• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tech Day in Rendon 6/7/08 (DFW area)

Nothing!

There is a ___ Trail, and a ___ Trail Dr. in that city. I just figured I ended up at ___ Trail Dr. due to an incorrect selection when programming my GPS.

I was close... missed it by 3.6 miles. I arrived about 12:30 and no bikes so I figured it finished up since I slept in!

We did find some green stuff in some unusual places and we appreciate it.

Scott started a collection in the book case in the living room. Marty passed the word around.

Please tell me somebody got a pic of the burning bike. :)

Talk to Soozy - she was holding the camera. :roll:

Ken made a great save with the gas tank. The rest of us hyperventelated trying to blow the flames out. :-P

bung said:
I left at about 7 pm.

Same here and there were still people and bikes out front, including Squeaky's bike on a trailer.

Please tell me somebody got a pic of the burning bike. :)

It was only a little fire. You guys are making it sound like we had to call out the National Guard or something ...well ok we did, but only a couple of them. As to pictures, I thought about stopping what I was doing and grabbing the camera, but I don't think that Hanna was going to be into posing while her bike was burning. Her bike was dubbed "Pyro" which I don't think thrilled her a great deal, but we do know that it will run now. I was very pleased to have an opportunity to work with Hanna. I found her to be a smart and remarkable young lady

Rendon & Burleson are for all practical purposes the same place. Burleson is an actual city with a zip code. We just live in the zip code. Rendon is a CDP (census designated place) there's not much here except for our very own volunteer fire dept., which we did not even call on for this event, and now a Sonic.

I also learned this morning that both Chuck and I get up to darned early on Sunday morning. Thanks Chuck! Edit: (Chuck types faster!)

This was a good bunch, thanks for coming.
Mike

Last edited:
Mike & Beth you are the greatest. You have great place, and I am like everyone else I have a bad case of garage envy. The food was truly awesome and of course you had PIE! It could not be a TWT event without pie.
I had a great time getting my hands dirty with with a bunch of great folks. I hope I was able to help a few folks. The exictment was when the bike caught on fire. I had never seen Ken move so fast to getting that gas tank out into yard. Mike, Chuck, and I trying to beat flames out with rags and blow it out with lung power. Seeing Squeaky was a wonderful suprise. Meeting all of you that I hadn't meet before was great also.
I hope I will be seeing all of again soon.
Marty

Thanks Mike and Beth! :clap:

Great tech day, great people! :clap:

I'm sorry that Hannah's bike caught fire, but it sounds like everything is ok. And it sounds like she is closer to getting the Vulcan on the road. :sun:

And Chuck was there to work his electrical wizardry so that I could find my way home with my new GPS. :lol2:

BTW, has anyone seen a long, flex handle Craftsmen ratchet? It didn't make it back into my road box and I have a feeling that I will be needing it for this upcoming weekend.

BTW, has anyone seen a long, flex handle Craftsmen ratchet? It didn't make it back into my road box and I have a feeling that I will be needing it for this upcoming weekend.

Mike was looking at one on his workbench (close to where you were working) and indicated that he didn't think he had one of those...

I just looked through my Kawasaki Green Under Seat 25 Gallon Storage Bin and noticed I made it home with a long blue-handled Phillips screwdriver. Mike, I pretty certain it's yours. I'll drop it by your place today if that's ok.

Thanks to you, Mike and Beth, for hosting this. I had a great time even though I had to leave early. I took some photos, and I'll get them posted up later today, or perhaps tomorrow.

I'm really sorry I missed Pyro. I love a good fire, especially one that doesn't cause a bunch of damage.

Wow, Mike and Beth have a nice spread. Thanks so much for your generosity in having us over. Food n drink were overflowing. I hated to up and run so fast but me and Scott were late meeting some friends at 2.

Thanks to Suzy for showing me how to undo tupperware for fluid changes.
Thanks to Bill for getting the oil in the tranny (helps if you choose the right filler hole) and thanks to Chuck and Bill for their awesome tools.

We took a scooter ride last night and it ran like a top.

I offered Ryan to strip down to a speedo and wash bikes as seductively as I knew how but he passed on my offer??

I too want to thank Mike and Beth. Your place looks a lot better than 6 years ago. I am very glad that I did not have to discharge the fire extinguisher.

From what I have read, the possessed Kawasaki was running by the end of the day....Yea...

It was a great group of people and I really enjoyed being around all of you, Thanks for allowing me to participate.

Ron

How's the Connie running now, Ron? It still sounded like it still had a slight miss when you left, but it sounded TONS better.

Don was kind enough to let me borrow the Carbtune, so I'm looking forward to seeing the difference it'll make on the Rex.

Last edited:
Re: Lost and found

I just looked through my Kawasaki Green Under Seat 25 Gallon Storage Bin and noticed I made it home with a long blue-handled Phillips screwdriver. Mike, I pretty certain it's yours. I'll drop it by your place today if that's ok.

Yep, I'm missing that one. Don't think that you have to rush over here though. Anytime you're up this way will be fine. If we're not here it'll be fine on the front porch. How'd the bike start this morning?

I'm also missing two snap on extensions and a 17mm socket. None of which is the end of the world....I have spares:mrgreen:, but if you see them in your stuff I'd take them back!

I have also found these items:
20080608Techdaylostandfound.jpg

I think the ratchet is Bills, the jack stands and drill Chuck's maybe? The wire strippers and screwdriver might actually be mine but I'm not sure. The cleaning rags were with the shop towels and hand cleaner that was brought over, but I have plenty if whoever brought them needs them, and lastly, the aforementioned black chair.

I see it didn't take long for Ron to sign up. Nice avatar. I have some pics that you may like from your last homecoming. I just need to find time to process them.

G'day,
Mike

Jack stands are mine. I'll double check for the snap on stuff.

Haven't started the bike today. I'm going for a ride this afternoon/evening. We'll see how she does then.

I brought the towels and hand cleaner with the intention of leaving that stuff there....use 'em or keep 'em in storage for the next Tech Day.....there will be another one....please :mrgreen: ?

I also wanted to add my thanks to you and your wife for being such awesome hosts!!! You guys are great!!!

Thank you Mike and Beth!!! It was my first official tech day and Hannah and I had a blast!

So when the fire broke out I had been shooting pictures of the bike as they were starting it with Ken's Clarke tank supplying the gas. The carbs were leaking, but when the bike started and blew out all that white smoke, I was waiting for it to start again so I could snap a picture that would show it was running. Next thing I knew someone shouted fire; I saw Chuck trying to blow it out; and the moment of fight or flight reflex everyone had. Mike went after the flames with a t shirt, Ken reached across the tank and shut off the gas and grabbed the burning tank and ran out of the garage with it. Marty went after the flames with something he found. I saw a little trail of fire along Ken's path that I stomped out and saw that he threw the tank quite a ways which blew out the flames all over it before it melted thru. Mike was still patting flames in the crevices. He said it kept re-catching. I don't know if he has any arm hair left. Ken lost his halfway to his elbow.

I also saw someone who was just a blur running by with the fire extinguisher which he knew EXACTLY where to grab because we had had a conversation and laugh about it earlier. Someone asked Mike if he had an extinguisher and he had answered that it was in the room right by THE PIES. The laugh at that time was "Oh yeah, No matter what, the pies will be safe."

And now to answer the picture question...when it was safe again, I realized I was carrying the camera. I believe I uttered the only profanity spoken during the whole event at THAT moment as I realized I had not snapped a picture.

Re: Lost and found

I also learned this morning that both Chuck and I get up too darned early on Sunday morning.

I don't know about the young folks but I was out like a light about 9:00 last night. :yawn:

I'm also missing two snap on extensions and a 17mm socket. None of which is the end of the world....I have spares:mrgreen:, but if you see them in your stuff I'd take them back!

I have also found these items:

and drill Chuck's maybe?

I see it didn't take long for Ron to sign up.

I am pretty sure that the drill is mine. I'll check my big tool box for any extras that might have been tossed in there...

Oh yeah - :welcome: to the forum, Ron!

I found one of the extensions and a spark plug socket in the Green Tub O' Goodness, and got them back to Mike today. I think he's still missing an extension.

..use 'em or keep 'em in storage for the next Tech Day.....there will be another one....please :mrgreen: ?

Done!

The jackstands are recovered. They were Wayne's, and one screwdriver, and extension found their way home. Bill if you'll Pm me with an address, my bike has only gone from the shop to the front of the house in about 4 days. It's itching to go somewhere.

Mike

Some pictures at regular intervals.

I was there sorta early with donuts. :trust:

Bill (Graubart) was the first customer to arrive. He had a PowerLet socket and a Zumo GPS cable to connect...
bill_4931q.jpg

Mike (mbrew), hosted the event along with Beth, his wife. Here he is listening to some tale of woe about getting a bike there on a trailer. ;-)
d70_4932q.jpg

There were several of us lusting after that garage... :deal:

It sprinkled a bit early but most folks took advantage of the garage to escape the sun. It didn't take too long and work was in full swing
working_4934q.jpg

Plenty of Euro-bikes in attendance. This is Ryan's (L8RG8R) Aprilia.
aprilia_4933q.jpg

The project bike - 1990's Vulcan 550 (I think). Hannah (KomadoreObvious) is Soozy's (Soozy) daughter and picked up the hulk from a family member. There is quite a bit to do before it will be on the streets. However, a dent was made in the list.
hannah_4935q.jpg

Hannah is quite fun to work with. Like Mike said, she's a smart cookie.
hannah_4936q.jpg

Along with the bike, they borrowed Ken's (KenH) lift so the bike was at an easier level. It's a Pep Boy's unit and worked very well.

Unloading the Vulcan
unloading_4942q.jpg

(Soozy, Dan. MIke, Hannah)

Bill (DFW_Warrior) was working on an aux fuel tank for an upcoming Alaska trip in 2 weeks
bill_4943q.jpg

Some work in progress. The read wheel is off Scott's (STScott) ST1300 so some special grease could be applied to the splines.
inwork_4944q.jpg

Bill (Graubart), "Denton" Don (donroger1), Scott (STScott), Ryan (L8RG8R)

Bill and Don work on the GPS mount for Bill's Wee-Strom
d70_4947q.jpg

Michelle (fjrchik) and Marty (voyagerrider) working on grips and foot pegs on Michelle's FJR
d70_4948q.jpg

Wayne (pacman1) called and requested help. A rescue trailer was dispatched and he, his Rex, and green box appeared. He had carburetor issues
d70_4950q.jpg

Working on the ZRX
zrx_work_4951q.jpg

(Bill, Marty, Wayne, Ron)

More later...

I also wanted to say "Thank YoU' to Mike and Beth. Bert and I had a great time. Good to see some folks we've met before and meet some new people. Here are some of my pictures from yesterday...

td9.jpg

td8.jpg

td7.jpg

td6.jpg

td4.jpg

td3.jpg

td2.jpg

td12.jpg

td11.jpg

td10.jpg

td1.jpg

How's the Connie running now, Ron? It still sounded like it still had a slight miss when you left, but it sounded TONS better.

DON was kind enough to let me borrow the Carbtune, so I'm looking forward to seeing the difference it'll make on the Rex.

Fixed it for ya...............
(This may be the only record of who it belongs to................) ;-)

Oh. and :welcome: rontx
Nice to see you sign up and post up Ron!

Back