland finally bringing us up onto the levees. But that dry road was short lived. Back onto the mud-flats we headed.

100_0133.jpg

My KLR confirmed its obedience by laying down whenever I directed it to do so. Unfortunately I wasn't aware as the moment approached either. Most of the time I managed to keep it upright and in good spirits.

100_0140.jpg

Scott led us through a bit more mud-strewn farm-paths and finally onto the pavement back to Leesville. MxTaco and I said our good-buys and started the trek back to Texas.

Unfortunately, just before the border we had the opportunity to meet one of Louisiana's finest.

100_0148.jpg

He nabbed us doing 67 in a 55 and then 70 when he pulled out behind us. I could have sworn that sign said 65 officer. He pulled our licenses had one look and said we could do whatever we wanted when we crossed that river, but to slow it down a bit until then. Glad to escape without a ticket we made our way west. Parting ways in Burkesville where MxTaco was going to stop for gas and then turn North to drop by the hunting ranch, I headed west on 190 and back to Houston.

Looking forward to next time!! :rider:

Left Houston 'bout 5 on Friday afternoon and promptly scooted west on the surface roads toward Liberty. Unfortunately my dancing D606's led me straight to 10 miles of grooved road being repaved on 1960. Just my luck. Hold on!

Well, there's your first problem - you're supposed to go EAST out of Houston. :lol2:

A quick call from Squecky

S Q U E A K Y :rolleyes:

How many different ways can we spell Squieky?
;-)

Great reports, folks. Thanks for sharing with us non-weatherproof-adventurers!

The quaint town was a surprise - but a welcome one. It was a nice night for a stroll.

264041126_VD493-O.jpg

Spent many an hour on the banks of the Cane River.

The architectural details reminded me of the French Quarter in NO.

264041209_rkqcp-O.jpg
The architectural details of the oldest town in the Louisiana Purchase? N.O. is just a cheap copy.

looks like yaull had another good ride.very cool video and great background music.did yaull try the meat pockets in nac.?raul i know where there are two mint 06 klrs with less than 2k miles for sale.if your intrested pm me.when is the next ride the ot is almost over and im ready.:eat:

Back