• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Getting gasoline - what price for you?

It has to be moved to the refineries on the coasts, then shipped back to you in the middle of nowhere. Bet you thought you were somewhere, didn't you?

Then why is CA the most expensive in the nation?????????????

yea I think the ethanol gives us worse gas milage. my truck use to get 18.5mpg before ethanol. now it gets around 17.5mpg

yea I think the ethanol gives us worse gas milage. my truck use to get 18.5mpg before ethanol. now it gets around 17.5mpg
Yup, my VFR got 220 miles per tank, and after ethanol, 200. Sad logic someone had.

Yes, you are correct. Ethanol produces about a 15% loss in MPG, Which is why I wonder how it has become our saving grace. The amount of water required to produce Ethanol is insane, and clean drinking water is already a problem in many areas of the country (although when you build in dry arid areas of the country and have a boom in population, what are we suppose to expect).

Wayne

Why would you put Ethanol in your VFR??

Because government edicts prohibit allowing consumers to have a choice... all in the name of protecting the consumers of course... :suicide:

Because government edicts prohibit allowing consumers to have a choice... all in the name of protecting the consumers of course... :suicide:

Seriously, from a mechanical point of view, why would you want to put Ethanol in your bike? That does not sound like a good idea to me...

Would you care to develop your point? This really is something I don't know about.

From what I have heard from other folks - and I don't have any hard references - is that gas distribution depots in metropolitan areas have 10% ethanol added to all gasoline grades prior to distribution.

Rural areas supposedly do not have this.

I have tried all of the major retail stations - Shell, ExxonMobil, Chevron/Texaco and all have a disclaimer on the pumps "ethanol might be added" (emphasis mine).

So, it is extremely hard to determine whether you are getting it or not. From my gas mileage lately, I can't tell the difference from any of the above three - my mileage is down from a year ago.

Would you care to develop your point? This really is something I don't know about.

Pretty much what Gill said, if you read the fine print around the pump, up to 10% ethanol might be added. So, I assume the worst, and I have seen my fuel economy drop and can interpolate from there. Just another way the man is holding you down :doh:

What protection??

:tab Exactly my point! :-P

:tab However, all the regulations that control our choices are ALWAYS justified on the basis of protecting consumers from abuses of the "Free Market". Of course, the reality is a greatly reduced range of choices or even the complete elimination of choice altogether.

:tab Gore-Tex, I don't know how you could have missed it all these last few years, but the government has heavily subsidized the fuel ethanol industry in the name of developing alternative energy sources and breaking our "dependency" on foreign energy. Part of that has involved all kinds of whacky mandates regarding ethanol content in our fuels, kind of like they did with MTBE some years back. As usual, this has had destructive effects that our visionary leaders failed to see. Prices for corn have been skyrocketing, affecting prices for feed stock, corn syrup, and many other products. Most of the gas stations around my area, "rural" Huntsville, have the warning stickers that the gas MAY contain up to 15% ethanol. Given the horrible mpg I have been getting for the last year or so, I would speculate that the MAY has been DOES :argh:

:tab So now, not only do I have to buy even more gas because of the nearly 20% decrease in mpg as a result, I am having to pay more for it because of the incessant devaluation of the dollar and its affect on the price of gas. I am always amazed that people's number one fear of having no government is crime. It is as if they are blind to the cost of government. We would stand a FAR better chance protecting our wealth and standard of living from everyday criminals than we could ever hope to have against the legal plunder we all suffer at the hands of the very government that is supposed to be protecting us from the criminals... :doh:

I am always amazed that people's number one fear of having no government is crime. It is as if they are blind to the cost of government. We would stand a FAR better chance protecting our wealth and standard of living from everyday criminals than we could ever hope to have against the legal plunder we all suffer at the hands of the very government that is supposed to be protecting us from the criminals... :doh:

So, aren't you glad we aren't getting as much government as we are paying for?:eek2:

I saw gas in Calf. for $5.40 a gal. Sure was glad I didn't need any.

Last edited:
This would be no utopia if there was no government. However, I believe the crime rate would drop dramatically. Criminals would suffer a much increased risk of meaningful consequences for their socially aberrant behavior, like getting shot. Over all, I think the kinder, gentler nation the liberals are looking for can only come from everyone having to back up one's mouth with his life.

This would be no utopia if there was no government. However, I believe the crime rate would drop dramatically. Criminals would suffer a much increased risk of meaningful consequences for their socially aberrant behavior, like getting shot. Over all, I think the kinder, gentler nation the liberals are looking for can only come from everyone having to back up one's mouth with his life.

No one ever claimed that we'd have Utopia in the absence of government :-P I think of it more as a lesser of evils kind of thing. Sure, there would be problems with no government, but I think they'd be far less severe and more readily solvable when people are actually free to make choices for themselves and to bear the costs of those decisions.

So, aren't you glad we aren't getting as much government as we are paying for?:eek2:

I saw gas in Calf. for $5.40 a gal. Sure was glad I didn't need any.

are you sure or was that diesel? Gas in Eureka, CA is hovering around $4.50/gal

Well, it's not gasoline, but I filled my F250 up today. Took three swipes of the creditcard since it shuts off at $75 per swipe. Let me see, $75 and $75 and $10 was $160. Ouch.

I have a 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel and it now gets driven pretty much only
when I need to. Meaning hauling stuff or its raining. I figure the days
of owning a 4x4 for status will pretty much be history pretty soon. Meaning
those that drive around a 4x4 and live where there isnt so much as a dirt road
much less offroad. Offroad here in the metroplex is when you drive into your
yard and wash the truck.:lol2: Guess it would be testiment to your deep pockets
to drive one of those now even though my dodge gets 18mpg in town.

GUy in a Mercedes "This gas is getting expensive, glad I didn't get a Diesel"
Guy in an F350 Diesel wearing coveralls "This ain't nothin..."

hehe

Back